Kenda Trakmaster II K760 Tires

18 replies to this topic
  • AtomicGeo

Posted September 14, 2007 - 02:26 PM

Opinions out there on Kenda Trakmaster II K760 tires for off-road aggressiveness on XR650L (both rear & front). Others out there are the MT21s or D606s, but much lower price on the Kendas. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Geo

• cleonard

Posted September 14, 2007 - 02:54 PM

The first time you see some rocks you will loose a lot of the knobs. They just don't hold up well to the torque.

How much road riding are you planning on? I only ride the road to connect trails, just a few miles at a time usually. I just run real non-DOT knobbies. Usually a Maxxis IT Desert on the rear. They hold up pretty well.

For front tires, most of the Pirelli's are DOT rated and they work well off road.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:10 PM

The first time you see some rocks you will loose a lot of the knobs. They just don't hold up well to the torque.

How much road riding are you planning on? I only ride the road to connect trails, just a few miles at a time usually. I just run real non-DOT knobbies. Usually a Maxxis IT Desert on the rear. They hold up pretty well.

For front tires, most of the Pirelli's are DOT rated and they work well off road.

I ride same as you .... mostly 10-20 miles street then go off-road, but on occasion can be 50 miles before hitting trails. Sounds like from what you are saying the torque of the XR650 is a litle too much for the Kenda knobs...so maybe in the end the Pirelli MT21 is the one to get for the front and for the rear you say Maxxis?

• bosshog

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:37 PM

My riding style is close to yours aswell. I have a street plated 650R and I use the trackmaster II's on the rear with the MT21 on the front. The trackmaster II rears are alright off road. They behave themselves on road as well. They wear alright also so long as you arn't doing alot of high speeds on the road. I can cruise down the road or highway at 60-70MPH with out much wear. If I roll on the throtle or accelerate quickly, more so at higher speeds I can wear the wear out in a few rides. If I take it easy on the road I can get more than a season out of one even if I spin the crap out of it off road. Price and avalibility is really the only reason I keep buying them. Now on the front the trackmaster II's suck offroad and on if you ask me. I'm not sure whey they're so bad offroad they look agressive enough but they don't turn well at all. It also wore unevenly for me also. So I spend alittle more and bought the MT21. Handles better, is DOT aswell and wears evenly and lasts years longer on the front than rear so it dosen't bother me to spend alittle more. Accereration and high speeds onroad will kill the Trackmasters in no time.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 18, 2007 - 08:01 AM

My riding style is close to yours aswell. I have a street plated 650R and I use the trackmaster II's on the rear with the MT21 on the front. The trackmaster II rears are alright off road. They behave themselves on road as well. They wear alright also so long as you arn't doing alot of high speeds on the road. I can cruise down the road or highway at 60-70MPH with out much wear. If I roll on the throtle or accelerate quickly, more so at higher speeds I can wear the wear out in a few rides. If I take it easy on the road I can get more than a season out of one even if I spin the crap out of it off road. Price and avalibility is really the only reason I keep buying them. Now on the front the trackmaster II's suck offroad and on if you ask me. I'm not sure whey they're so bad offroad they look agressive enough but they don't turn well at all. It also wore unevenly for me also. So I spend alittle more and bought the MT21. Handles better, is DOT aswell and wears evenly and lasts years longer on the front than rear so it dosen't bother me to spend alittle more. Accereration and high speeds onroad will kill the Trackmasters in no time.

Ok. Sound like these Kendas are out. Thanks for the advice. I will get the MT21s for the front. On the rear I am still not sure.

• COAL RUN

Posted September 18, 2007 - 08:37 AM

I have had good luck with the Kenda T.M. I have run this tire for about 900mi. mostly off-road. The trails here have plenty of rocks & i have yet to tear off a knob. I have seen other posts about these tires ripping off knobs, but this has not been my experince. I am running it on my XR650L. Here is a link for another nice looking off-road tire that I may try next.
http://www.motorcycl...WT.mc_ev=click#

• sokalbike

Posted September 18, 2007 - 12:59 PM

I like the Trackmaster DOT rear I'm on my 3rd one. I have a plated 650R ride mostly off road from Baja to the Sierra's. Long dual sport rides and a few races. And I have not found a better tire "value" then the Kenda for the rear. I have not changed the frt enough to find one I would recomend yet.

[COLOR="Red"]Also for the guys that have the Knobs coming off, what psi are you running ??[/COLOR]

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 18, 2007 - 03:23 PM

On pavement, TM's seem like they have Gummi Bears for the knobs.

I have a set on my 250R for the dirt (put them on for DOT reasons before I got my 650L) and they are squirrelly. Which can be fun, but it usually takes a few minutes to re-adjust to after riding on a harder compound like the MT21's on the L.

The price on the TM's is decent.

Oh, and yes they chunk. Even the lowly 250R will chunk them. I'll try to add pics later.

• 650_shark

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:23 AM

Here's a picture of a TKII chunking

Posted Image

That tire had about 150 miles total about 60% onroad miles. I got a replacement from Kenda, the new tire chunked with about 30 miles(road) on it.

I still have the replacement tkII on the bike and it appears I haven't lost anymore knobs. I'm switching back to a D606.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machman

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:27 AM

I know they grip wet cold pavement like a bastard b/c I outran my two buddies on their 1200 Bandits in the Lolo Pass using them. They're also not bad for light off-roading. Consider them a very good 50/50 tire.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:32 AM

Sounds like mixed reports on these tires...I don't care, a good tire should not have mixed issues. I am avoiding these...looks like I may go with the D606s, Pirelli MT21s or Maxxis 6006 or combination of these.

• martinfan30

Posted September 19, 2007 - 09:59 AM

love my mt21's , great offroad. they only lasted 1200 miles on asphalt tho.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 19, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

Yup. That's what mine did. They're chunkalicious!

• sokalbike

Posted September 19, 2007 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

That tire had about 150 miles total about 60% onroad miles. I got a replacement from Kenda, the new tire chunked with about 30 miles(road) on it.

I still have the replacement tkII on the bike and it appears I haven't lost anymore knobs. I'm switching back to a D606.

I don't understand how I have ridden over 2500 hard miles on mine and never a knob missing just worn out at about 1000 miles

Shark what PSI did you run in that tire that cunked ??

• scalejockey

Posted September 20, 2007 - 04:14 AM

Had a mt 21 front on the 650r,felt like a worn out dunlop, took it off and gave it away after two rides.Sucks in the dirt.Tried a Excella (cheap) front and maxxis desert IT rear ,works real good with that combo. I ride 90% dirt desert and woods. If you get the Desert IT have someone mount it they are WAAAAAY stiff.

• 650_shark

Posted September 20, 2007 - 05:28 AM

I don't understand how I have ridden over 2500 hard miles on mine and never a knob missing just worn out at about 1000 miles

Shark what PSI did you run in that tire that cunked ??

I ran at about 22 psi for road and trail.

• sokalbike

Posted September 20, 2007 - 07:17 AM

I ran at about 22 psi for road and trail.

maybe its a west coast east coast thing. I run 18 to 22 psi in mine

• kelsay

Posted September 25, 2007 - 09:02 AM

I went for my first DS ride on the 450X using the Perelli MT21 front and the Kenda Trackmaster II rear. The Trackmaster worked very well but, I think the 450X is just too much torque for that tire. The tire has small amounts of chunking after about 75 miles. I think when it's time for a new tire I'll give the D606 a shot. My 2 cents :thumbsup:

• ophir

Posted September 25, 2007 - 09:13 AM

I have ran the track masters for the last several years. For the price you can't go wrong.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.