rebuild on dr 250 how do you set the timing?

3 replies to this topic
  • smokeing77

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

I bought a 1990 dr 250 and the top end went out of it and Im tring to rebuild it myself, but I m not sure how to time everything so it will work can any one help me.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Helmet_Hair

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

you need to consult the manual for that. In general, you need to put the piston at TDC and the cam lobes need to face a certain way (this is where you need a manual) usually down so they won't place any pressure on the rocker arms, opening the valves...valves need to be closed. Cam chain and gear can then be fitted.

you'll probably need to visit g-man's site www dot suzukidr350 dot com

• mxrob

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

you need to consult the manual for that. In general, you need to put the piston at TDC and the cam lobes need to face a certain way (this is where you need a manual) usually down so they won't place any pressure on the rocker arms, opening the valves...valves need to be closed. Cam chain and gear can then be fitted.

you'll probably need to visit g-man's site www dot suzukidr350 dot com

Yep, TDC "T" mark on flywheel lined up with left half center case pointer (it's at about the 10 o'clock position on the case near the flywheel. Cam lobes down and the two marks at the end of the cam on level with the cam bearing surface of the head. Cam w/cam sprocket pin at two o'clock. :thumbsup:

• bikepilot1

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:39 AM

Yep, the service manual couldn't be more clear, but it does lack in the pictures department:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.