YZ450F RELIABILITY reliability

34 replies to this topic
  • A_grader

Posted September 18, 2007 - 01:58 AM

Is this bike any more reliable than its 450F competition? If not which 450F would be the most reliable.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 18, 2007 - 05:07 AM

I have seen your post in all sections. I have been a honda man my whole life, but made the switch just for how reliable the yamaha is. I have over 200 hours on my 06 450 and valves have never moved the only thing I have done is put a new clutch in. Now I have Hondas in my garage right now that half half the hours and they have been ridden know where near as hard as my bike and they have issues. I like Hondas but if you go honda go 07, from what I have heard they killed the power on there 08 as well. Still 49hp but the mid and bottom are very soft all top. I will admit I am always boucing off the limiter, etc my bike catches hell but she takes it:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2007 - 05:59 AM

If they aren't the most reliable, they don't really need to be very much more so than they are. My '03 has not had a single mechanical or electrical problem since it was new, and hs never even needed a valve adjustment in all that time.

There are occasional little oddball things that you hear about, but compared to the number of them that are out there, their dependability ranks up there with driveways and sundials.

• mediumfast

Posted September 18, 2007 - 06:11 AM

Nothing is foolproof. My friend dropped 3rd gear on his 06 YZ450F a few months ago. This was not a maintainance issue at all. 3rd broke into five pieces and damaged a bunch of other stuff too. It's probably going to cost $1,000 to fix and to add insult to injury a few of the parts are backordered. I'm sure it's just a fluke but it's an expensive one....

• SlowJoe400

Posted September 18, 2007 - 11:21 AM

Hey guys read on here all the time but dont ever post. I know you are asking about 450's but I have the revolutionary 98' 400 in my garage that is by the far most reliable bike I have ever owned. Granted i ride mainly SoCal desert I still occasionly go to Elisnore or Glen Helen. Ive only done regular maintence i.e. oil changes every other ride, replaced chains, fork seals...... I have never had to open the cases or check valves. Although, I do plan to check soon just to see whats been going on in there for almost 10 years! Still runs as strong as the day I got it! :thumbsup:

• blue9red9

Posted September 18, 2007 - 01:46 PM

I've owned the 426, an 03 and an 06. All mechanical problem free past 100 hours. Guys I ride with have Honda and Kawi 450's. They have had a few issues here and there. The Kawi just seemed not put together well at the dealer but that can happen anywhere. The honda guy has an 03. It has been trouble free except one valve adjustment. The Yamaha is aging better than his honda even for more hours on the YZ.

• kain522

Posted January 03, 2008 - 06:26 PM

I have an '04 YZ450 that has never been apart. The oil has been changed faithfully every 10-12 hrs and it's still running like new. This year, it's getting a new chain/sprockets, rear tire, and some fork seals. Thats all it needs to be ready for another season. This has been the most reliable motorcycle I've ever owned, including some street bikes. I will also be looking for a trail legal muffler for it, if anyone has any suggestions.

• yamasaki

Posted January 03, 2008 - 06:34 PM

a friend of mine at the track has an 06 that 3rd gear fell apart while running and took the cases/engine out.. big $$$ to repair..

my rear hub broke on my new 06 while running on the sx track, and the resulting slack in the chain put a hole in cases.. big $$$ to repair...

• 917 rider

Posted January 03, 2008 - 07:09 PM

I went riding with my bike shop buddy over the weekend,he gets a bike to ride as part of his deal at work.mine are so clean when i trade them in he just keeps them at his house to ride at his track,well the last one was a 07 kx 450 and the motor locked up the other day. the bike only had maybe 10 hours on it:mad: as i was injured part of the time i had it. Ive had so many valve problems with hondas i dont even look at them anymore:cry: .All though it helps my insides when they show up at the track and it takes the guy 30 minutes to crank it:lol: the yamaha is the longest lasting and i only say this from years and money wishing the others would be more dependable:confused: who knows my buddy is probably not getting mine this year:thumbsup: there all taking bets to how long i keep it:excuseme:

08 yamaha yz 450:thumbsup::busted: :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2008 - 08:17 PM

my rear hub broke on my new 06 while running on the sx track, and the resulting slack in the chain put a hole in cases.. big $$$ to repair...

