newbie here

13 replies to this topic
  • Dominion

Posted September 15, 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hello folks. I just registered up today after lurking about for a month or so. I recently purchased a 07 Wr450 and I gotta say I love the bike. I have been a die hard Honda rider pretty much my whole life. My only other Yamaha was an It175 that I resurrected from the dead. All I have done to my bike is build my own removal kit for the AIS stuff, and re-jetted it myself based off what you guys had discussed already.

I can't believe they choke this bike down so much from the factory. I put .1 mile on it before I tore the bike down and removed all of the stuff. Now that its re-jetted the thing hauls the mail. I was doing 4th gear wheelies down the street no problem.

I would like to figure out how to setup the suspension to better handle my overloaded body. I weigh in at 240 so the rear end screams on the big stuff and I have a tendency to ride at a fair clip. I give this bike an A+ and I have to now ditch all of my Honda paraphernalia! haha

I also live in Rialto Ca and will be moving up to the central coast to live in San Louis obisbo in a couple of months so if anyone wants to go for a ride feel free to pm me. Im always down for a good ride!

~Brian

• clark4131

Posted September 16, 2007 - 06:05 AM

Order a 5.8 spring for the rear and .50 springs for the forks. Put in some new 5-weight fork oil with the springs, and you're done. It's a piece of cake...SC

• Dominion

Posted September 16, 2007 - 01:32 PM

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

~Brian

• RickSanson

Posted September 16, 2007 - 02:28 PM

Let me tell ya, I've gotten my bike just like I want it and finally did the springs. I'm 230lbs with gear (I do haul a bit of gear) and went with (Per Jeremy Wilkey - MX-Tech) .50 fork springs and 5.8 shock.

Setup I got 25mm fork and did 101mm shock race sag. Did some fast rocky tight stuff, came back dropped my forks below the second mark, went down (soft) two clicks from middle on the forks. The bike flies!

My buddy ridding an RM250 could stay with me before and now I leave him a minute behind after 4 or five minutes.

Now that is impressive!

2nd - 3rd - 4th gear runs suddenly became 3rd - 4th gear runs. I can't believe how much of a difference the slight changes (and being properly sprung) made!

• redswr

Posted September 16, 2007 - 02:40 PM

hey, welcome to the site and the WR!!! i usually go and ride pismo dunes once a month so watch for me posting in the W2R section.

• resinlips

Posted September 16, 2007 - 04:22 PM

I also have to improve my front shocks. Sounds like the .50 springs are the way to go. CC is about halfway between us, maybe try to hook up this winter sometime. Welcome and good luck.

• xrmarty

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:16 AM

I had mine resprun and re-valved by a suspension shop. It made a huge diff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • andre661

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:42 PM

Check out ESP Suspension in Foothill CA. He will set you up

• Mutu

Posted September 17, 2007 - 11:30 PM

I would like to figure out how to setup the suspension to better handle my overloaded body. I weigh in at 240 so the rear end screams on the big stuff and I have a tendency to ride at a fair clip. I give this bike an A+ and I have to now ditch all of my Honda paraphernalia! haha

I'm 240 and needed a 6.0 shock spring and .50 fork springs.

I would not waste my time trying to set the suspension up yourself, I'd get it revalved and resprung straight away. :thumbsup:

I just went for springs originally, and I found that I could never get the suspension right. I tried every clicker combo, different oil weights, everything.
I ended up getting sick of it and sending the suspension away for a revalve!
The problem is that the suspension is valved WAY too soft even for the 180lbs people it is intended for. I couldn't get the suspension to stop blowing through the stroke. When I did, the bike was horrible.

The bike is super sweet now!!! Absolutely carves any terrain like a razor blade! :thumbsup:

Do yourself a favor and revalve it as well! :thumbsup:

• Dominion

Posted September 18, 2007 - 12:59 AM

whats the average cost to have the suspension setup for a fatso like me? I decided to hit the gym again and get back down to a better weight, but I'll still hit the scales at about 200 or so.

~Brian

• BOBR

Posted September 18, 2007 - 03:23 PM

If your in Rialto, Id take it to Darryl at ACME Suspension he's just up the hill from you in Oak Hills. He's a big dude and really knows how to make the Kayaba suspension work well.

ACME 760-949-6794

• xrmarty

Posted September 24, 2007 - 10:28 AM

I paid somewhere around $600. That included heavier springs and revalving and shimming for my speed and skill.

Also the suspension "breaks in" and becomes softer and plusher after about 15 hours so you might want to ride it for a while to see it's what you are looking for

• Dominion

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:11 PM

I paid somewhere around $600. That included heavier springs and revalving and shimming for my speed and skill.

Also the suspension "breaks in" and becomes softer and plusher after about 15 hours so you might want to ride it for a while to see it's what you are looking for

ITs waay too soft now. If it gets any softer It'll look like a lowrider! haha

~Brian

• xrmarty

Posted September 26, 2007 - 09:57 PM

ITs waay too soft now. If it gets any softer It'll look like a lowrider! haha

~Brian

They can easily fix that too by manipulating oil level, shimming, srpings and valving. They will ask you all kinds of questions to help them determine best setting for your skill level and riding style

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.