Ok I got my 08 450 today...

20 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted September 21, 2007 - 01:57 PM

WOW....... Im in love I put about an hour on it. I like it like it is. I can tell my 06 has more bottom yes but I like how smooth it is. This thing handles like its on rails. I put sdg seat, and Protaper evo windham bends, and it was great. The suspension is so far off for me and it still handled better than my 06. Screw the reviews this bike is great, I felt faster on it after about 30 mins than I do my 06. SO SMOOTH

• Ga450owner

Posted September 21, 2007 - 02:01 PM

Congrats Matt - enjoy:applause:

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Screw the reviews ..

That pretty much sums up my philosophy.:thumbsup:

• WB450

Posted September 21, 2007 - 04:23 PM

Sweet, have fun!

• Justin89

Posted September 21, 2007 - 04:41 PM

I want one so bad, although I cant complain about my bike...congrats dude!

• steve_97060

Posted September 21, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Good for you Matt, I know you were agonizing over the decision..:thumbsup:

• swaldrop

Posted September 21, 2007 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the report. My first day on mine will be tomorrow. I broke it down and lubed it up today and just about everything (aftermarket) I had on my 250F fit right on the 450, so it's ready to go. Can't wait...

Steve

• DPW

Posted September 21, 2007 - 06:40 PM

umkay...congrats. I'm going to the the track for the first time tomorrow with my '08!

• endurodog

Posted September 21, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Ok I'm jealous, got to do some bike selling before I can get mine. Keep the reports coming guys!

• racerxx276

Posted September 21, 2007 - 09:15 PM

got mine yesterday also, going riding tomorrow. Wondering if it will corner as well as my 06.. we'll see..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga450owner

Posted September 22, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Ok guys this means that by sunday everyone must report their own reality biketest on the 08.....:thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted September 22, 2007 - 06:05 AM

I Like how the power is now, Maybe Im crazy. I am 6'5 250 pounds so you would think power would bother me more than you small guys. But I like it. It doesnt seem to have the fun factor my 06 does I will admit that. It really gets the power to the ground. Ok guys thanks for all the help, off to Mx of Nations.......:thumbsup:

• YZF831

Posted September 22, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Congrats man! Glad to hear you like it. I picked up my white 08' 450 yesterday and I'm hoping to ride it for the first time this sunday.:thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted September 22, 2007 - 04:54 PM

Ok guys this means that by sunday everyone must report their own reality biketest on the 08.....:thumbsup:

Posted Image

• swaldrop

Posted September 22, 2007 - 05:27 PM

OK. Well, I rode my 08 today for the first time and I'm not too sure what to think yet. I have been on 250F's since '03 and this is actually the first 450 I've had.

I don't think I can fairly evaluate the bike yet as I rode at a track that...
1. just had a complete track redesign and this was the first day I've ridden it and...
2. I never have really liked the track before anyway, but my buddy does. The only reason I agreed to go to this track for the big debut was because he insisted it was way better now. The track is better as far as layout, but it still has the same crappy dirt and they must have forgot to put any berms in.

All I can fairly say about the bike right now is that it felt much heavier to me in the air than the 250F's. So much so that I felt unable to scrub even in the slightest. I pretty much expected this to some extent, but it was way more noticeable than what I had thought it would be.

Again, take it for what it's worth. I am going to ride it on Thursday at a track I am much more comfortable on so I should get a better measure. Any tricks to getting this thing to 'feel' lighter?

• racerxx276

Posted September 22, 2007 - 06:53 PM

OK,

MXA should be ashamed of their test write-up... thats all I can say..

Went testing with my 06,07 and 08 today ( need to sell some of these!) . 06, 07 has applied triple clamps
Background.. race 25 years , finished top 10 in a few nationals when I was fast.. did suspension testing for one of the leading revalve CO for many years.

Bone stock.... power is very mellow off the bottom, yup , coming out of corners is smooth into the mid range , which is strong and pulls well into top end. I'd say a novice-intermediate rider will love the stock pipe/powerband.

