valve cover breather tube sucking in dirt???

24 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha4lyfe

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:11 PM

pulled my valve cover and cams out a few days back. to re shim it. what do you know there is SAND IN MY FREAKING engine!@!@!! right in that hole where the breather tube attaches to. what the hell? i stuck my finger in there and pulled a crap load of dirt out. i don't understand?

• rooster wrooster

Posted September 20, 2007 - 03:49 AM

I pulled mine off my '06 a few months ago and found the same thing. Not a crap load but more like a sprinkling. I rerouted the the hose into the airbox, which is pretty easy to do, but haven't pulled the cover yet to see if actually helps.

• Wiz636

Posted September 20, 2007 - 06:06 AM

Same thing here. There is a thread here all about this and about rerouting into the airbox. I did it the other day and zip tied a foam filter onto the end also.

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2007 - 06:43 AM

There is a thread here all about this and about rerouting into the airbox.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

Scroll down to Engine, and look for breather tube re-route

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted September 20, 2007 - 09:49 AM

thanks grey

• casperkc

Posted September 20, 2007 - 02:59 PM

That stupid idea they had cost my insurance company $4000.00 to rebuild my motor. The only thing salvagable was the head and the gears. EVERYTHING else was replaced. I stalled in a small pond\mud hole on the trail. Slurppppppppppp.

• tonypitcock79

Posted September 20, 2007 - 04:57 PM

doesn't hot exhaust air going back into the motor kill horsepower???!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2007 - 05:07 PM

What hot exhaust air?

• sherco67

Posted September 20, 2007 - 05:10 PM

after reading all the threads about this, I went to home depot and bought 10 feet of black half inch hose for 5.00 and a 1/2 inch t-fitting and a pcv filter from advance, should have also got a 90 degree fitting because hose liked to kink at top of engine, run original hose along frame (inside) put T in middle drill 1/2 inch hole and run hose in very bottom corner of airbox, and mount breather to subframe, tie wrap to bracket where carb vent hoses run through to keep away from chain, then through linkage with other hoses. I also put 2 small slices on end to keep dirt from plugging hose. all cost total was about 15.00. good luck, john p.s. everything needed is in plumbing section.

• Ga450owner

Posted September 20, 2007 - 06:17 PM

That stupid idea they had cost my insurance company $4000.00 to rebuild my motor. The only thing salvagable was the head and the gears. EVERYTHING else was replaced. I stalled in a small pond\mud hole on the trail. Slurppppppppppp.

no different...never start these under water...or even with any chance of the breather tube being in water.....or mud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2007 - 06:29 AM

no different...never start these under water...or even with any chance of the breather tube being in water.....or mud.

...or high centered on a sand dune.

• kpflyingv

Posted September 21, 2007 - 12:40 PM

On day one I rerouted my hose and installed a K&N filter. It breaths in and out easily and guarentees no dirts sucks in. The filter is strapped with wire ti=es behind the frame in the photo. Easy to clean, and no dirt in the engine.

Posted Image

• spc mike

Posted September 25, 2007 - 09:56 PM

i just clamped on a little blue 3 inch mini filter that i bought at pep boys, and it works great. i also think by filtering this breather tube will extend your oil change intervals because your keeping more dirt out of the engine.:thumbsup:

• Polyrida400

Posted September 25, 2007 - 10:00 PM

My wr 450 goes to the air box and its never had shit in it.
Definatly re-route the thing as it will suck the crap in for sure...

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted September 25, 2007 - 10:10 PM

i re routed it and i am still getting dirt into it... anyway i can get a filter for it? someone said they put a K&N air filter on it? whats the part number or, whats it called ill buy one from Lordco if they sell them

• sandman3

Posted September 26, 2007 - 03:24 AM

I ran mine straight to the air box and also put a K&N filter on it. I used a small crankcase breather filter for a Harley Davidson, it works great. When I first got the bike I stalled in a huge puddle, not knowing any better I re- started the bike and after a half miniute or so I was on my way, later that day I droped the oil plug and almost fell on the floor, The motor was filled to the top with milky oil.

• alstar250

Posted September 26, 2007 - 10:46 AM

I want to order that breather filter but does anyone know what size the breather tube is??? I am going to run a fitting on the end then stick the filter on the fitting so I need to know the tube size...thanks

• mn519

Posted September 26, 2007 - 12:49 PM

...[COLOR="DarkOrange"] cost my insurance company $4000.00 to rebuild my motor.[/COLOR]

How did you get your insurance company to pay for a mechanical issue? What company do you use?:thumbsup:

• casperkc

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:11 PM

How did you get your insurance company to pay for a mechanical issue? What company do you use?:thumbsup:

I wanted theft and fire coverage and all they could offer me was basicly full coverage insurance. It costs me 14 buck a month through State Farm in Michigan. :thumbsup:

Also I didnt start my bike in the puddle, I stalled in the puddle. Piss poor design on Yamahas part. This is the only manufacturer that routes them this way.:thumbsup:

I got my filter from an auto parts store. I think it was an old school valve cover breather (what a coincidence).

• Wiz636

Posted September 27, 2007 - 12:09 PM

On day one I rerouted my hose and installed a K&N filter. It breaths in and out easily and guarentees no dirts sucks in. The filter is strapped with wire ti=es behind the frame in the photo. Easy to clean, and no dirt in the engine.

Posted Image

I do the same thing on mine and it works great. For a filter I just went to an auto parts store and bought a filter designed to fit in the air cleaner housing for the crankcase breather of an old Ford I think. It is a plastic housing with the replaceable filter material stuffed in it. The breather tube slips right on the filter and I use a zipty to hold the tube on. It fits nicely into the recess of the frame and I just zipty it in place.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.