'06 WR450F vs '07 WR450F

55 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted October 10, 2007 - 10:05 AM

One thing looking at the weights on paper doesn't show is how the bikes feel.

Funny thing is my manual says that the bike without gas but otherwise ready to ride is 248 lbs. My old TT-R was 273 :confused:

After AIS removal, airbox and exhaust mods... we have probably shaved 3 lbs or so. I always remove my head light and ODO so thats another 3 or 4 lbs... a full 3.1 gallon tank adds 8lbs though to the wet weight....:confused:

If you want a light bike, don't get a WR... but like JSF says the 07 "feels" 15 lbs lighter than the steel framed bikes in regard to handling with the lower center of gravity. :confused:

• ffstink

Posted October 10, 2007 - 10:28 AM

I have been riding for 20yrs and my '07 is hands down the most comfortable bike yet. Little things like the wider foot pegs and them being a bit lower make the bike so enjoyable to ride. The seat is very hard though and you have to do all the mods to make the bike worth while.

• xr250ryder

Posted October 10, 2007 - 01:54 PM

I haven't had the pleasure of riding one of the 07 450s, but heck my 05 feels great to me, I can turn just fine (more with the rear wheel I might add). The power is ok, I hope to get the power to my liking after winter. But even if I rode a 2007 wr450 and it felt much better, the only thing that would make me sell my 05 would have to be fuel injection, so me new WR or maybe YZ 450 will be in 2009/ 10. Thats my say on things, feel free to rip it apart.

• Summit

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:50 PM

I have an 05 and love the thing. However I was at the dealer today and sat on an 08 and it felt way lighter just sitting there leaning it back and forth. I'm sure some of it is because the tank is empty but man I swear I could feel a difference. I ride my 05 a lot so I noticed it right away. I also noted that the Gutz seat I have on mine is WAY softer. I wasn't so sure it was much of an improvement until I sat on the 08....it feels like sitting on a 2 x 6.

• Mutu

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:58 PM

If you want a light bike, don't get a WR... but like JSF says the 07 "feels" 15 lbs lighter than the steel framed bikes in regard to handling with the lower center of gravity. :confused:

In reality, they actually did loose over 10lbs weight! :confused:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 10, 2007 - 06:55 PM

From when to when? And where?:confused:

• xr250ryder

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:14 PM

Are you talking the actual feel of the machine, or actual weight? I have yet to see this... or hear :confused:

• Mutu

Posted October 10, 2007 - 08:28 PM

Are you talking the actual feel of the machine, or actual weight? I have yet to see this... or hear :confused:

Got it in a past edition Australian Dirt Bike mag in front of me.
The '06 WR450F weighs 121.1kg fluids, no fuel, and the '07 WR450F weighs 117.3kg fluids, no fuel.

Sorry, I exagerated a bit. The difference is 3.8kg or 8.38lbs. :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atkinse

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:00 AM

Race Tech the suspension and you have a dream machine

• w00dsRider

Posted October 11, 2007 - 03:52 AM

Got it in a past edition Australian Dirt Bike mag in front of me.
The '06 WR450F weighs 121.1kg fluids, no fuel, and the '07 WR450F weighs 117.3kg fluids, no fuel.

Sorry, I exagerated a bit. The difference is 3.8kg or 8.38lbs. :confused:

This is interesting perhaps a much different bike over there, gravity works differently in the southern hemisphere, who knows? :confused: After a quick search I found this:
06 wr450f 249.1lb to 247.5lb
07 wr450f 246lb
08 wr450f 248lb

Not much different. But the weight is much lower (closer to the ground) on the 07/08 models.

• Mutu

Posted October 11, 2007 - 02:44 PM

This is interesting perhaps a much different bike over there, gravity works differently in the southern hemisphere, who knows? :confused: After a quick search I found this:
06 wr450f 249.1lb to 247.5lb
07 wr450f 246lb
08 wr450f 248lb

Not much different. But the weight is much lower (closer to the ground) on the 07/08 models.

:confused: Oh good, you found the Yamaha website specs! :confused:
As I said, weighed with fluids, no fuel. :confused:
NOT "CLAIMED" WEIGHT :confused:

• slnutt

Posted October 11, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Ok, I started this thread so I thought I would give everyone the benefit of the doubt about what I decided to do.

I ended up buying a brand new '07 WR450 out of state for an out the door price of $5,594.00. That was about $1100.00 more than the '06 used bike that I found. As mentioned earlier, I probably won't find a hill-o-beans difference in the bike based upon my individual riding capabilities, but my buddy on his WR400 will be totally jealous of my shiny aluminum frame, and especially of the grey button on the right.

I've got the bike home, but not ridden it yet. I've ordered all the white body work from the limited edition '07 YZ450 and will put that on with the addition of the Dual Sport America street legal kit. I've opted for the all white headlight assembly and the license bracket/taillight/turnsignals all integrated.

Next on my agenda is to search the threads for all the mods. I want to leave the stock muffler on the bike......may do the mods, but don't want to put a loud piece on it. My '01 WR426 with the YZ pipe on it was too loud for me.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in on the subject.

I'm sure I'll find the mods listed elsewhere, but if you have performed these and can same me some time, all posts will be appreciated.

Thanks
Racin' Randy

• Mutu

Posted October 11, 2007 - 04:50 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
Ha, I'm jelous already! Have fun modding!

• w00dsRider

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:50 AM

:confused: Oh good, you found the Yamaha website specs! :applause:
As I said, weighed with fluids, no fuel. :confused:
NOT "CLAIMED" WEIGHT :confused:

Just for the record I didn't get those off the Yamaha website but from reviews from several different sites. :confused: Back at ya!

But the point is the DIFFERENCE between the weights regardless if they have fluid or not.:confused:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:09 AM

I want to leave the stock muffler on the bike......may do the mods, but don't want to put a loud piece on it. My '01 WR426 with the YZ pipe on it was too loud for me.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in on the subject.

I'm sure I'll find the mods listed elsewhere, but if you have performed these and can same me some time, all posts will be appreciated.

Thanks
Racin' Randy

In regard to the exhaust...... you can do the pea shooter removal as described in your AIS removal kit but for $45 you can get the GYTR end cap that opens up the diameter of the end pipe more than the stock end cap with pea shooter removed, it's still around 96db and is easier and faster than removing the pea shooter you also maintain the spark arrestor. See Link. I have been happy with this :confused:

http://www.yamaha-mo...2/0/detail.aspx

• Mutu

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:19 PM

Just for the record I didn't get those off the Yamaha website but from reviews from several different sites. :D Back at ya!

But the point is the DIFFERENCE between the weights regardless if they have fluid or not.:crazy:

Yep, but the point that I make is that you have posted Yamaha claimed weights (regardless of where you got them from....) not actual weights. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.