Put on my fmf powercore slip on the 08.. Low end was very close to my 07 with the fmf on it. Was able to loft the front end coming out of corners when I choose , to skip acceleration bumps. Stock jetting ran clean at 3000 ft.

Now the good parts...bottom end was very close to my 07 but the mid to top end was soooooo fast! Much more than my 07.. It felt a lot like my 03 engine! Towards the end of the day I put the stock header from my 07 on it and got plenty of low end and it mellowed out the mid to top a bit which was a good thing. This thing is a rocketship!

LOve the motor now... Suspension was very nice as usual, seems like they might have upped the valving just a bit..

Steering.. rode it bone stock all day, never set the sag.... It corners very close to my 06, which is amazing. Will work on correct sag tomorrow and see if it can get even better, hard to believe. I will say it does have a tendency to stand up in the corners if your not commited to the turn. It felt like the sag was a bit stiff for me. will know more tomorrow..

overall very pleased with the 08. Almost didn't buy one cuz of all that cr%p that MXA said... Can't wait for the world vet nationals at glen helen in nov...I will have the holeshot!

• YZF831

Posted September 22, 2007 - 07:22 PM

OK,

MXA should be ashamed of their test write-up... thats all I can say..

Went testing with my 06,07 and 08 today ( need to sell some of these!) . 06, 07 has applied triple clamps
Background.. race 25 years , finished top 10 in a few nationals when I was fast.. did suspension testing for one of the leading revalve CO for many years.

Bone stock.... power is very mellow off the bottom, yup , coming out of corners is smooth into the mid range , which is strong and pulls well into top end. I'd say a novice-intermediate rider will love the stock pipe/powerband.

Put on my fmf powercore slip on the 08.. Low end was very close to my 07 with the fmf on it. Was able to loft the front end coming out of corners when I choose , to skip acceleration bumps. Stock jetting ran clean at 3000 ft.

Now the good parts...bottom end was very close to my 07 but the mid to top end was soooooo fast! Much more than my 07.. It felt a lot like my 03 engine! Towards the end of the day I put the stock header from my 07 on it and got plenty of low end and it mellowed out the mid to top a bit which was a good thing. This thing is a rocketship!

LOve the motor now... Suspension was very nice as usual, seems like they might have upped the valving just a bit..

Steering.. rode it bone stock all day, never set the sag.... It corners very close to my 06, which is amazing. Will work on correct sag tomorrow and see if it can get even better, hard to believe. I will say it does have a tendency to stand up in the corners if your not commited to the turn. It felt like the sag was a bit stiff for me. will know more tomorrow..

overall very pleased with the 08. Almost didn't buy one cuz of all that cr%p that MXA said... Can't wait for the world vet nationals at glen helen in nov...I will have the holeshot!

Thank you for your honest review, it was nice to hear a pleasant one instead of all the followers of the mag reviews. Thanks!:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:12 AM

Posted Image

How was the new ride DPW?

• DPW

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:57 AM

How was the new ride DPW?

In short...I love the bike, best YZ4xxF I have owned so far, no regrets over the purchase.

1.The bike corners great
2. Feels lighter in the air and just putting the bike on a stand.
3. Love the power stock...nice and smooth, the bottom end does feel a bit soft, but I never had a situation on Saturday where it was an issue or missed...it was actually quite the opposite. The bike would just hook up and go, no wheel spin. If you love the power of the '03 YZ450F then this bike will probably disappoint you with the stock power.
4. The jetting felt pretty close, no backfiring or hiccups.
5. The exhaust looks cool and is nice and quiet, but not that quiet still barks with authority and sounds good.
6. Stock suspension felt great for my 195lbs. It was just a break in day Saturday so I did not touch the suspension settings, but stock was pretty darn good and I hope it doesn't soften up too much after a couple of hours.

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:28 AM

3...The bike would just hook up and go,...If you love the power of the '03 YZ450F then this bike will probably disappoint you ...

I've said many times that the power delivery of the '03 is a lot more exciting than it is useful.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.