Moving from a 2007 YZ250F to 2008 YZ450F ???

9 replies to this topic
  • swaldrop

Posted September 15, 2007 - 06:56 PM

OK. I am stuck on the fence here and need some help... I am trying to decide if I am ready to move to a 450 from a 250F.

A little background... I have been riding since '01. Started on CR125's and in '03, moved to a YZ250F and have gotten new ones each year since. I am a 175lb, 33 year old C rider who has flashes of B every once in a while and up until now, have always been (more or less) happy with the amount of power I have had out of my 250F's.

Well, now I live in Florida and ride sand quite a bit more than I ever used to, and I have had a considerable amount of clutch issues with my '06 and '07 250F's. I am pretty disappointed with my current bike for this reason and feel as though now may be the time to make the jump.

Living in sunny Florida and riding at least once a week year round has allowed me to improve on the bike quite a bit, in turn pushing the bike to new limits. I have never been of the mind set that I NEED MORE POWER (OOH, OOH, AAH, AAH, arms flailing wildly, etc... - jk), but now I feel that having a bike that I don't have to run at the rev limiter for a whole moto might improve the reliability.

I figured I would just wait until the AMA made the manufacturers build a 350 before I moved up, but I don't see that happening any time soon (according to MXA, Yamaha just did!). I know the '08 450 is said to have a mild hit, which I feel would make the transition a bit easier. It has also been praised for it's turning ability, which is good for sure. Anyone out there a little apprehensive to make this jump as well and then done so and thought it was a bad move? Anyone who is pumped about it and wished they had done it sooner?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I have already called a couple places and the cheapest I can get a new 450 is $6814 OTD. Any better deals than that out there? That might make this decision a little easier :thumbsup:

• Dirtbiker05

Posted September 16, 2007 - 08:16 AM

go for it!! if ur anything like me you'll love the extra power. i came off a 02 yz250f and got on a 08 yz450f and i love it.

power- theres lots there for a 175 lbs guy. my feet have flown off the pegs a few times because of the bike coming out from under me. now dont get me wrong. the bike is rideable and wont haul your arms out of their sockets, however if u dont respect the power of the bike, it will feel like your arms are being hauled apart. just remember to hang on. its a 450 not a 250.

turning- it turns really well. just keep your elbows up and your weight forward, set your sag and the bike will go into whichever line u pick.

i made the jump and am very very glad i did. if i was in your position i would go for the 450. since ur in sand ull love the power advantage of the 450 over the 250. overall im glad i chose the 450 over the 250. theres only one thing i miss about the 250f. that is that u can bar it coming out of a turn whereas u have to know where to stop your wrist on a 450. but down the back straight away the 450 will put a smile on your face as those 250's are falling behind, eating your roost. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• dewercs

Posted September 16, 2007 - 03:40 PM

I currently race a 2004 yz250f and a 07 yz450f, with your exper. you will be fine, i'm about 170lbs and enjoy the 450 since it dosen't seem to take as much work to run race pace, it does take some getting used to(you have to be alot smoother on the throttle, but less clutch work) but don't sell the 250 yet, after about 6 months of racing the 450 and 250, you can get on the 250 and race it like a pitbike, i love my 450 and it has made my 250 alot more fun race.

• rmzRacer293

Posted September 16, 2007 - 05:21 PM

do it. you will be so happy!!!

• Hcor

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:37 AM

the bike is rideable and wont haul your arms out of their sockets

My 08 yzf450 DID haul my arm out of its socket yesterday, no kidding! I was pulling hard through a rough section in 3rd, hit some gnarly brake/accel bumps and the front end dove and shook hard. Between the violent left to right shake and hard acceleration my left arm popped out. Luckily i didn't crash, just pulled off with one hand, then was able to lift my arm up with my right hand and get it back in the socket. Wasn't too bad tho, just sore and I was able to ride 3 more motos so not so bad. But this bike will pull your arm out of its sockets lol!!

On a lighter note...this bike is awesome, very controllable power off the bottom, but when you twist it back, be ready.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted September 17, 2007 - 11:16 AM

Lots of positive stuff here. Well, maybe with the exception of that last one... Not sure if that's good or bad.

I am pretty sure I am going to go for it. Can't be too bad as long as I use my head.

Thanks Again

• Hcor

Posted September 17, 2007 - 11:25 AM

Lots of positive stuff here. Well, maybe with the exception of that last one... Not sure if that's good or bad.

I am pretty sure I am going to go for it. Can't be too bad as long as I use my head.

Thanks Again

Seriously, its an amazing bike. Great power delivery, and most importantly handles great. The stock suspension is damn good as well. Very controllable and ridable and has plenty of power when you want it. Good choice, best one ive made so far. I went from a 250f to this 08 450f. Im quite happy. Ignore the arm ripping out of socket thing, that was more of a weird mishap and would have happened on any bike I was riding, just thought it was fitting as the comment about arms out of sockets actually happened lol.

• swaldrop

Posted September 17, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Ignore the arm ripping out of socket thing, that was more of a weird mishap and would have happened on any bike I was riding, just thought it was fitting as the comment about arms out of sockets actually happened lol.

No worries. I have had similar things happen to me as well.

Deep down, I think I had probably already made up my mind before I even made the first post. The last 4 or 5 bike purchases have been no brainers so It's nice to get a little encouragement before switching it up.

I'm picking it up on Thursday I think, so Saturday will be the first day on it. Pretty pumped!

• swaldrop

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:04 PM

One other question... Will my RG3 top clamp from my '07 250F fit on the new 450? I know they made some changes to the steering, but I am not real clear as to what they changed.

• freerider_australia

Posted September 18, 2007 - 01:32 AM

i have been riding a 06 250f. the first time i rode a 03 450f it scared me but since then i have rode a 05 450f this time i got on it and rode it like mine (not twisting throttle to much)and was not as scared and had great fun heaps of power i have just purchased a 08 450f got to wait till weekend to ride it but i did take it for a ride down the street ppppower i dont ride the 250 to the limit so there is no chance of riding the 450 to the limit
it sound like your ready for a 450 it should also last longer lower revving motor respect the power there lot of it

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.