New WR Owner...

9 replies to this topic
  • Hollywood

Posted September 21, 2007 - 06:32 PM

I recently sold my trusty DRZ, which did me right for a long time and was a great, reliable bike. I used it for lots of dual-sport riding, woods riding and general street mayhem. As great as it was, I needed more power and less weight.

To accomplish this, I had my mind set on a KTM 525 but there was too much sticker shock. Instead, I found lightly used 04 WR450 that was plated and minimally legal for a more than fair price.

The previous owner seems to have taken good care of the bike and has performed all of the free mods.

Some pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't been able to get in the woods yet, but so far around the neighborhood I'm sure that the neighbors are tired of my marvel at how easily this bike puts the front wheel skyward...:thumbsup:

Ride report coming soon...

Hollywood

• PROWLER 58

Posted September 21, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Looks like you got a great bike. Enjoy

• cltrobd

Posted September 21, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Very cool! That's great that the free mods have already been performed. I think they're a must if you're going to ride on the street. As is from the factory, a person could get into some real problems on the street.

I've been thinking about trying to get mine plated so I can get more use out of it. Question - is the bike street legal as shown in your photos? I don't see turn signals, only one mirror, and it appears to have the same tires that come stock.

I only ask these questions because that would be the ideal - less stuff to add on keeping weight down plus less to damage when off-roading and not having to swap tires back and forth would be the way to go. I realize the requirements vary from State to State - just curious.

• Beejay

Posted September 21, 2007 - 11:36 PM

looks like you got yourself a bargain, that bike looks new for an 04, obviously well cared for by the previuos owner. Good luck with it!

• snowman02

Posted September 22, 2007 - 06:47 AM

Bike looks awsome, sounds like you got a great deal. You won't be disappointed. I bought my 02 used and I have yet to regret. Enjoy bro.....:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jpoehls

Posted September 22, 2007 - 06:51 AM

Sweet looking bike. I too came from a DRZ. The DRZ was a nice bike, but the WR is a fantastic bike due to less weight in the woods and power to burn.

That 04 looks in perfect shape. I have the 07, but probably paid double or more for what you have. My needs get the best of me.

Someone asked about signals. In Utah they are optional. You need one mirror, a good head and tail light. I had the dealer install Baja kit and Q4 pipe, and they did all the mods. I fealt much safer putting on signals and the Baja versus not having. The weight difference is like maybe 5 pounds or less. I did not notice. I did install a tool bag on fender. That probably added more weight than anything up high. Still hardly notice as it is behind me over tire.

You'll love your bike in the woods. You may want to modify sprockets pending your riding style and where you ride. I am 13 / 50.

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 22, 2007 - 02:14 PM

I recently sold my trusty DRZ, which did me right for a long time and was a great, reliable bike. I used it for lots of dual-sport riding, woods riding and general street mayhem. As great as it was, I needed more power and less weight.

To accomplish this, I had my mind set on a KTM 525 but there was too much sticker shock. Instead, I found lightly used 04 WR450 that was plated and minimally legal for a more than fair price.

The previous owner seems to have taken good care of the bike and has performed all of the free mods.

I haven't been able to get in the woods yet, but so far around the neighborhood I'm sure that the neighbors are tired of my marvel at how easily this bike puts the front wheel skyward...:thumbsup:

Ride report coming soon...

Hollywood

You took my name! And i just bought a wr450 too! It's allota bike I have found!

• Nostalgic

Posted September 22, 2007 - 06:18 PM

You took my name! And i just bought a wr450 too! It's allota bike I have found!

Did he attach a flux capacitor to his dirtbike?

Just kidding...:thumbsup:

• pYura

Posted September 24, 2007 - 09:11 AM

Its lighter and more powerful than a DRZ. How much? I rode an YZ for a couple of minutes but it didnt scare me. What are the main differences compared to the DRZ? Which feels more "comfortable"?

• MojaveThumper

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:43 PM

Congrats on the new purchase. Looks in great shape.

Don't know about the neighbors but know the cali cops don't them on the road let alone when with the front wheel up in the air as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Enjoy, they are a blast in the dirt and surprising nimble.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.