low voltage output 650l

5 replies to this topic
  • motomonte

Posted September 17, 2007 - 03:51 PM

After replacing the battery with a new one(the old battery was definitley shot)I'm still having problems starting the engine.It'll start fine but after riding it for a few minutes it just won't start i.e.barely turn the engine.I retested the battery with the engine running and it reads 11.5volts at iddle and just 12.5v at high rpms.So it seems that the system is not charging properly and my manual is nowhere to be found (most surely it'll appear as soon as I find the problem:foul: ) Where should I start testing?

• jetfuel

Posted September 17, 2007 - 04:53 PM

here you go ..the first reply to this post pretty much will give you a good starting point. http://www.thumperta...harging problem

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 08:53 PM

After replacing the battery with a new one(the old battery was definitley shot)I'm still having problems starting the engine.It'll start fine but after riding it for a few minutes it just won't start i.e.barely turn the engine.I retested the battery with the engine running and it reads 11.5volts at iddle and just 12.5v at high rpms.So it seems that the system is not charging properly and my manual is nowhere to be found (most surely it'll appear as soon as I find the problem:foul: ) Where should I start testing?

should be over 12.5 volts idling. find a manual and start testing your coils. just remember, a coil can have good resistance, doesnt mean that coil is good under working conditions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted September 18, 2007 - 06:19 AM

When you got this new battery did you just pull it out of the box and fill with electrolite and plug and go? Or did you put it on a charger and get it fully charged before you even mounted it in the bike? If this is trully a brand new out of the box battery it definitely needs a good charging or it could be draining your motorcycles charging system trying to get the battery fully charged. Lemme know what you did.

• motomonte

Posted September 18, 2007 - 09:09 AM

The battery is new from the box.I did as told by the vendor,just filled it and waited 1/2hr. then installed it.The bike started fine after this so i didn't mind it much.Will give it a full slow charge and check again.Will start testing electrical system as soon as I find the manual:banghead: Thanks a lot.

• Denn10

Posted September 18, 2007 - 10:16 AM

i would definitely charge it up and make sure its not just draining your charging system. I cant quote how many amps the system puts out but with it trying to charge up a new batt and lights im sure thats why your seeing a low voltage while running. GL youll prolly be fine

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.