Air Cooled Yz!

30 replies to this topic
  • custom-cruiser

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

OK just kidding but made you look. I thought I would share our progress on a 2007 TTR 230. In the quest for a reliable, affordable, low maintenance, good looking trail machine (we do almost all single track with some ATV trails) with some jumping capabilities heres what we came up with.

Forks, Front wheel, Front brake all from a 2003 YZ 125

Front fender is 2007 WR 450

Dr. "D" pipe and header

Future Mods will include: YFZ 450 ATV rear shock, Jetting as needed,we really don't have enough time on the Dr. D pipe to make a determination, and probably a flywheel shave.

Hope you guys like it as much as we are having fun building it.

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• john4ct

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

one of the nicer 230s ive seen.......good work man

• JSanfilippo

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:26 PM

Very nice :thumbsup:

• ovrrdrive

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:54 AM

Those forks look sweet on there... Great looking bike.

• john4ct

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:35 AM

correction......that IS the nicest 230 ive ever seen.

• custom-cruiser

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the positive comments.
Price breakdown as follows
2007 TTR 230 $3100
2003 YZ 125 Forks $160
2003 YZ 125 front wheel $155
2003 YZ 125 front brake $40
Front disc cover $25
Dr D pipe set $265
Graphics kit $60
Pro Taper bars $65
Misc shop labor $25

Total investment $3895

Almost all parts sourced off Ebay

• 06crf_er

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:31 AM

It looks awesome man. I just have a couple question....what is the final intent for the bike? Why not just start with a yz125?

I'm not trying to diminish your work at all, it looks great. It just got me wondering when I saw it. Keep updating, I'd love to see the final product.:thumbsup:

• custom-cruiser

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

The bike belongs to my 14 year old son. He is coming off a TTR 125 with the BBR 150 big bore kit and it was just to small. He does not race. I am done with 2-strokes. No mixing gas,the smell,spark plugs, replacing pistons ect. all the extra work that goes into maintaining one. He begged me for a YZF 250 but I just did not feel that was the next step so I talked him into this one and told him we would fix it up, he could ride it for a year or two and then we'll talk about the 250.

Besides I'm always up for a good project!

• 06crf_er

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:07 AM

The bike belongs to my 14 year old son. He is coming off a TTR 125 with the BBR 150 big bore kit and it was just to small. He does not race. I am done with 2-strokes. No mixing gas,the smell,spark plugs, replacing pistons ect. all the extra work that goes into maintaining one. He begged me for a YZF 250 but I just did not feel that was the next step so I talked him into this one and told him we would fix it up, he could ride it for a year or two and then we'll talk about the 250.

Besides I'm always up for a good project!

Probably not a better reason than that!! Are you at least recruiting the son for help on the build up?? He's not just enjoying the fruits of your labor is he?

By the way...it definitely looks great:thumbsup:

• custom-cruiser

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

Oh yah he has been there every step of the way and has a much better understanding of the working parts now. He actually designed the bike and researched the parts. So I give him more than 1/2 the credit for the build.
I am more the money man and part time knuckle dragger.

• 06crf_er

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

Oh yah he has been there every step of the way and has a much better understanding of the working parts now. He actually designed the bike and researched the parts. So I give him more than 1/2 the credit for the build.
I am more the money man and part time knuckle dragger.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :worthy: :ride: :bonk:

• abs600fzrr

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:25 AM

looks nice but im gonna bash on you. now ya got 12" of travel up front and 8" in the rear...handling has to suck, i do how ever like the look. i think ya need a YZ swingarm and shock and the bike will look complete....ya did a great job on the front end...now its time for the rear end.:thumbsup:

• custom-cruiser

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:01 AM

Yes rear end is another project altogether.

This is on the way: YFZ 450 atv shock
Posted Image

We will put it on and see how it rides as we have not really even tested the forks yet. We have discussed a swing arm disc brake combo and depending on how the initial testing goes who knows what kind of a priority that project will get.

• 06crf_er

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:26 AM

Only thing that conerns me is: that's a hell of a lot of shock for such a short swingarm. How much does the kid weigh? You're going to have to do some tuning to get that thng to work right.

• custom-cruiser

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

Agreed, this whole thing has been "well, I think that might work" project.
We have been pretty lucky so far with parts availability and fittment. Hopefully we can keep the streak going.

I will post the intital test ride results when we finally get a chance to get her out and opened up.

I ride a totally uncorked 2007 WR 450 so it has alot to measure up to. Ha Ha

Posted Image

• ultrabuzz

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:36 PM

Excellent work !
Couple of questions if you don't mind...

Did you have to replace steering stem with the one from TTR or did the front end bolt right up without any mods ?

Also, are you going to be trimming your fender a little on the back or does the motor get enough cooling as it is now ?

• custom-cruiser

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

Steering stem and bearings are the original TTR.
We did cut the rear of the fender some already from the stock wr size and will have to monitor the motor temp. I saw a guy that put some louvers in the back for extra airflow and we might end up doing that.

• john4ct

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

i can totally under stand why you didnt go with the yz 125.....if you dont race and trail ride.....a nicely modded trail bike.like you have in this 230...is better for what you do....good trail bikes have to be built....you cant just go out and buy a good ttr ...you have to make it good...im not fond of mx bikes for trail riding......a milder trail bike with good susp....is great for that.

• Corkster

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

For some racing the TTR230 is better than a full size bike. I raced a really tough enduro two weeks ago, so tough that less than half the field finished. The rocks and hills were seriously nasty.

I was on my 07 WR250 and I rode the race with my wife on her TTR230 to help her through the worst bits. The way it worked on the killer sections was that I would struggle like crazy, fall off a couple of times, stall, curse and generally question why I was doing this for fun. Once I had got to the top, I would walk down the hill, get on the TTR230 and just tractor it staight up the hill with the nice soft suspension soaking up the bumps and making it seem like cheating.

I would have been way faster on a TTR as there were no really fast sections that day.

Makes you think.

• kxracer987

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:40 AM

For some racing the TTR230 is better than a full size bike. I raced a really tough enduro two weeks ago, so tough that less than half the field finished. The rocks and hills were seriously nasty.

I was on my 07 WR250 and I rode the race with my wife on her TTR230 to help her through the worst bits. The way it worked on the killer sections was that I would struggle like crazy, fall off a couple of times, stall, curse and generally question why I was doing this for fun. Once I had got to the top, I would walk down the hill, get on the TTR230 and just tractor it staight up the hill with the nice soft suspension soaking up the bumps and making it seem like cheating.

I would have been way faster on a TTR as there were no really fast sections that day.

Makes you think.

I've noticed this also on my dads drz250. The torque will pull you up any hill without the rear wheel braking loose. Then I try climbing it on my kx and I will spin the whole way up and not have nearly as much control.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.