110/80x18 IRC M5B -- To narrow for a BRP??

5 replies to this topic
  • bigtooth

Posted September 18, 2007 - 11:59 AM

You guys think this tire will be to skinny for my xr650r, up here in VT we see lots of mud,water,rocks,roots, no sand. I have an extra laying around and am thinking about slapping it on, but have never ran such a narrow tire on the bike.

• hill5150

Posted September 18, 2007 - 01:04 PM

It should work ok,not great , I would not go any lower than a 110 though....I personally would not run it, it would be all over the place.......Cant beat the price

• VBS-Thumpstar

Posted September 18, 2007 - 01:49 PM

I drove a BRP with a relatively new 110 rear tire and it wouldn't hook up for me. It was actually kinda fun on the fireroad I was on. Felt like Chris Carr for a few miles.:thumbsup: It wasn't much fun trying to loft the front wheel over logs and roots on singletrack though. I found myself really tugging on the bars and/or bouncing the front end.

Sean :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted September 18, 2007 - 05:01 PM

The IRC website says that tire is for a 1.85 or 2.15 inch rim. 2.15 is what your bike has so it should work just fine. Yes it will be a bit small, but I would run it on my bike if I had one laying around.

• bigtooth

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, i'll prob. put it on the xr600 and buy a wider one for the 650.

• Billahjack

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:19 AM

That 80 profile means that the tire does not have as much distance from the outside diameter to the rim. Given this, your rims are not as well protected against hard hits to rocks, roots, curbs, etc. Plus, it may look funny. Can you get a 110/100 instead?

Have you tried the maxxis IT 120/110-18? I like that tire, although my bike tends to rotate the tire on the rim causing the valve to take an angle.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.