impressions after 1st race

14 replies to this topic
  • mikewr450

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:46 AM

event united mc district 37 in johnson valley,ca. i rode 40 miles 2 20 mile loops. gytr kit on but did not remove grey wire, all free mods done. i ran 96 octane. no other mods done. no backfiring what so ever. awesome throttle response over stock and great power especially up hill climbs. now as far as the rear suspension goes, it needs help. i know i am too heavy for it but man did it pogostick. also for those saying that you rode 80 miles with the stock tank you must not be riding because after only 20 miles i was less then half full and needed to be refueled. and anyone worring about the grey wire just leave it in mine ran great.

• Maddeh

Posted September 17, 2007 - 08:39 AM

Racing and trail riding result in vast differences in gas mileage. I can get 110+ on a 3.2 gal tank on the trails. Last weekend I raced (78 miles) and thought I could do the whole thing on one tank... ran out about 2 miles before the finish.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:50 AM

Yeah the mileage will vary but even trail riding the stock tank does not offer enuf range... I have no had to pit yet with my 3.1 mounted on but I came close in what is estimated to be 75 miles at race pace... I put it on reserve and leave it there from the start:thumbsup:

Good luck with that rear suspension.... after going to a 5.6, race sag set and multiple clicker configs I still find the rebound a little fast in most conditions..

I have 7 races on my 07 now, it has proven to be as competitve as my past WR's but I still wish for a lighter bike at times :thumbsup:

• mikewr450

Posted September 17, 2007 - 11:00 AM

yeah i am going to get the 3.1 ims tank for sure now. second that on the bikes weight. if it were maybe 10 lbs lighter.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 18, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Good luck with that rear suspension.... after going to a 5.6, race sag set and multiple clicker configs I still find the rebound a little fast in most conditions..

I have 7 races on my 07 now, it has proven to be as competitve as my past WR's but I still wish for a lighter bike at times :thumbsup:

I have about 10 desert races and many hard trail rides on my 05 wr. It feels a whole lot lighter since I got the suspension professionally done. As a mattter of fact, weight is no longer a big issue. However my new perspective on less weight is mostly based on the fact that I now go down once per ride instead of 5 times per ride.

I think the wr's are perfect once you invest in three key things.
1) professionally done suspension 2) new sprocket for slightly lower gearing. 3) tredmill to address the "real" weight problem

• redswr

Posted September 18, 2007 - 06:28 PM

I have about 10 desert races and many hard trail rides on my 05 wr. It feels a whole lot lighter since I got the suspension professionally done. As a mattter of fact, weight is no longer a big issue. However my new perspective on less weight is mostly based on the fact that I now go down once per ride instead of 5 times per ride.

I think the wr's are perfect once you invest in three key things.
1) professionally done suspension 2) new sprocket for slightly lower gearing. 3) tredmill to address the "real" weight problem

lol... true about #3. #2 though... i need higher gears. i take off in second most of the time and in the dunes use 3rd and up... never 1st or 2nd

• C333

Posted September 18, 2007 - 06:31 PM

tredmill to address the "real" weight problem

Lol!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Desracer

Posted September 18, 2007 - 07:44 PM

Try the wire, I bet you wont put it back in!

• ksrrider

Posted September 18, 2007 - 08:16 PM

event united mc district 37 in johnson valley,ca. i rode 40 miles 2 20 mile loops. gytr kit on but did not remove grey wire, all free mods done. i ran 96 octane. no other mods done. no backfiring what so ever. awesome throttle response over stock and great power especially up hill climbs. now as far as the rear suspension goes, it needs help. i know i am too heavy for it but man did it pogostick. also for those saying that you rode 80 miles with the stock tank you must not be riding because after only 20 miles i was less then half full and needed to be refueled. and anyone worring about the grey wire just leave it in mine ran great.

Why would you run 96 octane? I had two yzf's and always used 91. Hook up a small toggle switch to intercept the grey wire, then you can switch back and forth. Check out Acme suspension or Trail Tricks if your going to continue racing desert.

• mikewr450

Posted September 19, 2007 - 06:09 PM

tredmill to address the "real" weight problem
yeah i know i am the weight issue!!! hahahah. i run 96 because i feel that the bike will run better. maybe it does and maybe it doesnt but i did run great on sunday. also it does have 12:1 compression. and i know all about acme, he did my last bike. he will do this one as soon as i get a chance to get over to him. how big of a difference does the grey wire make anyway? doesnt just allow the engine to rev higher? or does it really change the timing?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 20, 2007 - 03:35 PM

I am in the UMC. I worked the sound check for a bit on Saturday and also on sunday morning for a bit. I helped mark the B loop and worked a check on the A loop.

I was oogling over the 07 wr's since mine is an 05. Maybe I saw you.

Lucerne Valley is perfect for wr450's. You need that power to tractor up those rocky hills and get up and over the moonrocks.

I run 91 octane in mine and it doesn't sputter or anything. It had a bit of a bog with the stock pipe, but the fmf pipe took care of that.

Grey wire probably makes more of a difference when you are revving higher. Are you doing that?

• mikewr450

Posted September 21, 2007 - 07:07 AM

yeah i rode B loop. that was a pretty fun course. no too hard but not too easy. not really revving high into the rpm range except when i need to like on hills or sand washes. i must say the bike did run good. i stalled a few times but it might have been more me then the bike. as far as the 96 octane m uncle races d37 and has for years and he was running 100 octane in his 08klx450r. he put the gytr kit on for me so i am kinda going off what he says. maybe it is just a waste of money. by the way mauricedorris i heard loop A was pretty hard. i saw some video of a rocky downhill! holycrap. glad i missed out on that ride!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 21, 2007 - 12:42 PM

That downhill didn't look that bad. You just had to think about it before going down. A loop was really hard after the 3rd and 4th time around. That hill kinda reminds me of the stuff you see in big bear, except that there is alot more of it up in the mountains.

You uncle must know what he's doing. Trust me, you must gear your wr down a bit. that will cure the stalling and allow you to tractor up hills much easier.

• mikewr450

Posted September 22, 2007 - 08:40 AM

yeah i might try that

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 22, 2007 - 11:13 AM

If you had fun at the UMC race, you will really love the next enduro coming up. I rode this event last year as my first ever race and I got hooked ever since.

This one will be fun and the beginner loop is a family friendly challenge. You'll see lots of new riders and children trying it. http://district37ama...ct07/07twmc.jpg

The best way to improve your riding skills is to start racing. Its safer than trail riding because all of the hazards are clearly marked and you are never alone.

I never ride to win (because I am too slow). Instead my success/failure is usually based on finishing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.