Any luck selling? NOT ME.

48 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted September 26, 2007 - 10:54 AM

Well, even though we know the value of a good WR when it comes to riding, I don't think many others, especially those looking for a used dirt bike do. They look for YZ's. Have you ever tried to do a search for your bike wherever you list it? It can be tough even for you to find it sometimes. I know, it's a bit like Googling yourself, but hey, a good way to see what everyone else does. Luckily, I'm not going to die if my bike doesn't sell soon, so I'm not dropping what is already a good price on mine. Cycle Trader has always been good to me, not yet this time, but I think I screwed myself and forgot to put a phone # in the mag portion of the ad. What I don't like about Craigslist is the setup where you can only list in one region. I've got at least 5 prime markets within an hour of me and I can only list in one. What's the deal with that??? I'd even list in Las Vegas, or Washington too, because I've got friends I wouldn't mind making a trip to see, two birds, one stone!

EDIT!!! I hope people don't start tanking on their prices before trying harder to reach their market. These bikes are worth what I see people asking for them and if people start reducing their prices it's going to bring us all down in the end. It will make the buyer's expect it, and also reduce the perceived resale value. I think it's all market, the bikes are worth every penny of what we are asking for them!!!

• pYura

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:49 AM

What if I want to buy a WR? Shipping means -->Hungary?

• stoney55

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:55 AM

took me forever to sell my 05 yz450, I only ended up getting 3450 for it and had to drive 60miles to the buyer. it's so easy to buy new bikes that used bikes are getting cheap. I can afford to pay cash for a new bike but I'm looking at the barely used deals re thinking on going new next go around. although I don't like to inherit someone elses problem

• BeeDub

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:59 AM

What if I want to buy a WR? Shipping means -->Hungary?

Hey, I'd even ship mine if the buyer figured everything out first. Of course, I'd personally rather receive the money before putting it on a plane! :thumbsup:

• pYura

Posted September 26, 2007 - 12:05 PM

There must be a "cush down" way. I'm realy looking into some nice WRs here in TT. I will have to figure out the shipping and how paperwork goes first :thumbsup:

• BeeDub

Posted September 26, 2007 - 01:04 PM

took me forever to sell my 05 yz450, I only ended up getting 3450 for it and had to drive 60miles to the buyer. it's so easy to buy new bikes that used bikes are getting cheap. I can afford to pay cash for a new bike but I'm looking at the barely used deals re thinking on going new next go around. although I don't like to inherit someone elses problem

I'm not sure why it would take you so long, but I don't know your area or what time of year you were trying to sell. I'd imagine the YZ's are worth a little less than WR's for same year bikes and that wasn't a put down on the YZ's, but I think it's true. I'd also still imagine that more "used" buyers are looking for YZ's rather than WR's, on a whole. Someone had a point about it being easy to pick up a new bike. Yeah, financing the hell out of EVERYTHING these days has really screwed things up. Not necessarily the best way to go in my opinion. When I was 17, I financed a brand new '97 YZ125 and ended up paying more than $8K for it in the end. Is it worth that? Hell no! Just find someone who hasn't abused their stuff (vet riders and those who don't ride often and hard) and you could save a lot of money, and maybe even pay cash, that's what I did on my current bike anyway.

• TWILES

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:42 AM

That would be my bike. I wouldn't be considered a "vet" rider but I can promise that it has seen less action than an AARP member who gets to ride all the time would give it. I've only had a "HOT" item to sell one time and it was a 1989 Honda TRX250R that was an A-class TT bike when I bought it and a A-class MX bike what i sold it for $5500 in 1999 to a guy on the gulf coast. No luck with the WR yet though. A guy wanting to save some money and get a "like-new"....problem free bike would do good but I'm not sure thats what they are all looking for. I think they'ed rather save a couple hundred on a run down one and then tear the motor apart in a week.

• matt4x4

Posted September 27, 2007 - 11:23 AM

Guys - have you tried the craigslists and Kijiji sites - both GREAT for selling lower cost stuff like bikes, gear, trailers and older cars.
I find the traders are getting less and less bike business because their ad rates have jumped so much that people are looking elsewhere lately.
Anyways, just a thought...

• BeeDub

Posted September 27, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Guys - have you tried the craigslists and Kijiji sites - both GREAT for selling lower cost stuff like bikes, gear, trailers and older cars.
I find the traders are getting less and less bike business because their ad rates have jumped so much that people are looking elsewhere lately.
Anyways, just a thought...

Thanks Matt! I am already on craigslist, and that's the only place that's turned up replies. The problem I have with craigslist is that I'm in the Inland Valley of SoCal, and Riverside, LA, and Orange Counties are all within an hours drive. You can only post in one of these areas on craigslist, and from what I can see, you can't change it, like say I've tried LA, now want to try Riverside???

Anyway, at least on Kijiji, which I hadn't heard of, I was able to post on all three areas. I just hope this one is popular enough for guys looking for dirt bikes, because I didn't see many on there. I'm just being patient anyway, just kind of weird, I sold my last bike within a week and this one's a lot better bike!

Thanks again!!!:thumbsup:

• BeeDub

Posted September 30, 2007 - 06:52 PM

Sorry for chiming in on your thread so much, but it is a good thread you started. Just thought I'd update you. I just got back from selling my bike, full price, through craigslist, the only advertising that produced a response. Hold out if you can and get what you're asking, it's worth it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Twiles, I wish I had the spare cash right now because if it's everything you say it is I would buy it from you and drive up there to pick it up. But I do not have the change available right now so no can do.

