Q: Pulling a Flywheel

7 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted September 21, 2007 - 02:52 AM

So it looks pretty straight-forward to pull a flywheel using a puller tool, but how does the flywheel go back on if force/pressure is required? I want to try a heavier flywheel and just wanted to find out if it's just as simple as pulling one off and putting a new one on?:thumbsup:

• blue9red9

Posted September 21, 2007 - 03:57 AM

It should be as simple as putting the new one in place and tightening the nut to the proper torque. The puller is required to get it off only.

• DPW

Posted September 21, 2007 - 04:53 AM

blue9red9 is correct...very straight forward just lay the bike on the side and you don't have to worry about draining the oil either. I assume the bike is an '06 or newer. It took me around 15 minutes to change mine out.

• NM_KDX200

Posted September 21, 2007 - 06:59 AM

just wanted to find out if it's just as simple as pulling one off and putting a new one on?:thumbsup:

It's that simple.

See:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=552967

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2007 - 08:00 AM

The flywheel is on a tapered shaft. The torque of the nut "wedges" the flywheel center in place on the shaft to the extent that if properly set, it would stay in place for quite a while with no nut at all (but don't try that at home).

The puller is required to "unstick" the flywheel from the shaft. Quite often, you will find that the flywheel will refuse to bidge after an uncomfortable amount of torque has been applied. In those cases, strike the top of the puller pressure screw sharply in line with the crank. The shock will usually free it. Once pulled free of the taper, it no longer needs the puller, unlike pulling or pressing a bearing off or onto a straight shaft.

Installing it is a simple matter of keying the slot to the woodruff key, pushing it into place, and torquing it down. I should mention that there is some risk of catching the woodruff key with the flywheel as youj push it on and sliding or rolling it up out of the slot in the crank, which would prevent the tapers from setting properly, and could cause the flywheel to run off center and damage the stator if the engine were able to start. That would be about the only thing you could do wrong.

• twenty34

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:28 PM

The flywheel is on a tapered shaft. The torque of the nut "wedges" the flywheel center in place on the shaft to the extent that if properly set, it would stay in place for quite a while with no nut at all (but don't try that at home).

The puller is required to "unstick" the flywheel from the shaft. Quite often, you will find that the flywheel will refuse to bidge after an uncomfortable amount of torque has been applied. In those cases, strike the top of the puller pressure screw sharply in line with the crank. The shock will usually free it. Once pulled free of the taper, it no longer needs the puller, unlike pulling or pressing a bearing off or onto a straight shaft.

Installing it is a simple matter of keying the slot to the woodruff key, pushing it into place, and torquing it down. I should mention that there is some risk of catching the woodruff key with the flywheel as youj push it on and sliding or rolling it up out of the slot in the crank, which would prevent the tapers from setting properly, and could cause the flywheel to run off center and damage the stator if the engine were able to start. That would be about the only thing you could do wrong.

So the problem I'd encountered this weekend when trying to replace it was the darn nut that holds the flywheel on is stuborn (the one attatching it to the crankshaft).

I can't get that sucker to loosen. I had the bike in gear, held the rear break on and I got nowhere. I took the advice about laying the bike over so I wouldn't have to drain the oil, but I think I need to get this bike upright to get any leverage. I was pulling the racket hard too! :crazy:

Maybe an impact wrench?

• KAS

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:36 PM

So the problem I'd encountered this weekend when trying to replace it was the darn nut that holds the flywheel on is stuborn (the one attatching it to the crankshaft).

I can't get that sucker to loosen. I had the bike in gear, held the rear break on and I got nowhere. I took the advice about laying the bike over so I wouldn't have to drain the oil, but I think I need to get this bike upright to get any leverage. I was pulling the racket hard too! :crazy:

Maybe an impact wrench?

Impact wrench, or a lock-up tool from Steahly Offroad. Its a plastic plug that goes into the spark plug hole, and the piston comes up against it, keeping the motor from turning over. Then you can put a lot of leverage on the nut without trying to lock the rear wheel up with the brake.

Or you can go low-tech and do the same thing by lowering a length of rope into the spark plug hole. I did this on my YZ250 when I put a FWW on it and it worked great.

• twenty34

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:36 PM

Well, about 30 seconds after asking how to get the nut off, I went into the garage and put to use that nifty Snap-On impact wrench that I recieved after buying my bike. I haven't used it much, but I just remembered that I had it.

Well the nut was deffinately on there, but the impact wrench took care of it. Man, that was stuborn, even with he wrench, but I'm smiling now. :crazy:

Glad I put some thought into getting the impact wrench over the torque wrench. Now I need a torque wrench, however.:D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.