First off road ride with my XR650L

23 replies to this topic
  • AaronBrown

Posted September 21, 2007 - 08:17 AM

First off I need to have someone set up the suspension for me. I guess it is neither valved nor sprung for my 275 pounds.
Me and a buddy went to Brown's camp here in Oregon last weekend. He had never taken his quad out in anything but sand and I hadn't had the L off road yet. The whole way up Courtney kept talking about how they found some decapitated bodies up there a couple of months ago. It was obviously freaking him out but I didn't know that his freak out was going to bite me in the butt. A little back story about Courtney might be in order. He is a private investigator in Oregon and a bail bond enforcer in Washington. He does Kempo and was armed at the time of the ride with a 40 cal Glock. I don't know why he was being such a sissy about something that happed months ago.
Up on the top of one trail he asked if I had seen a guy out in the woods. I said no. He goes Oh well there was some guy dressed all in black creeping around in the woods back there. I didn't care what he was doing, it's public land and he wasn't bothering me. So I just said huh maybe he was a ninja, then I laughed at Courtney and told him to chill out. I felt pretty safe.There are lots of people up there on weekends and heck we were just trail riding and not messing with anybody.
Anyway through the whole ride I kept having to wait for him. He has a Raptor 700 limited edition so I think it was the rider and not the machine that was the hold up. He kept telling me to not go so fast through the tight stuff. I told him if I go any slower I will tip over. He was worried we were going to be separated and the the boogey man was going to get him.
Towards the end of our ride I noticed his quad was making a ticking noise. I asked when was the last time he had the valves checked. He just gave me questioning look. He isn't very mechanically minded. I asked him if he checked his oil before the ride and he hadn't so I suggested we should head back as it was getting late anyway. Then I noticed some tape on a tree near where we had stopped, it said "Sherrif line do not cross". I thought I would mess with Courtney a bit. I said hey look at that, I bet this is where they found those bodies, let's get out of here. There was a little hill you had to go up before you could turn around so up I went. I waited for him at the top, like I had throughout the whole ride. He comes flying up the hill like I didn't think he could. Wheelies at the top and runs right into me where I was stopped waiting for him. Bike goes down, I almost go down. I run at him with my fists doubled up then start laughing. I kind of had it coming I guess.
So I learned some stuff last Sunday.
#1 Do not ride with Quad-tards
#2 The L will do OK in the woods but only OK.
#3 Don't ride with people who don't maintain their gear, it will shorten your ride.
#4 Take off your mirrors before you ride because when a freaked out quad-tard hits you they come loose then bug the hell out of you on the ride back.
#5 I need to put some more tools in my tool bag.

The bike seems to be fine. he hit my back wheel at an angle so it just kind of fell over. Thought you guys might enjoy my first dirt ride story.

• martinfan30

Posted September 21, 2007 - 08:45 AM

LOL!!! you should consider writing a book!! very cool story. where in oregon is that?

• jonr3

Posted September 21, 2007 - 11:03 AM

Great story! Maybe Courtney had been watching too many slasher movies?

• martinfan30

Posted September 21, 2007 - 11:38 AM

i remember riding in the woods growing up(lake county ca.) and finding some creepy shit. once came across a hidden trail that about 150 yards into a stake with a helmet impaled on it all full of bullet holes. this was prime country for the pot farms. somebody put that up as a warning!:thumbsup:

• AaronBrown

Posted September 21, 2007 - 11:51 AM

LOL!!! you should consider writing a book!! very cool story. where in oregon is that?

Hwy 6 in the coast range on your way to Tillamook.

• martinfan30

Posted September 21, 2007 - 12:00 PM

that where they make the cheese that i love??

• AaronBrown

Posted September 21, 2007 - 12:18 PM

that where they make the cheese that i love??

That would be it. They have pretty good ice cream also.

• heavyhitter

Posted September 21, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Aaron gear the XR down and add beefier springs, it will be a much better off road machine. Im ripping around on mine! Also decent tires help. IMO with the proper setup the XR650L is a VER VERY capable off road weapon.

• MellonHead

Posted September 21, 2007 - 07:47 PM

great story. I am in the same boat Aaron, I'm looking for some suspension tips and I always abide by rule #1, NO QUAD-TARDS;-)

• AaronBrown

Posted September 23, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Aaron gear the XR down and add beefier springs, it will be a much better off road machine. Im ripping around on mine! Also decent tires help. IMO with the proper setup the XR650L is a VER VERY capable off road weapon.

What sprockets are you using front and rear?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:28 AM

I would get the springs for your weight before you go spending $$$$ on revalving. Alot use 14/48 for the L and like it offroad since i think a 45 is stock rear its really street geared. good story sounds like a blast.

• heavyhitter

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Aaron,
I am running Sunstar's 14/45, but I am going to change to 14/48. I really looking forward to the 14/48.

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:42 AM

i run 15/48. still good on hiway.

• Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:47 AM

i run 15/48. still good on hiway.

do you have that so you can swithc to a 14front for better offroad? Thats a good combo to have so you can just switch fronts to suit street or offroad.

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:48 AM

do you have that so you can swithc to a 14front for better offroad? Thats a good combo to have so you can just switch fronts to suit street or offroad.

exactly! ya run this setup and carry a 14t with you. how was the sm race denn?

• hoosierider

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:18 AM

I run 2 sets of wheels on my L, I built a set of 18s with street rubber, and the stock wheels with Michelin S12s. Off road, I run a 13/53 gear, and man, that's a woods gear! I can actually get into 3rd sometimes. I run the stock front 15t on the street, it's enough to do about 70 or so and will still pull the front end in the first 3 gears. This setup is nice, cause I have enough adjustment on the rear wheel that I don't have to change chains when swapping. The problem I had with the stock setup was the huge leap from first to second gear, internally speaking. In the woods, I would rev the piss out of first, then second scared me! I am not a fast guy, I just plonk around mostly, but that big gap from 1/2 was a problem.

• AaronBrown

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the info guys.

• Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 09:02 PM

Welcome!!!

• Big Bob

Posted September 29, 2007 - 02:42 AM

Also decent tires help. IMO with the proper setup the XR650L is a VER VERY capable off road weapon.

Which tires do you guys like for offroading? Last week I got a great deal on a super clean '97 XR650L, and I'm looking to do some trail riding before the snow flies. Soft to medium terrain, some mud, some clay, some roots.

Brands, models, sizes? Help a new L owner out.

TIA.

• heavyhitter

Posted September 29, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Which tires do you guys like for offroading? Last week I got a great deal on a super clean '97 XR650L, and I'm looking to do some trail riding before the snow flies. Soft to medium terrain, some mud, some clay, some roots.

Brands, models, sizes? Help a new L owner out.

TIA.

For a street legal tire that is more based off road Dunlop 606 and 90, Pirelli mt21, Bridgestone e663

The best tire will be opinion but I would say these are among the very best off road legal DS tire. These exhibit less than an ideal road tire. Its always a compramise with a DS tire.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.