'06 WR450F vs '07 WR450F

55 replies to this topic
  • slnutt

Posted September 20, 2007 - 05:08 AM

With the drastic changes in the bike from '06 to '07, I find myself in a dilema. I just sold my 2001 WR426 after 6 years of fantastic service to me and now want one with that little grey button on the right(Electric Start). I've found a very nice, low mile (130) '06 for a very reasonable price. I know with the introduction of the '07 model that the new aluminum frame is supposed to be the schniz-nizzle with engine placement etc and it is supposed to handle much better.

Problem is, it will take at least another $1500 to get to the '07 and was wondering if anyone can chime in with an opinion. Whatever I buy, I will probably keep at least 5 years so resale value isn't that important to me.

Rider type: Go to Moab once a year, off road mostly, but will dual-sport and make the bike street legal.

Also, anyone know of the easy way to add a real life key switch to the later model WR450's with the push button ignition?

Thanks

• clark4131

Posted September 20, 2007 - 05:33 AM

The difference you'll see just going to the '06 from the 426 will be significant. I recently had the opportunity to ride an '07 in a direct comparison with my '05 and I could tell the difference, but in all honesty, it wasn't like going from a Yugo to a Ferrari. It was more like Super Duty to Duramax...i.e. solid front axle to independent front suspension. My '05 felt snappier, like it had more grunt. The '07 was smoother power-wise and the weight did feel lower, though I run a Acerbis 3.3 tank that was full of gas and the '07 had the stocker. The guy with the '07 rode mine and said the same thing...we both agreed they were very comparable, and that the hype about the new aluminum frame was just that, hype. The improvements were noticeable, but it didn't relegate the steel-framed bikes to dinosaur status by any means. The edge you get would only make a real difference if you were a pro and seconds mean the difference between podium or not. If you're like me and just like to bang around in the woods and you don't have ego issues, then you know where the smart money goes. That's my take on the whole thing. The "more balls than brains" crowd can flame away now, mine are made of asbestos :thumbsup:...SC

• dazzabb

Posted September 20, 2007 - 06:59 AM

You can replace the push button with a key switch from Yamaha with the relevant wires and connector block already attached.

• kanemilo

Posted September 20, 2007 - 08:54 AM

I was in the same situation you were with a new 06' vs a new 07'. I ride the eastern mountains with a lot of single track. With $1400.00 difference I went with the 06' and a one tooth smaller front sprocket and free mods and have had a ball. For the 1400 difference I felt a lot better in my wallet and after I rode an 07' I still felt better. I guess the question is, is a little more bling worth $1400.00. Not for me.....

• spedyr6

Posted September 20, 2007 - 12:01 PM

Do a search for a thread that covers the key issue. On my '06 I did the ttr key (4 wires like my bike) and instead of cutting the wires, I used a paperclip to release them from the plastic connector. I then used a dremel on the push button mount and modified it to hold the new key setup. I believe someone in the thread I am thinking about did the exact same thing.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 20, 2007 - 03:32 PM

My 04' had more hit in the engine than my 07'.... my 07' handles noticeably better than the 04' did even with a 3.1 gallon tank on it full of gas. Ground clearance has become an issue, I don't know or care what the specs say... I have bottomed out or cased way more on my 07' than I have on any of my other WR's:thumbsdn: that lower center of gravity was not just made up with motor angle and positioning, the bike is lower... period and it's very evident parked next to my son's YZ 125 :thumbsup:

In your situation, having alot of experience on both style of bikes I would go for the 06' :thumbsup:

• jams229

Posted September 20, 2007 - 10:05 PM

Three things I do not like about my '07:

1) Bottom resistance is bad, plain and simple. It bottoms way too easily.
2) Ground clearance is not enough.
3) TPS is a pain in the ass on the road. The bike does not like the highway.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted September 21, 2007 - 04:01 AM

Three things I like about my '07...

1) It is remarkably nimble for a 450.

2) It's confidence inspiring at higher speeds.

3) My buddies with '06's envy the bitch'n aluminum frame and sweet LCD tail light.

-Jay

• clark4131

Posted September 21, 2007 - 06:09 AM

3) My buddies with '06's envy the bitch'n aluminum frame and sweet LCD tail light.

Until they see you try and get to the carb :thumbsup:...SC

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 21, 2007 - 07:26 AM

Amen on that.......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JaysDirtyRide

Posted September 21, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Ssssshh...

Damn SC...you just had to mention that...:thumbsup:

My knuckles healed up...eventually.