One thing I've found for selling bikes is the price must be right. All bikes I have sold outright have sat for months until I hit the right price point then they sold right away. Consider bumping the price down and you might sell it faster. Unless you don't have any desire to really sell it but keep in mind that as time goes on they become less valuable not more.

• BeeDub

Posted October 01, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Twiles, I wish I had the spare cash right now because if it's everything you say it is I would buy it from you and drive up there to pick it up. But I do not have the change available right now so no can do.

One thing I've found for selling bikes is the price must be right. All bikes I have sold outright have sat for months until I hit the right price point then they sold right away. Consider bumping the price down and you might sell it faster. Unless you don't have any desire to really sell it but keep in mind that as time goes on they become less valuable not more.

I agree that he might sell his bike faster if he dropped the price, but is it worth it? He's got a bike that's worth the $4500, and he's already dropped it $500. In my opinion, he's already gone down too far. I held out for a bit longer on mine and got the full $4200 I was asking for, same year. I had two guys ready to buy this weekend, one just happened to know what he was looking at, and had the money in his home safe. I just think that if too many people drastically reduce their prices, buyers will expect those low prices and nobody will ever get what their bike is worth. That's just my opinion, and people have told me I'm too opinionated. I did sell my bike this weekend though! :confused:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 01, 2007 - 02:39 PM

It all depends on why it's being sold. To finance another dirt bike, you can hold off because you already have a dirt bike. Need the money bad for something else? Not as many choices.

• TWILES

Posted October 01, 2007 - 03:49 PM

It all depends on why it's being sold. To finance another dirt bike, you can hold off because you already have a dirt bike. Need the money bad for something else? Not as many choices.

I'm really not in the market for anything else right now. I'd like to have another quad but thats next year sometime. My business kind of fell off earlier in the year than it was supposed to and I'm not going to get to pay it off like I expected. I'm not droping the price. It books for more than $4500. The only reason I had it priced at 4 was because that was right at the pay-off and I thought I could sell it quick. Let it set there. Its not that I don't like riding it, its that the thrill is just not there and it will free up my credit a little when I don't owe for it anymore.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 01, 2007 - 05:30 PM

I always regret when I undersell a bike. I wish I still had this really nice XR250 I let go for $850 back in 2000. That money was blown in a matter of days. My wife wanted a horse and it helped her get it. The horse lasted about 3 months before we sold it for a loss. That little XR was a fine bike and would have been a good backup when my WR was down for repair.

BTW, my second post in this thread smacked of me trying to winnow down your price for my personal gain (as in if you lower the price I'll buy it) but that wasn't my intention. It was just an observation. The bike does sound really nice for the price you are asking for it.

• Nostalgic

Posted October 01, 2007 - 05:47 PM

Sometimes an item like this won't sell even with lowering the price 800 or 900. It's just not an every day sale item. You don't have to have a lower price. Instead, you have to wait for the RIGHT PERSON to come along. That person is the one actively looking for a WR and wanting to buy. When they come along, they will pay the higher price, or the lower one you have gone to while waiting...

Keep your price where you want it.

Also, you can make multiple adds on craig's list. You have to change some things and make the location like one town over or something...

• BeeDub

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I now agree on being able to post multiples on craiglist, I did it by just using a second free hotmail address, and re-phrasing the add. Once I did that, apparently I tapped in to a much more lucrative market and had the bike sold within two days, for full price. Funny, I thought the Riverside area would fetch the buyer, but it turned out that LA was the place. I'm still expecting one of the other potentials to call me and tell me he'll take it, unfortunately for him, I have to tell him it's gone. You are right, it's all about finding the market and waiting for the right buyer, as you said it's not an everyday item. I truly believe that more than half the people out there don't even know the WR exists, and that it's actually a better bike for the riding they're really going to do than a YZ. The guy's going to like the bike, I'm happy with the selling price, and it was worth the money he paid.

• TWILES

Posted October 02, 2007 - 09:10 AM

This area is strickly atvs. They are less work and go more places than a bike will go here. Thats why dirtbikes have never really taken off. I've seen new YZ's and WR's set at dealerships until another bought it from them because they just don't sell. The money makingest dealership in Western KY wouldn't even take 2-wheelers of any find to sell from Yamaha or Kawasaki when he started selling those and the owner still races bikes in vintage races and has since the 60's or 70's. The new owner has a barn FULL of dirtbikes from the last 3 years still sitting there. I bought it because I wanted it. There will be someone else who wants it in time.

• Fullbore4

Posted October 02, 2007 - 02:02 PM

I was able to sell my bike for nearly full price recently on Craig's list.....I put in the add that I would deliver hundreds of miles.....as it turned out the guy drove a hundred miles to ride it and take it home. Craig's list is great but watch out for the inevitable scammers.....I wish authorities could catch these yoyo's but they are foreigners and evidently have a complex racket set up. They even have movers that will come get the bike.....sucks.

• TWILES

Posted October 02, 2007 - 03:25 PM

I was able to sell my bike for nearly full price recently on Craig's list.....I put in the add that I would deliver hundreds of miles.....as it turned out the guy drove a hundred miles to ride it and take it home. Craig's list is great but watch out for the inevitable scammers.....I wish authorities could catch these yoyo's but they are foreigners and evidently have a complex racket set up. They even have movers that will come get the bike.....sucks.

I think I have one of those talking to me now. He said he would send a check and if it clears the bike is his. I gave him my mailing address but the bike isn't here. The dude actually sounds for real....even tried to call.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.