Terraflex Review after 130 miles

17 replies to this topic
  • Shinyboat

Posted September 15, 2007 - 03:38 PM

My first opinion
-1st 2 miles on road...SCARY...its goes side to side on acceleration
-after 2 miles it started getting much better...it put a slight round on the leading edge quickly
-Mounting: hack the mud guard a bit...it rubs frequently and you can heard it when the bike rolls backward
-Between the 2 tires being taller (I also got an MT16 front), the bike sits about an inch taller...its tricky to get on in odd situations now
-When I got the T-flex mounted they said..."WHAT IS THAT!!???"

After 130 miles (2 trail rides, 1 dual sport)
-AMAZING
-traction is like no other...it tractors up everything and can even throw a roost of 2" quarry spalls! In 6" silt it can still wheelie. You have to use more clutch because it is much more difficult to spin.
-lateral traction is poor...it slides around but always goes forward...it wanders on the road...on pavement I can feel the side nobs roll...on logging roads it loves to broadslide...it is very easy to initiate it and hold it
-it has worn down about 3-4mm of the 22mm nobs
-I've been running at 5.5psi

The verdict
-bad road tire right now
-amazing trail tire

It is getting better on road as it wears more. The MT21 it replaced was amazing on the road but terrible offroad.

I also put an MT16 on the front. So far it has been a great dual sport tire. I will post more on it after I see how it wears. It is a softer tire so it may chunk.

• husky123

Posted September 15, 2007 - 03:58 PM

MT21 terrible off-road?!:thumbsup: Haven't heard that too much. D/S tires are all about compromise.

• bork

Posted September 15, 2007 - 07:44 PM

What shineyboat said x2. For all around goofing off , I'd say the TF is a good bang for the buck! BTW I put an dessert michlin of front, hate it in soft sand.( I thought they used these in Dakar & would be great in sand) NOT! I wanna take it off & put on something else. anyone want to trade? I like the taller profile & the michlin enduro comp III did sand well. Wish I'd stuck to the enduro comp III.

• truck6driver

Posted September 16, 2007 - 06:11 AM

Try to add more air pressure when riding it on the street and see if that will help with street manners. I do not run my tires under 15psi on the street.

RH

• Big Bob

Posted September 29, 2007 - 01:22 PM

I'm thinking about putting one of these on the rear of my XR650L. They offer two sizes in an 18", does anyone have any experience with either one?

http://www.intercotire.com/site53.php

• Shinyboat

Posted September 29, 2007 - 01:53 PM

I'm thinking about putting one of these on the rear of my XR650L. They offer two sizes in an 18", does anyone have any experience with either one?

http://www.intercotire.com/site53.php

Search the forums. The 110 shows up a few times from what I remember and there are a couple of reviews. The 110 isn't nearly as much of a tire.

• hill5150

Posted September 29, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Dont waste your time w/ a Terracrap tire. They suck bad mine was wasted first ride.Your wasting your time w/ a 110 as well.....Minimum 120 IMO..........

• weskc35k

Posted September 29, 2007 - 06:32 PM

5.5 lb pressure what do you expect but sideways action.

• Old Dog

Posted September 30, 2007 - 10:52 AM

Search the forums. The 110 shows up a few times from what I remember and there are a couple of reviews. The 110 isn't nearly as much of a tire.

I'm running the 110 on my '06 650L and haven't had a problem other than it being a little slippery on the pavement for the first 100 miles or so. I run it on the street at 22 psi and in the dirt I drop it down to around 15psi. You can see some pics of it when it was new on my bike in my Garage. I've got close to 1000 miles on it now and it's only around 1/4 worn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brokenparts123

Posted September 30, 2007 - 10:57 AM

5.5 lb pressure what do you expect but sideways action.

This depends on if he has A REAL terraflex. a real terraflex with the steel belting is made to run at 5.5 pounds.

If he has a chinese knock off POS it wont work properly at 5.5.

• bork

Posted September 30, 2007 - 06:52 PM

I never got to see an American version, but My 1st ride on a china model was priceless. Got about 30 mile into dualsport event, then the other 75ish miles, were on a flat TF. Ran some dirt roads in 5th gear WOT. I'm still running same tire today. Carcus was not damaged. Needles to say, I put my own tube in next time.

• ttmojo1

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:35 AM

This depends on if he has A REAL terraflex. a real terraflex with the steel belting is made to run at 5.5 pounds.

So where do you get a REAL 1?

Tony

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:58 AM

i cant believe any tire for 5psi wow Ill stick with my 606s

• Sundog

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:23 AM

Call and discuss this with the designer of the tire. I have....and the steel belted TeraFlex is no longer being made. It is now IIRC a 4-ply nylon belt which he had intended on from the beginning.

i cant believe any tire for 5psi wow Ill stick with my 606s

Go ahead.....but the tire was designed for ultra-low pressures and being able to run FLAT (with rim locks) if need be. 4-5 lbs in soft stuff, 10psi for road.

I still have one of the older steel belted ones in (new) sitting in my garage.

• BIGGITY

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:31 AM

http://www.thumperta...light=terraflex

• Brokenparts123

Posted October 03, 2007 - 12:42 PM

So where do you get a REAL 1?

Tony

No where. They arent produced anymore.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 03, 2007 - 01:50 PM

No where. They arent produced anymore.

That was *my* freakin' tire, too.

I think I helped make it popular, too.

Dave

• Rockjockey

Posted October 03, 2007 - 03:31 PM

I used to run the Terraflex back in the 80"s when it was labeled Dick Cepek and it was a hell of a tire, a pain to mount, you could finish any race with a flat due to the steel belted construction. The only problem I had was it got such traction it played hell with the clutch on my 85 XR350. It is heavy and has alot of momentum when you get it spinning. I bought one for my 2000 XR650R from Interco and it was a little different than it used to be, more wide shouldered. I tried the 110 and it shamed the Terraflex name. I've got a deal going with a local shop now and run strictly Michelin M12, S12 combo for offroad use as I advertise for him and he keeps me in tires as long as they are Michelins.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.