-Jay

• clark4131

Posted September 21, 2007 - 09:27 AM

Gotcha!...SC

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted September 21, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Looks like all the comments already hit the nail pretty good...but, I too was on the bubble for an 06 or 07 and decided to buy a used 06 with a boat load of after market stuff on already...saved 1500 at least...and couldn't be happier...I can't imagine that an 07 would make that much of a difference and after reading these posts am even happier! Regards, KS

• jams229

Posted September 21, 2007 - 09:31 AM

Make that four things I do not like.

• CORider63

Posted September 21, 2007 - 11:08 AM

ElectroSport (E-Line) Keyed Ignition Switch

ElectroSport Industries
3803 Oceanic Drive, Suite 201
Oceanside, CA 92056
1-760-842-8300
FAX: 1-760-842-8306
www.electrosport.com

Part Number: 1276-01
Description: Dakar Handlebar Switch Boxless
Price: $25.00

It has the same connector as the Yamaha harness, but the pins will need rearranged:

Yamaha Red to ElectroSport Red
Yamaha Brown to ElectroSport Black

Yamaha Red with Black Stripe Unused
Yamaha Black Unused

ElectroSport Green Unused
ElectroSport Black with White Stripe Unused

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 21, 2007 - 12:40 PM

With the drastic changes in the bike from '06 to '07, I find myself in a dilema. I just sold my 2001 WR426 after 6 years of fantastic service to me and now want one with that little grey button on the right(Electric Start). I've found a very nice, low mile (130) '06 for a very reasonable price. I know with the introduction of the '07 model that the new aluminum frame is supposed to be the schniz-nizzle with engine placement etc and it is supposed to handle much better.

Problem is, it will take at least another $1500 to get to the '07 and was wondering if anyone can chime in with an opinion. Whatever I buy, I will probably keep at least 5 years so resale value isn't that important to me.

I have an 05 which is the same as the 06. It doesn't need anything. Once I got the suspension and gearing set right, it has completely taken away my desire to obsess over new bikes. Now I obsess over saftey gear since I like to ride hard on sunday but still get to work on monday.

I would think that you can find a stellar deal on a used 05/06. I would buy it even it had 1000 miles but was kept up. WR's are long term keepers.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 21, 2007 - 01:24 PM

I have an 05 which is the same as the 06. It doesn't need anything. Once I got the suspension and gearing set right, it has completely taken away my desire to obsess over new bikes. Now I obsess over saftey gear since I like to ride hard on sunday but still get to work on monday.

I would think that you can find a stellar deal on a used 05/06. I would buy it even it had 1000 miles but was kept up. WR's are long term keepers.

Even an 04'.... despite the electronic ODO.... I won several races last year and one this year on my 04'.... Bottom line, when discussing minor evolutions in the 07's it's still 90% rider when it comes to the capability of that bike:prof:

• Tough Guy

Posted September 21, 2007 - 02:20 PM

I would go for the 07. The price difference will be more then compensated for on resale down the road between the two years...The 07 is a better bike...Its lighter, better balanced and easier to ride and has a more modern look. I have ridden the older style WR and felt that it was heavy and much less nimble than my 07. It is true that the rider makes 90% of the difference, but why not have a bike that makes riding easier and more fun?

Chris

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 21, 2007 - 03:24 PM

I would go for the 07. The price difference will be more then compensated for on resale down the road between the two years...
Chris

I think when they finally drop Fi on the market none of our bike's resale will be worth a sheet:busted:

• WR_Dave

Posted September 21, 2007 - 05:52 PM

I went from a mildly modified '02 WR 426 to the '07 which I modified similarly with the exception of the Vortex X-10 CDI box. I would have to say that my beloved 426 had a much stronger bottom end power feel compared to the '07. The '07 feels lighter and turns much better than the 'ol 426. Depending on how honest you are with yourself as to your riding skills I don't think us average riders would notice a huge difference in the handling and power between the '06 and the '07 and while the carb is a PITA on the '07 , once it is jetted for your area , you won't have to do much besides fuel screw adjustments if you stay near your normal ride area. In this case you need to choose between saving $1500 and using it for mods and add-ons or buying a new bike that no one else has had anything to do with. I normally keep my bikes for 5 years and upgrade to the current model. In some small ways I wish I had kept my 426 due to the way it delivered the power,after getting the jetting right the '07 rips so I think I chose right. Maybe I should go for the Vortex CDI to ice the cake?!?!?! Good Luck with your decision---WR Dave.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.