Squeeky Rear Shock

9 replies to this topic
  • 06_450 Rider

Posted September 15, 2007 - 06:46 PM

So i was riding today on my 450, and i noticed after about 20 minutes of riding my rear shock started squeaking when i would sit on it. I was wondering what i could do to the shock to get rid of this? Maybe oil it? Help would be appreciated. Thanks

• KJ790

Posted September 15, 2007 - 08:34 PM

If you haven't greased your links recently, that is your problem. If that is the case then you have some work ahead of you replacing all of the bearings.

• Dirtbiker05

Posted September 16, 2007 - 07:48 AM

If you haven't greased your links recently, that is your problem. If that is the case then you have some work ahead of you replacing all of the bearings.

agreed. when i picked up my 08 i greased the linkage and wheels and swingarm rite away. not a whole lot of grease in there. definitely gonna want to check it out.

• grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2007 - 10:09 AM

Isolate the exact source of the noise first. Have someone work the suspension while you probe for the noise with a hose to your ear.

It's true, even a new bike should be greased, but at 20 hours, I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet.

• Polar_Bus

Posted September 16, 2007 - 10:32 AM

So i was riding today on my 450, and i noticed after about 20 minutes of riding my rear shock started squeaking when i would sit on it. I was wondering what i could do to the shock to get rid of this? Maybe oil it? Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Spray a little WD40 on the rubber anti-bottom cushion on the shock shaft. They have been known to squeek sometimes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2007 - 12:23 PM

I'd avoid that. WD40 will gather dirt, which may compromise the shock seal.

• 06_450 Rider

Posted September 16, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for all the help guys:thumbsup:

• greentyler

Posted September 16, 2007 - 08:41 PM

completely completely agree!

wd40 is waaaaaaaaay overused IMO.

• Polar_Bus

Posted September 17, 2007 - 09:40 AM

KX's are WELL known for squeeking shaft bushings. Been shooting WD40 on the shafts for the past 20 years, never had a seal fail. Dirt gets packed around the seal reguardless of using WD40 or not. I use WD 40 everywhere on my bikes to keep away rust, and displace moisture.....

• grayracer513

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Be that as it may, a "dry" silicon spray would be a better choice. WD40 is a fabulous moisture dispersant (what it was meant to do), but is not a particularly good lubricant, and is a really substandard rust inhibitor.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.