Oil/Air Filter Exp this weekend....XRL

4 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted September 17, 2007 - 11:16 AM

Just changed the stock air filter on my '07 (1K miles)....it was pretty nasty...seemed to run just fine before...presume everthing is ok.

What do the stock filters cost and WHY would anybody buy another when the aftermarket foam filters seem WAY more cost (and performance) efficient?

Secondly....I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but thought I would give my experience.

The XRL manual tells to fill the XRL w/2 quarts (no filter change) 2.06 (w/filter change) then start up the bike. I did just that...I changed my oil filter and w/o thinking simply added 2 full quarts...however the last several ounces STAYED IN THE FUNNEL (hehe)...so stood the bike vertical, bounced it a few times and it finally accepted the full 2 quarts. I could actually SEE the oil level by looking in the dip stick hole. Anyway....I got spooked of overfill, so I got wifey's turkey baster and sucked out a bunch...at least till the dipstick showed full.....

Then I started my L up....let it run a few minutes and checked the oil levels....it was bone dry. (???) (obviously, it filled up the oil filter area leaving me with a deficit). So I added more until the dipstick was only reading 1/2 full. This is where it is currently sitting until I get an answer from this post.

Does all this seem correct?

Should the dipstick read full on warm or cold? Does it matter? What happens if you significantly overfill? What range on the dipstick should the oil level be safely kept at?

btw, this is my 2nd change...Did my first at 300miles and this second one was at 1k. However I did go a thousand miles on the stocker air filter....I now have my UNI in place and plan on changing every 2nd/3rd dirt ride.

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 11:29 AM

i always check hot. i keep it to the full mark also.takes 2 and 1/4 qts. on mine. there are a lot of this subject here already. every ones bike seems to be a little different. i think its just that everyone has their own procedure. as long as your gettin 2.06 qts in and you have FULLY drained the engine, downtube and cleaned the downtube screen, good to go!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted September 17, 2007 - 01:06 PM

your right dont freak LOL fill it with your 2 qts or whatever gets it almost to top and cap off and run for a few seconds then refill and check warm like DODO boy above stated. I think my first change it got almost 2 1/2 in.

• squatpuke

Posted September 17, 2007 - 01:29 PM

and cleaned the downtube screen,:

I thought this only need done like every 5K or so....

Isn't this a relatively TOUGH piece to get do?

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 01:34 PM

dodo boy, LOL!

squatpuke, this may be, but i consider it a must. just think it wouldnt take much to have something come loose(a burr from machining)and restrict oil flow through the screen. maybe i'm paranoid, but if you have an extra 10 minutes, do it!

just use a quality socket (6-point)or box wrench on the downtube plug. very easy to round off!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.