Vertex racing pistons

5 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted September 20, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the vertex pistions? I have a 2006 Yz450f with 50 hours on it now and was going to put a topend in it (piston,rings) and was wondering if the vertex piston kit is a good choice other than Wiseco and OEM. I also might add that the 50 hrs. on my bike are from practices and races.

• todds924

Posted September 20, 2007 - 07:37 PM

I would definitely use OEM.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 21, 2007 - 03:47 PM

I would definitely use OEM.

Why not Vertex or wiseco? Are they no good?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cubera

Posted September 21, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Vertex pistons are good but they are cast not forged. Forged pistons are lighter and stronger. OEM pistons are the best and cheapest so unless you're bumping compression go with OEM would be my best advice. Wisecos are very good pistons also and they are forged.

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2007 - 04:13 PM

Forged pistons are lighter and stronger.

This is not necessarily true. Forged pistons are in fact often heavier than OEM cast, usually because of extra material in areas, such as above the wrist pin bore, made necessary by the mechanics of forging versus casting.

As far as strength is concerned, a manufacturer can make forged pistons out of inexpensive alloys by substandard methods as easily as to make anything else cheaper than cutting edge stuff. By the same token, contemporary metallurgy and investment casting methods can yield parts as strong as the best forgings.

• 642MX

Posted September 22, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the vertex pistions? I have a 2006 Yz450f with 50 hours on it now and was going to put a topend in it (piston,rings) and was wondering if the vertex piston kit is a good choice other than Wiseco and OEM. I also might add that the 50 hrs. on my bike are from practices and races.

At 50 hours it probably just needs rings, cam chain, valve springs and valve seals.

BTW. I have used Wiseco pistons for many years and have had zero problems. I haven't used Vertex, but I'm sure they are fine too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.