08 vs 07 xr

19 replies to this topic
  • gearloos

Posted September 20, 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi all,
New member so a quick background.
Been riding 20 + years. Had many road bikes..gpz750 to gsxr1000.
Dual sports etc... and dirt bikes. I still have an old 1991 kx250 that I can't part with.
I gave up my last road going bike about 5 years ago.. With wife smiling:)
Ready to buy a new bike.
The only one I'm interested in is the xr650L..
Only question is, What year? I want a new one this time.
Does anyone know the differences, if any, between '07 and '08?
I know the headlight housing is white on the 08' but I can't find any other info(even on Honda's site).
I'll probably go for the discounted '07 as it's really a '93 with different colored plastic anyway..(I used to have a 98).
Oh, and yes, I intend to MOD the hell out of it...

• squatpuke

Posted September 20, 2007 - 08:42 PM

Nothing important....

WHITE (instead of red/white) headlight assembly and silver plated gas-tank cap is the only difference I believe.

Get the '07.

• gearloos

Posted September 20, 2007 - 08:53 PM

cool, thx for the quick reply.
about what I thought.
Gettin the '07 and xr's only tank, fmf pipe, and tail light.

• cleonard

Posted September 20, 2007 - 09:25 PM

07 vs. 08? What about 93 vs. 08. I don't think that there have been any significant changes to the XR650L since it was introduced.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 21, 2007 - 05:52 AM

If you gave up road riding why not go the the XRR? Or do you really mean you want to ride both road and off-road (XRL)? Anyway, no real diff between the two years.

• martinfan30

Posted September 21, 2007 - 07:02 AM

BNG. you intend to do more street than dirt? if so go xrl, if more dirt than street go xrr.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 21, 2007 - 07:48 AM

07 vs. 08? What about 93 vs. 08. I don't think that there have been any significant changes to the XR650L since it was introduced.

There was a ride-ht change. It used to be taller!

Dave

• gearloos

Posted September 21, 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hey all,
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I picked up a brand new '07 yesterday at a big discount.
I compared it side by side with an '08 and the ONLY thing I could tell (cosmetically) was the headlight housing color. Height even seemed the same.
Now if I can just get it running right.
It sputters a little, idles rough, and generally has a flat feel.
I'm sure its just the custom "emissions" jetting by that famous tuner Dr. California :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted September 23, 2007 - 10:35 AM

Hey all,
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I picked up a brand new '07 yesterday at a big discount.
I compared it side by side with an '08 and the ONLY thing I could tell (cosmetically) was the headlight housing color. Height even seemed the same.
Now if I can just get it running right.
It sputters a little, idles rough, and generally has a flat feel.
I'm sure its just the custom "emissions" jetting by that famous tuner Dr. California :thumbsup:

congrats on yer new squealer! do daves mods, pipe it and remove smog. amazing difference in power and driveability!

• Motosprtman

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:14 AM

congrats on yer new squealer! do daves mods, pipe it and remove smog. amazing difference in power and driveability!

Congratulations on your new bike and as Martin said, do the mods and then you will see the REAL XR650L, stock is so choked up that it does run exactly as you described.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:20 AM

CALI where you at? Did you get a good deal on the 07? Congrats like martin said youll be amazed from bone CA stock to desmog/daves mods/gearing its like a newer new bike GL enjoy it.

• Kev_XR

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Watchout for the mods that pull the smog gear.
Some Rangers are getting kind of anal about checking it.

Congratulations on buying one of the last XR's.
Keep changing the oil and air filter, it will last forever.

I thought by now Honda would duct tape air scoops on the gas tank and call it the CRF650L.

• Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:33 AM

Watchout for the mods that pull the smog gear.
Some Rangers are getting kind of anal about checking it.

Where have u seen them checking this?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:09 AM

At least if you have to leave the smog stuff on, you don't lose power- its a weight/cosmetics penalty only.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:40 AM

At least if you have to leave the smog stuff on, you don't lose power- its a weight/cosmetics penalty only.

Dave

If you do decide to remove it. Keep the parts. CARB has been trying to figure out a workable motorcycle smog check plan for over 10 years. One day it will be just like getting a car smogged. When that day comes you will need to "unmod" your bike and get it checked. It would suck to have to buy a new smog pump just so you could pass smog.

• machman

Posted September 24, 2007 - 01:36 PM

Search Dave's mods. Your bike will feel a lot better after you've invested those 3 hours.

Welcome to the club! I've got an --all white-- '93 which I believe to be the fastest colour of all the XRL.:thumbsup:

...and in case you haven't noticed yet, every single part off my bike, and all years in-between will fit directly on your bike, and vice versa.:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 02:02 PM

Search Dave's mods. Your bike will feel a lot better after you've invested those 3 hours.

Welcome to the club! I've got an --all white-- '93 which I believe to be the fastest colour of all the XRL.:thumbsup:

...and in case you haven't noticed yet, every single part off my bike, and all years in-between will fit directly on your bike, and vice versa.:thumbsup:

i like the white frames.

• gearloos

Posted September 24, 2007 - 02:27 PM

ya, but im waiting for the breakin to be over then I'll go all at once..
Ordering stuff this week actually.
Header/canister
filter and snorkel mod
jets(daves Mods) Or maybe a flat slide Edelbrock or keihin.. havent decided yet.
Tank
Dipstick Temp guage
Lots of other superfluos junk as I think of it.

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 02:32 PM

if you do a pumper go with the FCR41 straight body. i have the slant fcr on my L. its a great carb, no choke though. the straight body (MX) version has a choke and i think hotstart.

• wheelnut46

Posted September 24, 2007 - 03:26 PM

if you do a pumper go with the FCR41 straight body. i have the slant fcr on my L. its a great carb, no choke though. the straight body (MX) version has a choke and i think hotstart.

Good to know.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.