Newbieee Question

4 replies to this topic
  • CuLayTur

Posted March 18, 2002 - 07:40 AM

I would like to introduce myself. I purchased a used 1998 WR 400 here in Colorado Springs back in January and man is this bike the bomb. I used to ride a XT 225 to learn the basic and needed a bike with more power and a suspension. I found this site when I was doing research on types of bike and have been lurking for a while, reading everything I can about this bike.

Now I have a question I hope someone can answer. The last time I have ridden the bike, I noticed that I was leaking fork oil from under the seal. It wasn't pouring out, but enough to leave a little puddle. It seem to get a little dirt under the seal, which I promply cleaned up with a thin feeler guage. I would like to add a few CC's of Fork Oil back to the shock to make up for the little that was lost. Can I do this without completely disassembling the forks? An How? Do I just bleed any air from the fork with the little screw, remove the cap bolt and add the little oil that I need. Help..

Thanks for any help.

Curt Allen

• Scott_in_KC

Posted March 18, 2002 - 07:54 AM

My first suggestion is ofcourse going to be...pull the forks off and get them serviced! It's not THAT much for seals & service. The problem is only going to get worse.

If you're attempting to add oil I suppose you could do it through the bleeder hole, but may not be able to check the level. Put the bike on a stand, front wheel raised!! Remove the top cap of the fork with a spanner wrench then do the oil that way. Check the manual for oil height recommendations. NOTE: I have not been in these particular forks yet, just going on basic knowledge of forks.

Get them serviced asap though. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SealClubber

Posted March 18, 2002 - 05:30 PM

John Olds at Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza just did my forks. He comes highly recommended around here apparently. Cost me $200 to have the forks and shocks raised back to stock length and revalved for my weight.

There is also a suspension shop in Engelwood that my Denver friends say is great but I can't find their info. Sorry.

Let me know if you ever want to go riding.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Lawrence ]

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted March 19, 2002 - 04:51 PM

Just get new seals and cleaned . things can get pretty gumed up in there . It will handle better after a good cleaning and fresh oil .

• CuLayTur

Posted March 20, 2002 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I'll be giving John Olds a call in a couple of weeks then to get the front forks a good clean and tune.

Dan, I usually ride the Divide trail system off Trout Creek road. I'll shoot you an e-mail once the trails start to dry up.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.