tall setup

4 replies to this topic
  • the_tree

Posted September 16, 2007 - 11:56 AM

I'm considering buying a '07 or '08 YZ450 and thought I'd ask a few questions about the setup you guys do.

First off I'm a long time European bike rider - Maicos, then KTM 2 stroke and RFS, I'm 6'7" 220 lbs. and old guy of intermediate skill level and bad knees.

Ergos is a concern to me due to my height, just like I don't fit in most newer cars (especially hondas), I mostly have to ride what fits and then add seat height and/or lower pegs to make it more suitable for me. The adjustable bar positions on the KTMs are a nice touch for me.

Will be trail riding in the mountains and desert here - like the lighter weight of MX bikes over that of the WR type bikes. What type of maintanence schedule is required for the YZs?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

• twenty34

Posted September 16, 2007 - 12:09 PM

I'm considering buying a '07 or '08 YZ450 and thought I'd ask a few questions about the setup you guys do.

First off I'm a long time European bike rider - Maicos, then KTM 2 stroke and RFS, I'm 6'7" 220 lbs. and old guy of intermediate skill level and bad knees.

Ergos is a concern to me due to my height, just like I don't fit in most newer cars (especially hondas), I mostly have to ride what fits and then add seat height and/or lower pegs to make it more suitable for me. The adjustable bar positions on the KTMs are a nice touch for me.

Will be trail riding in the mountains and desert here - like the lighter weight of MX bikes over that of the WR type bikes. What type of maintanence schedule is required for the YZs?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Get the SDG tall seat for starters. It'll make it much more comfortable to ride and ease the transition from seated to standing position. This is the biggest advantage from my perspective, but others claim it really helps with turning on the YZ. I really didn't think it did much to help in this area, but definitely going from seated to standing was much better. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dp2boy

Posted September 16, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Also add Pro-Taper KX high bend bars and Fastway pegs (which can be lowered about 1/2". Along with the tall seat these mods make life more bearable for over 6 footers.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 16, 2007 - 05:26 PM

tree, I'm 6'2" also and ride an 06. All I've done so far as far as height mods are Windham bend Pro Tapers (tallest available at that time) and 10mm bar risers on stock clamps, forward position. To lower the pegs on the 06-08, you'll need special mounts, or to drill and countersink the lower bolt in the peg mounting bracket to clear the peg (haven't got around to this yet). Haven't tried the tall seat yet either, but that would be what I'd do before lowering the pegs.

• the_tree

Posted September 16, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm currently using a Guts seat and it's taller than the others I've used in the past.

What maintenance do you guys do and at what intervals? How are the valves holding up and how long does it take to do a valve adjust?

Am working a lot of hours and I've considered going back to 2t in order to get more riding time. Love the 4t engines, but they seem to take more time to keep running right - not really excessive, but for peace of mind, I probably do more than is needed now on my KTM.

Had a buddy who rode an '04 450 YZ and I was impressed with it's reliability - something that's a big plus for a 4t.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.