1996 Xr600r

24 replies to this topic
  • kevin204

Posted September 16, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Well we were at the races this weekend and there was a MINT 1996 XR600 for sale that a guy was selling for his neighbor. It has 84KM on it since brand new. It's entirely original, in mint condition except for the tank stickers. I mean MINT, not nice, MINT.

How do these babies work? I think it would be a fun bike to turn into a dual sport, or supermoto, or even just try make an honest woods bike out of it, though it seems a little big. Anything to watch out for? How's reliability and stuff?

Thanks.

• Owyhee

Posted September 16, 2007 - 07:35 PM

I love my 600 but I fear riding it in the woods (I'm 6' 150lbs). It's just too big for me to toss around.

That being said, it may be the most reliable and longest lasting dirt bike ever made. Mine eats back tires but an oil change every 500 miles and and a valve check once a year is all the work I do to it. I even have the factory chain from 1999.

It's a fine DS bike and will keep up with highway traffic easily. Vibration is low and it's not too buzzy.

If the Canadian XR600s are like the US models, don't believe the odometer. It's resetable.

"O"

• zrxer

Posted September 17, 2007 - 04:40 AM

If you're used to riding modern 4-stroke dirt bikes you will be very underwhelmed by the power output. They are very comfortable and softly sprung. As for reliability it's one of the most reliable bikes ever made in my opinion. Having said that, they can be made to run hard with engine mods and the suspension taylored to whatever type of riding you do. I had a '96 I bought new. It was ridden strickly in the woods before I plated it. I never had a problem in tight trails but I am 6'2" 210 pounds and used to riding heavy bikes. Quite frankly I wish I still had it for my dual sport as it was more comfortable (seat wise) than my current 650R. The mods I did to it were a K&N filter, 10.8-1 compression 657cc big bore kit, Hot Cams stage 1, 41mm Mikuni flat slide and White Brothers full exhaust. With those mods it felt about the same as an uncorked XR650R only it revved a little slower. Hope that helps.

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:13 AM

how much???

• kevin204

Posted September 17, 2007 - 08:33 PM

Thanks guys. Power wise how does it compare stock to stock with an XR400?

• FoolishMortal

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:21 PM

More. :thumbsup:

• FoolishMortal

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:22 PM

Okay, okay...here's my thread on the subject. :thumbsup:

Just be careful with such an old bike that wasn't ridden. Things dry up and rot - seals, tubes and gaskets, both inside and out. My '94 sat for a while before I got it. I had to put in new rings and valve guide seals because it was eating oil, even though it ran strong. Runs like a champ now and doesn't seem to take oil anymore.

If it's a steal, get it and throw a big-bore in it, then budget for tires. :thumbsup:

• zrxer

Posted September 18, 2007 - 05:08 AM

how much???

Hey Martinfan! If you're referring to the slower revving, not much. The 600 just felt like it had a heavier crank and/or flywheel. Also, the 650R flywheel (or rotor if you prefer) is dry as opposed to the 600s which is run in the engine oil. That has to help with throttle response.

• zrxer

Posted September 18, 2007 - 05:19 AM

In stock form I believe the 600 makes about 5 more horsepower but torque production is like comparing a big block v-8 engine to a small block. The 600's a tractor.

• kevin204

Posted September 18, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Well, looks like we will be going to pick the beast up this weekend. I'm excited!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted September 19, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Hey Martinfan! If you're referring to the slower revving, not much. The 600 just felt like it had a heavier crank and/or flywheel. Also, the 650R flywheel (or rotor if you prefer) is dry as opposed to the 600s which is run in the engine oil. That has to help with throttle response.

thanks zrxer, i actually was curious about the asking price.:thumbsup:

• zrxer

Posted September 19, 2007 - 11:16 AM

D'oh!!:thumbsup:

• kevin204

Posted September 19, 2007 - 01:38 PM

$2000 CDN. It may seem pricey to you Americans, but it's well worth it. This bike isn't just clean, it's in almost perfect shape. It's practically brand new.

• Redlines

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Lets see some pics?

• kevin204

Posted September 19, 2007 - 09:10 PM

As soon as I pick it up I will have some for ya.

• kevin204

Posted September 22, 2007 - 01:56 PM

Well I picked the big beast up today, but I've searched high and low and I can't find my camera. I'm gonna keep looking a little later, hopefully I'll get some pictures of it ASAP!

• kevin204

Posted September 22, 2007 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Redlines

Posted September 22, 2007 - 07:11 PM

Looks SWEET. I picked up a 97 that was mint and it had some fading on the tank decals because it sat so long with old gas in it. Looks like yours did the same thing but worse. Factory effects makes some sweet stock looking tank graphics if want to replace them.

• zrxer

Posted September 23, 2007 - 06:23 AM

I can't load the pics! All I see is four Xs dang it!

• Trogdor

Posted September 23, 2007 - 09:01 AM

I can't load the pics! All I see is four Xs dang it!

You need to up load your pic to a hosting service like Photobucket and then link from Photobucket. The hosting service is free.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.