That was almost certainly your own fault. The vast majority of such failures are are the direct result of running the chain too tight, a very common mistake with the '06-'08 model.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Michael Cahill

Posted January 03, 2008 - 08:22 PM

Amen to all the yamaha riders!! :banghead:

I have had my YZ 400f for 5 years now, and have not had a single problem with it.
aside from regular maintinence, and the usual things (clutch, tires, cables) it runs great and fires right up on the 1st or 2nd kick every time!! :busted:

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted January 03, 2008 - 09:28 PM

WOOOT! i ride Yamaha because its the number !!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!! Reliable bike on the market and it still makes a ton of power. boy o boy i love this bike! :banghead:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 03, 2008 - 11:15 PM

I've owned two 450s. An 04 WR and an 06 YZ. Both are bulletproof. Regular maintainence and absolutely no problems. Its just so nice to ride with the confidence that your bike is gonna get you home. I ride with mostly Yamaha guys so I dont know much about the others.....except for KTM. I will never buy a KTM for anything other than hillclimbing. My one buddy has two KTM's and honestly almost every ride something goes wrong. Sometimes little stuff, and sometimes big stuff, but almost always its something. :banghead: :busted:

• yamasaki

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:02 AM

That was almost certainly your own fault. The vast majority of such failures are are the direct result of running the chain too tight, a very common mistake with the '06-'08 model.

if anything, my chain was too loose! trust me on this one.

i'd say IF it was my fault, it would only be because the sprocket bolts worked themselves loose. i'll never know for sure. but i do know quite a few owners of yz450f's at the track that had the same thing happen to them.

and i am a pretty brand loyal guy... from a yz250 to an '03 yz450 to my '06 yz450... not to mention my history of yamaha pwc's... but i probably wont buy a yamaha again.

the handling issues and not being as bulletproof as i had hoped for are two factors really turning me off. my next bike will be probably green or red.

i'm not bashing yamaha (or trying to), but i am thinking of switching colors.

• BergArabia

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:50 AM

it seems even someone with 2 left thumbs like me can keep a YZ going..
No issues that I didn't bring on myself in well over 100 hours..

• endurodog

Posted January 04, 2008 - 09:00 AM

I have had 2 rear hubs break on Yamahas as well as have some buddies. After some brain storming here is what we came up with. The sprocket bolts are very sensitive to torq settings if you over tighten them at all they will stretch and once they start stretching no amount of re-tightening them will keep them tight. They eventually will fail resulting in the hub being trashed. A couple of solutions that have worked for 100% of us is being very careful about the torq settings or going with an aftermarket bolt kit.

As near as we can tell none of our failures were due to over tightened chains and no one has changed this part of the equation and we have had no further failures.

I'm back on a Yamaha after trying a Honda. The Honda I put 2 sets of valves in, and everytime I rode the thing there was some little thing. Couldn't be happier being blue again and won't look at a red bike again!

• yamasaki

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:46 AM

I have had 2 rear hubs break on Yamahas as well as have some buddies. After some brain storming here is what we came up with. The sprocket bolts are very sensitive to torq settings if you over tighten them at all they will stretch and once they start stretching no amount of re-tightening them will keep them tight. They eventually will fail resulting in the hub being trashed. A couple of solutions that have worked for 100% of us is being very careful about the torq settings or going with an aftermarket bolt kit.

As near as we can tell none of our failures were due to over tightened chains and no one has changed this part of the equation and we have had no further failures.

thanks for that info. i'm definitely going with aftermarket bolts plus a little red loctite from now on.

i still have my yz450f and hopefully my welded cases will continue to hold. i've got one weekend of motos on the cases and the repairs seem to be holding up just fine so far.

fingers crossed.

http://www.edwinrive...ages/wheel1.jpg

http://www.edwinrive...mages/case1.jpg

http://www.edwinrive...mages/case2.jpg

i can totally admit fault to this somehow being a result of me not torqueing down the sprocket bolts to some exact torque spec.. however, the fact that this happens to so many yamaha owners... i mean.... yeah.. there's a little blame on both sides there. its not the broken hub that kills me so much as what that broken hub usually results in.. broken cases. if yamaha knew these bolts were so sensitive to this failure, seems like a really simple fix for yamaha to send out a set of better bolts to their dealers and retrofitting the bolts. i bought my '06 yz450 brand new from the dealer 6 months ago.. and i already have broken cases. that REALLY sucks.

all that said, i'm still riding the yami at the track on saturday! brrraaaap.

:banghead:

however, my *next* bike... may be a different color.

• MX1967

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:35 PM

That broken hub is from loose sprocket bolts, not Yamaha making weak hubs. I have always tightened my sprocket bolts in a criss-cross pattern after they were nice & snug & then check them again after I ride the bike.

• CrAzYzLoCaL

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:23 AM

Ouch.....I guess thats what you get for not running a counter shaft cover! :banghead:

• yamasaki

Posted January 05, 2008 - 03:06 PM

Ouch.....I guess thats what you get for not running a counter shaft cover! :banghead:

of course i was running that! it got mangled so bad i had to buy another!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=180197502303

That broken hub is from loose sprocket bolts, not Yamaha making weak hubs. I have always tightened my sprocket bolts in a criss-cross pattern after they were nice & snug & then check them again after I ride the bike.

yes.. possible.. could the theory posted above about the sprocket bolts have merit? too much of a coincidence that this has happened to so many YAMAHA owners at the track. or... could be 110% my fault! :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.