8 replies to this topic
  • 839deh

Posted September 15, 2007 - 09:29 AM

My last bike was a 05' crf450 I am looking for a new bike. I can get a
great deal on a 07' yz450f. My only concern is the steering problems I
here about on the yz's. Any thoughts?

• motomanmike26

Posted September 15, 2007 - 09:34 AM

they might not steer as well, but they have a bad ass motor.

• rexbond007

Posted September 15, 2007 - 11:45 AM

steering, is not really a "problem".
the complants are over rated. a guy out on the track pushing hard is going to have it wash out a little in the corner. if your a bush, trail guy you won,t be leaning the bike over enough to even know there is a "problem".
It's an awesome bike. go for it.

• cnorton

Posted September 15, 2007 - 11:56 AM

I just bought an 07 YZ450 2 weeks ago, coming off an 05 RMZ450, the bike is awesome, feels lighter while riding, front tire never felt washy to me but the bike kida felt like it wanted to stand up a bit more in the corners than my RMZ, nothing I'm worried about, I move the fork tubes up 5mm in the clamps and put a better front tire on, I race moto and going to race this bike tomorrow for the first time, have 20 races on my retired RMZ, cant wait. The engine is actually smoother and faster than the zuk!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • UnBubba

Posted September 15, 2007 - 12:48 PM

I don't get this stuff I'm reading lately about how different "off road" racing/riding is from moto. I've raced moto, off road, and desert, and I rode as fast as I could in each, and wanted my bike to turn just as well in the desert or woods as I did on a motocross track. Just because there are trees, cactus, and bushes around instead haybales and banners doesn't mean my bike should handle completely different. I know suspension setups differ significantly (depending on who you are), but what the heck?:thumbsup:
just my opinion.

• rexbond007

Posted September 16, 2007 - 06:16 AM

I don't get this stuff I'm reading lately about how different "off road" racing/riding is from moto. I've raced moto, off road, and desert, and I rode as fast as I could in each, and wanted my bike to turn just as well in the desert or woods as I did on a motocross track. Just because there are trees, cactus, and bushes around instead haybales and banners doesn't mean my bike should handle completely different. I know suspension setups differ significantly (depending on who you are), but what the heck?:thumbsup:
just my opinion.

well said. i think it's the set up and a new tire can make a difference.

• grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2007 - 06:55 AM

FWIW, I've seen a number of guys come on this forum and report that they moved from an '04-'06 CRF450 to a late YZF, and that they thought the Yamaha handled significantly better. I've never seen anyone state the opposite here.

• Captaincautious7

Posted September 16, 2007 - 07:02 AM

I came off of a 05crf onto a 07yz450 almost a year ago and have not regretted my change. It was my first yamaha in a long time.The engine itself is smoother running and the power is smoother which has helped reduced some of my fatigue. Suspension is alot better and bike just feels much lighter especially in the air compared to my 05crf. Next purchase will be another yamaha.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted September 16, 2007 - 11:31 AM

I've got a 07YZ450F and did 2 things to make it turn better. I slid the forks up in the triple clamps 5mm, and jacked the rear sag to 95mm, which puts more weight on the front end. It turns like a demon now, yet still stays straight on the rough high-speed straights on my local track.

Before I made the above changes, the bike still turned, but not how I like my bikes to turn.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.