motor work ?

5 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted September 16, 2007 - 03:03 PM

ok guys i got a 06 yz 450 and i already did a bunch of work to get more power out of it so i got a couple of ??? well heres a list of what i have done

wisco 13.5 high comp piston
port and polished head
zipty race carb mods
DR.D full system
twin air filter
C12 race gas 50 50 pump with 100 : 1 ratio of oil

ok so my next mod i really want to do is get hot cams but i just got one ? would it take away realibality of my motor..

thanks guys

PS if your asking why i want so much power this bike is used for ice racing all winter motocross everynow and then and i want to get into flattrack racing so really i just want more power for the ice and flattrack

thanks

• twenty34

Posted September 16, 2007 - 03:13 PM

ok guys i got a 06 yz 450 and i already did a bunch of work to get more power out of it so i got a couple of ??? well heres a list of what i have done

wisco 13.5 high comp piston
port and polished head
zipty race carb mods
DR.D full system
twin air filter
C12 race gas 50 50 pump with 100 : 1 ratio of oil

ok so my next mod i really want to do is get hot cams but i just got one ? would it take away realibality of my motor..

thanks guys

PS if your asking why i want so much power this bike is used for ice racing all winter motocross everynow and then and i want to get into flattrack racing so really i just want more power for the ice and flattrack

thanks

So how did the HC piston work out for you. I've also heard mixed reviews on whether pump gas works well? I'd like to get the piston, just trying to figure out how much bang for the buck you've experienced?

Thanks

• ThumperKid250F

Posted September 16, 2007 - 03:36 PM

So how did the HC piston work out for you. I've also heard mixed reviews on whether pump gas works well? I'd like to get the piston, just trying to figure out how much bang for the buck you've experienced?

Thanks

well i first did the pipe and thecarb mod with race gas all at once :thumbsup: and that made a huge diff in the bottem end and mid range.

then once i added the hi compression piston and head work i got insane bottem and mid and it pulls just as hard all the way to the top:thumbsup: i havent ran it on straight pump gas so i dont no how it would work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Everything that is done to an engine that causes it to produce more power puts more stress on the engine, at least while it's producing the extra power. Some mods, like port work, increasing compression, and race gas, only add stress indirectly. That is, the only thing that stresses the engine is the extra power it produces. Cams add physical stress to the valve train by working the valves and springs more aggressively and lifting them farther greater.

The answer to your question is, strictly speaking, yes, it will make your engine less [/]reliable. But I would doubt that it would do so to the extent that it would become [I]unreliable. If you get what I'm saying. It should still be quite solid.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted September 16, 2007 - 05:04 PM

Everything that is done to an engine that causes it to produce more power puts more stress on the engine, at least while it's producing the extra power. Some mods, like port work, increasing compression, and race gas, only add stress indirectly. That is, the only thing that stresses the engine is the extra power it produces. Cams add physical stress to the valve train by working the valves and springs more aggressively and lifting them farther greater.

The answer to your question is, strictly speaking, yes, it will make your engine less [/]reliable. But I would doubt that it would do so to the extent that it would become [I]unreliable. If you get what I'm saying. It should still be quite solid.

hey thanks a lot that helped a ton..

but i got one more ? kindof random but how much HP do you think im pushing out with the work ive done,

• grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Assume that you started with a perfectly jetted '06 producing 49 hp. You could reasonably guess the following:

wisco 13.5 high comp piston +1 (at peak - bigger gains in low and mid)
port and polished head +1.5 (could be more, YZ450 heads are tricky to get right, and if done wrong, you could even loose power)
zipty race carb mods +0.5
DR.D full system +.75 (built to widen the power curve more than increase peak)
twin air filter +0
C12 race gas 50 50 pump with 100 : 1 ratio of oil +1.5

That would lead you to think you'd have about 54.25 hp, but that may be a little unrealistic. Gains in peak power become progressively more difficult to achieve the more one adds to the base numbers. 53 would be a good guess. (But just a guess)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.