How do you check for chain wear

4 replies to this topic
  • srhines67

Posted September 17, 2007 - 12:02 AM

I have a DID ERT2 (non O ring) with 25 hours of trail riding on it. It seems like the links are loose - when flexing the chain side to side by hand - but I can't remember exactly how it was when it was new. How do you determine if a chain is worn out. Oh, I don't like to lube chains either.

• Dirtbiker05

Posted September 17, 2007 - 01:52 AM

it shouldnt be worn out that quick... unless u dont have the chain at the proper tension and dont use a good lubricant. no lube and too tight or too loose on a 450 isnt easy on the chain and sprockets. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Take a pair of 6" vernier calipers and set it to 5.85". Then push down on the bottom run of chain and measure between the rollers on the tightened top run. If you start with the dimension above, your caliper will sit between two rollers with nine pins between them. The measurement should not exceed 6", by the book (I give up on them at 5.94"). Be sure to measure several different sections.

If you don't have access to a caliper, lay the chain out on the floor and pull it out to it's maximum length. Count out 101 pins and measure the distance between them. New is 62.5", the 2% maximum length is 63.75. Again, I'd discard it at 63.4" (1.5% over length)

• 642MX

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:27 PM

I have a DID ERT2 (non O ring) with 25 hours of trail riding on it. It seems like the links are loose - when flexing the chain side to side by hand - but I can't remember exactly how it was when it was new. How do you determine if a chain is worn out. Oh, I don't like to lube chains either.

2 things..... 1. Non-O ring chains are not great for woods riding. 2. A good lube like Maxima Chain Guard will help them last longer.

If I was you, I'd go buy a new steel sprocket set and an O-ring chain and start over.

Don't forget to buy some chain lube too. :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:29 PM

Take a pair of 6" vernier calipers and set it to 5.85". Then push down on the bottom run of chain and measure between the rollers on the tightened top run. If you start with the dimension above, your caliper will sit between two rollers with nine pins between them. The measurement should not exceed 6", by the book (I give up on them at 5.94"). Be sure to measure several different sections.

If you don't have access to a caliper, lay the chain out on the floor and pull it out to it's maximum length. Count out 101 pins and measure the distance between them. New is 62.5", the 2% maximum length is 63.75. Again, I'd discard it at 63.4" (1.5% over length)

Interesting. :thumbsup: I've never measured one, but it makes sense.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.