Edelbrock float question(maybe)

9 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted September 15, 2007 - 06:35 PM

I have a 93 xr650l. Uncorked, full yoshi exhaust, uni filter with no engine mods. I have put a used edelbrock carb on and the bike has run rich since I have got it. Original owner was running the 17 needle. I have dropped to the 16 tested, still rich. Now I have dropped to the 15 and the bike runs great at idle, pulls great, but if I maintain a speed about 50-70 plus for length of time the engine will start to bog like it is running rich. I did take the carb apart and cleaned it a couple weeks ago. At this point I am assuming that I need to adjust the float level. Am I on the right track? If so how much do I adjust the float and wich way? I did do a search but could not find my answer. Thanks

• xr650l bum

Posted September 16, 2007 - 05:39 PM

Amazing. I starved the carb by two clicks today, ran it down the freeway, and bog sputtered ran like Sh#t. I was out of gas so I stopped and filled up. Then it dawned on me that after reading a thread on this website about there being no difference in running premium to reg unleaded gas, I had put 89 octane in last fill. Filled it with premium 91 went back down the highway and wa la. Ran like a dream. Held 80-85 for extended periods with no hesitation what so ever. Running 14-48 with the dirt wheels so it gets a little buzzy high speed so I did not get crazy. Now I need to richen by a click because idle is wandering from being to lean at idle. High octane seems to be required.

And my gas milage sucked!!

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:07 AM

thats all i ever run. you can tell a difference as you found out.

• Denn10

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:21 AM

i wonder if you had some bad gas cuz ive used both with no difference noticeable, it is only a 8.3-1 comp which is pretty low compression engine. Glad your good to go now though.

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:25 AM

i swear mine seems a little rougher running on 87.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nilson

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:28 AM

Compression isn't the only thing that leads to premature detonation (pinging): high engine temps could cause problems too and higher octane will help with that.

• jetfuel

Posted September 17, 2007 - 12:33 PM

i swear mine seems a little rougher running on 87.

I too seem to notice a slight difference. so I just run the higher stuff also.

• xr650l bum

Posted September 29, 2007 - 04:23 PM

Noticed that on this new tank of gas the bogging at high speed started happening again. Seems to be happening when the tank is getting 3/4 empty. I went in to the carb and adjusted the float level. Raised the float level just a little. Did not add any gas, did not do anything but adjust the float level. Ran it down the freeway basicly on reserve. Worked. No issues. I think that solved the issue!

• bork

Posted September 29, 2007 - 06:00 PM

You adjusted which way? higher more full in bowl OR lower level(less fuel)?

• xr650l bum

Posted September 29, 2007 - 06:03 PM

I adjusted higher, so there was more fuel in bowl. Bike was starving for fuel after keeping throttle open for extended periods of time.

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.