What year/model forks for CR/USD swap for XR?

38 replies to this topic
  • jesusgatos

Posted October 09, 2007 - 07:46 PM

What did you do with those stock .47 springs?? :confused:

Still got em. Send me a PM if you want them.

• Coolidge

Posted October 24, 2007 - 01:58 PM

OK, Im just about ready to do this conversion. I bought a complete CR SHOWA USD fork set up, from a XR. (Total conversion was already done on the donor bike) I have the CR caliper bkt/caliper. I also have a CR axle & spacers. Will I be able to use my XR wheel w/CR axle & spacer? What about speedo drive? Will I have to delete it and get a Vapor or ? Is there anyway to determine what YEAR/MODEL these forks came from??? (for sure?)
Thanks for al the help so far. Much appreciated

• jesusgatos

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:36 PM

No, you will not be able to use your front wheel. You need to get a CR/F front wheel. If you get a wheel from a CRF250/450X it will have a odometer drive. Not sure if that will work with the 650 cable though.

• Coolidge

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for fast reply!

• Coolidge

Posted October 24, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Can anybody help me out w/CR frt rim year interchange? (is a 94 wheel/hub same as say, a 2001?) Im not sure exactly what year frt end I have, but it was thought to be a 2001 (I dont think so...) and forks are Showa. What year rim should I be looking for? T.I.A. (thanks in advance)

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 24, 2007 - 03:26 PM

Iwould think this would be $$ you would have to change the triple clamps also. And the front tire. This is a mod for peaple with money burning a hole in ther pocket or falling out of there a-hole! It would be cool though.

• Coolidge

Posted October 24, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Iwould think this would be $$ you would have to change the triple clamps also. And the front tire. This is a mod for peaple with money burning a hole in ther pocket or falling out of there a-hole! It would be cool though.

I already have a COMPLETE CR frt end that came off a XR (conversion done: stem/bearings/clamps, etc) I just need to fit a frt wheel. I have CR axle & spacers to go with forks, just no wheel. Yes, this conversion can be pricey, but not so much, if done right. Ive got just over 3-bills into the frt end conv. Its ready to bolt-on (less wheel) Was revlaved, new fork guards, etc. Even have new fenders. Supposedly just spent close to 800.00 from Emig racing before I got em.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:00 PM

I already have a COMPLETE CR frt end that came off a XR (conversion done: stem/bearings/clamps, etc) I just need to fit a frt wheel. I have CR axle & spacers to go with forks, just no wheel. Yes, this conversion can be pricey, but not so much, if done right. Ive got just over 3-bills into the frt end conv. Its ready to bolt-on (less wheel) Was revlaved, new fork guards, etc. Even have new fenders. Supposedly just spent close to 800.00 from Emig racing before I got em.

Yeah your out in dirt bike heaven in Cali. Deals like that are hard to come buy wher I'm from.I bet your bike trader is as thick as a phone book! :crazy:

• Rockjockey

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:39 PM

Can anybody help me out w/CR frt rim year interchange? (is a 94 wheel/hub same as say, a 2001?) Im not sure exactly what year frt end I have, but it was thought to be a 2001 (I dont think so...) and forks are Showa. What year rim should I be looking for? T.I.A. (thanks in advance)

Maybe try Service honda dot com to search front hub or wheel assembly for when the part numbers changed, or try to match inner bearing diameter to your axle outer diameter. Are the forks gold in color? I'm not sure what year but they changed to gold from silver at one point in time maybe 98 or 99.
In my experiences doing this, if you decide to sell off the parts you are removing you will regain most of what you spend on the conversion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coolidge

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Here is a pic of the frt end. Since this pic was taken, has new fork guards, skins, top clamp. Silver, not gold ano. Any clue by lookin' at it?
Thanks again
Posted Image

• jesusgatos

Posted October 25, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Are you sure those are Showa forks? Judging from the steps machined in the upper tubes, the shape of the tubes where the seals are pressed-in and the color of them, they look like 2001 or older KYB's. I'm not a Honda parts-interchange expert though, I could just as easily be wrong.

• Coolidge

Posted October 25, 2007 - 12:51 PM

JG, I just got back from my local Honda dealer (Santa Clarita Motorsports) and after much inspection and look-up on the microfische (sp?) It appears the forks are indeed SHOWA forks (have the same steps in top tube, lower tubes parts, etc). Down-side is, they are a early year model: (90 CR500). Just need to figure out the wheel deal. At least they are Showas, albeit not the twin chamber model

• Triple B

Posted October 25, 2007 - 12:57 PM

I did some reasearch and I have no idea what they are off of..........At first I thought they were 2000 or newer CR125 KYB's but now i do not know

• weskc35k

Posted October 26, 2007 - 05:53 PM

Look like older Showa's.

• Jbo

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:33 PM

Maybe I missed it but, will the CRF450 forks and triple clamps fit on a XR600?

Jbo

• Coolidge

Posted November 02, 2007 - 07:10 AM

The clamps (I believe) will work. The problem is w/the stem diameter-upper bearing. You can either machine down the CRF stem, or, Emig racing sells a conversion stem for 150.00. It is pressed in.

• nelly xr250

Posted December 29, 2007 - 02:02 PM

hello those look the same as the 1999 cr 125 items i have for my conversion but i would have to look closer only picked them up today.i know mine are adjustable for rebound and damping if thats what you meen by twin chamber.

• Potts228

Posted December 29, 2007 - 07:18 PM

JG, I just got back from my local Honda dealer (Santa Clarita Motorsports) and after much inspection and look-up on the microfische (sp?) It appears the forks are indeed SHOWA forks (have the same steps in top tube, lower tubes parts, etc). Down-side is, they are a early year model: (90 CR500). Just need to figure out the wheel deal. At least they are Showas, albeit not the twin chamber model

1990 CR forks are horrible! They really aren't worth using! The stock XR forks are much better performing!

• weskc35k

Posted December 29, 2007 - 07:50 PM

The only thing wrong with the stock forks is that they are heavy,with a fork brace and revalve the stockers work very well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.