Here's a little cheap trick to make DR turn signals brighter...

7 replies to this topic
  • bigboy292000

Posted September 22, 2007 - 08:25 PM

Washed my bike today (had so many bugs on the front that I think it made the front end heavier LOL) and as I was finishing up I was looking at the stock turning signal, wondering if it is reflective on the inside at all...

So I took the amber plastic off just to find out that it is not really reflective. The inside is black plastic with a quick (and incomplete) spray of silver-ish color.

Had some 3M reflective tape lying around and I put two pieces behind bulbs on both sides on the back and you know what - I swear it is noticeably brighter when looking from the back?

Plan on doing the front too, and need to check the brake light too - not sure what kind of reflector is in there...

There you go... a quick cheap mod, every bit helps I guess!

• Win3855

Posted September 22, 2007 - 08:41 PM

Excellent idea!! Wonder if tin foil would work? I will give it a try.

• Daddy007

Posted September 23, 2007 - 01:20 AM

Krylon makes a specialty reflective spray paint that goes on clear, but reflects white light from the painted part. The paint is hard to find in stores, but makes the swingarm, front forks, rims, spokes, etc. light up when headlights hit them. Maybe it would work inside the light fixtures?
In anycase, great idea. Thanks.

• wood_man

Posted September 23, 2007 - 04:48 AM

Great idea, did you use the silver metallic duct tape?

• bigboy292000

Posted September 23, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Great idea, did you use the silver metallic duct tape?

Nope I had a little bit of 3M reflective tape that I bought at Autozone earlier to put a bit of it on my Helmet and on my top Givi case. So it was an actual reflective tape stuff, adhesive on one side.

I am guessing that foil would work if you had some double sided tape to hold it in place.

• fl-cracker

Posted September 23, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I've had tin foil in mine for over a year. Don't know if it helps but seemed like a good idea at the time.

• MtnDR

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:28 AM

I put foil in mine too. I think it makes a big difference.

• Clear-a-Path

Posted September 25, 2007 - 08:29 AM

Great idea...i think you could use foil tape used for ducting, Home Depot sells it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.