Just bought a 1993 kx250

17 replies to this topic
  • evo125

Posted September 17, 2007 - 01:30 PM

i am a honda guy so i know nothing about the kx line up. i have an oportunity to buy a 1993 kx250 with 98 forks on it. it has been rebuilt and has a new clutch in it. My question is how dose it compair power and handling wise to a 1993 cr250? is this 93 kx a good bike?

• KDXGarage

Posted September 17, 2007 - 05:13 PM

The condition of the bike is going to be one of the larger concerns. An older bike in great shape is usually better than a clapped out (just a few years old) bike. Both models you mention are 15 years old, so keep that in mind.

Good in its time? Yes.

• evo125

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:02 PM

the 93-96 cr250 power plant is the strongest red has ever produced. they easily pull with new bikes. i know i can be competitve on a older cr250 but dont know how the kx pulls. is it a hard hitting mid range or lots of top end wheel spinning power? and suposedly the 98 forks it has are one of the best years. i was looking for 93-96 cr250s but ran across this kx which spured my intrest but i have never rode a kawi.

• KDXGarage

Posted September 18, 2007 - 05:55 PM

The newer bikes make more power. For example, from the May 2005 Dirt Bike magazine and a dyno chart from FMF:

"The '94 CR250 made pretty good power for the time. It wasn't in the KX loop, but everyone craved the balance of power. Today, we'd send that beast straight to the crusher. Over five horsepower and two thousand rpm more carry highlight the traits of the '05."

• kxracer987

Posted September 19, 2007 - 05:46 PM

the 93-96 cr250 power plant is the strongest red has ever produced. they easily pull with new bikes. i know i can be competitve on a older cr250 but dont know how the kx pulls. is it a hard hitting mid range or lots of top end wheel spinning power? and suposedly the 98 forks it has are one of the best years. i was looking for 93-96 cr250s but ran across this kx which spured my intrest but i have never rode a kawi.

I don't know a lot about the 93 kx250 but I do no that the 98 forks were one of the best years.:thumbsup:

• cnorton

Posted September 19, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Back in the day I went from a 93 KX250 to a new 96 CR250, the CR handled better but the suspension was horrible compared to my KX, both bikes bone stock, the KX was all mid to top power the CR had better usable power everywhere.

• evo125

Posted September 21, 2007 - 03:46 PM

thanks for all the replys guys.

i bought the kx 250 for a grand. explosive midrange that carries into the top. i am impressed with the motor. i am goin to post pics and info on a new thread tho.

• evo125

Posted September 21, 2007 - 03:58 PM

i bought this thing for a grand. i have been exclusivley a honda guy untill now. Team green all the way:thumbsup: it needs a little maintenence till i can really rod on the beast but from the ridding i have done i really like this bike. the motor has some crazy midrange. and the 98 front forks that are on it are really plush but still crisp. the rear shock is way out of adjustment and is really harsh right now, but i will fix that. i raised the forks up in the tripples 4mm and now it handles very nicley, insidle lines are no problem.

hear are two pix of the bike and one of extras that came with it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• kxracer987

Posted September 21, 2007 - 04:28 PM

cool, glad you like it. Throw a pic up in the pics of kawi 2-strokes thread at the top of the page.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smile661

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:06 PM

thats awesome, my uncle just bought a well used 91 kx 250 with lots of aftermarket parts on it, including, FMF gold series fatty, performance reeds, etc. i've been riding it and i love it, hopefully i'll get a YZ 125 this spring!:thumbsup:

• Jeekinz

Posted September 25, 2007 - 05:11 AM

My 98 forks were a pain in the rear. Revalved and changed to a straight rate spring with help them out. Keep an eye on the fork seals as well.

98 KX250 suspension was OK, but the motor was awesome.

• evo125

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:07 PM

okay.
i got the front fork set to stock settings as a base line for adjustments, same for the rear shock. the bike now has a much better feel and the rear is not as harsh. I still have to check and possibly adjust my rear sag. i lubed the throttle tube and the works. i bled the front brake but it still has minimal braking power and some spongyness to the lever. the manual gives no suggestions as what to do next. oh and i ripped all the dumb stickers off, it now just has the graffics and one asv sticker on the fender.

i just checked out eric gorr's mx and offroad performance handbook from the library, it should help me with getting things sorted out on my bike. but any advise is greatly apreciated.

thanks for the advise jeekinz. the seals look great but i will watch them, as for the srings i will just have to try different things and see what works best.

• evo125

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:16 PM

thats awesome, my uncle just bought a well used 91 kx 250 with lots of aftermarket parts on it, including, FMF gold series fatty, performance reeds, etc. i've been riding it and i love it, hopefully i'll get a YZ 125 this spring!:thumbsup:

an fmf fatty and reeds will be my first mods to this bike. the yz125 is a great bike and should be lots of fun. 125s are nice and snappy, something you loose with a 250. which is a good thing, cause 250s have lots more power and would not be usable if they spooled like a small bore. i do regret having to sell my evo cr125 to get this kx250 but it was a massive step up and love my green machine.

• Mattallica

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:21 PM

I had a 93 KX250 a few years back...absolute beast...easy design to the motor as far as rebuilds went,...could tear down/rebuild the top end and in less than an hour and have it running again.
I liked the ergoes of the bike compared to the newer CR's of the time that I rode.
Had problems with the fork seals on mine and the brakes were nothing fantastic,kinda mushy feeling...which was a Kawi thing IIRC.
overall an awesome bike...I absolutely loved mine on trails....sold it becuase I took up mx riding and figured I'd be best off starting out on a 125...which probably saved my life!!LOL:thumbsup:

• evo125

Posted September 26, 2007 - 05:51 PM

yeah
ive been reading and it seems kawis have front brake issues. but i learned that kawis power valve from 93 to 00 is one of the most effective valves out their. but all the moving parts means they are harder to time and needs to be cleaned more often.

• mbogosia

Posted September 27, 2007 - 04:03 AM

This is a very encouraging thread. I just got a 2001 kx 250 and hope it will last me many years. Knowing you have a 1993 that is still fun is awesome. Keep us posted on your findings.

• Jeekinz

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:27 AM

This is a very encouraging thread. I just got a 2001 kx 250 and hope it will last me many years. Knowing you have a 1993 that is still fun is awesome. Keep us posted on your findings.

As long as you take care of it and service ir properly, it will last a long time. :thumbsup:

• evo125

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:17 PM

an 01 kx250, that should be a nice bike. im definatly in love with my bike, if you guys couldent tell:ride:

it has been dry all summer and my track has dust built up on the corners, the dirt is clay. but it rained all last night and afternoon. after school today the sun poked out so when i got home i rode. the corners are mushy mud and the straights are perfect dirt offering tons of traction. my bike did very well. i dogged some of the slick hard packed corners but had no problem roosting the soft ones and straights. it was lots of fun and did very well with tires that most racers would have changed miles ago.

also i am getting used to this bike more so now the suspension seems just right. it felt to harsh earlier but now that i ride just a little harder it seems dead on. still need front brake help... big time... and the rear wheel bearings are thrashed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kx 125 Build by NzJohny

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

01 KX-125 has no power! HELPPP by crhyne1994

• 12 replies
Forums
Photo

1998 KX125 Project...What The He** Am I Doing?!?!?! by Bombo

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Precision Concepts 2003 KX 270 by smv ryder

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

kx 125 clutch basket help by mhogan1000

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.