From 140cc pit bike to 450f??

35 replies to this topic
  • HollywoodMX

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:23 PM

**Before posting I did serach but found that most of the people considering the the wr250 vs 450 were are larger dudes. So my situation is unique to my newbness on a big bike and size/weight.**

I just started riding this year. I quickly learned the ropes on my 140cc chinese pitbike. I am now ready for teh big toys, as when I frist started riding the pitbike I thought it was alot of power, now it feels like 50cc to me. At this point I have not rid a big bike. And I m too nervous to test drive someones big bike before buying, a friend will take car of the test drive for me.

Im 30, 155lbs, 5'8 and Italian (Italian power!!!). I trail ride only, from open, to quad size to tighter stuff.

I was orginally looking at the 03 and up WR250's (estart!), but have found a a good deal on a 450 for the same price as a 250 I'm looking at.

My friends are saying that a 450 is too much bike for me, and I will get hurt, this an that. At my size and stage in learning is the 450 to much for me and I should get the 250 and never look back?

I also read that the 03 450 had an estart problem?

Thanks.

• clark4131

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:19 PM

Given your size and experience, a 250 will serve you well...SC

• knightsofstevenson

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I totally agree with that^^. The 250 should be just about perfect for you. A LOT more power than your 140 but not the sometimes uncontrollable beastly power of a 450 for people just moving up.

• pjriss

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:31 PM

I have a 300 and a 426. They're different and I love them both. Why limit yourself to just one bike? You're Italian for Christ's sake!

• erickdj

Posted September 13, 2007 - 09:05 PM

a 450 is a BIG step up, you'll be better off on the 250. The 450 has enough power to scare the $%#@ out of you, even if you're Italian. Seriously, coming from the 140cc bike is like coming to the 450 with no experience at all, not a good idea. The 250 will have enough power to throw around your 155 lbs without a problem and then some more. Even the 250 has enough power to make you pay for any mistakes while riding.(assuming the 250 has been uncorked).

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 13, 2007 - 09:26 PM

Ok so the idea of modulating the throttle to get used to the 450 and learn its power is out? Like is it 1/4 thottle wheelie time or takes a little more jam than that? In 1 thread I seached a dude had his 13 year old kid racing it.

• erickdj

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:16 AM

Ok so the idea of modulating the throttle to get used to the 450 and learn its power is out? Like is it 1/4 thottle wheelie time or takes a little more jam than that? In 1 thread I seached a dude had his 13 year old kid racing it.

In 1st gear it's very possible to wheelie the bike with 1/4 throttle. The throttle modulation trick might not be very safe all the time, you might be riding on some rough spots and you can lose control of the throttle by accident, definitely not a good situation to be in. It's possible that a 13 year old could be racing one, but you gotta think of the possibility that said 13 year old has been riding bikes since he was 5 years old, and also body size, it might be a 6' tall 200 lbs 13 year old. We're not saying that controlling a 450 is completely out of the question for you, I'm 5'5" 180 lbs myself, but I didn't start learning on this bike, I had a 250 for a whole year before I ever rode the 450. It would be great if you could join the 450 cc "club", but be careful in getting there. Maybe a friend can let you ride a 250 until you get used to the bigger bike feel. It would have scared the %*$( out of me to try learning how to ride on the 450, most likely I would have abandoned the idea, thinking that it was just too crazy/risky. The 450 is a great choice for a bike, specially if you can find one cheap, just be very careful with it until you get used to the power characteristics of that beast.

• clark4131

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:36 AM

I think the biggest issue you will have is being able to reach the ground. At 5'8" you're not short, but unless you have a 33" inseam, you're going to have problems. You can get a lowering link and drop the bike a couple of inches, but then you likely need to get new springs front and rear to accomodate your light weight as well. The 250 is right where you need to be...SC

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:07 AM

They guy did not mention the 13 year old kids size, but I know he was only riding 4 months prior. The bike height issue will be the same for any bike in the class. I have a 33" inseem. The owner selling the bike is the same hight as me, he also shaved the seat an inch already.Like mentioned my main concern is "accidently jamming the throttle" and then getting into trouble.

Is there no mechanical way I can tame the bike? Sounds crazy as people usally mod to go faster.. but is there a way to detune the bike so itls less powerful, intake restrictions, sprocket changes, keep the park arrestor in, that way after a year I can put it back to stock and gain the extra power without having to sell my 250 to buy a 450.

I really would like to make this bike work somehow and I know there are smart and creative people on this forum.

• custom-cruiser

Posted September 14, 2007 - 08:17 AM

I had been out of riding for several years having owned a couple of older 250 2 strokes. A friend loaned me his extra bike one day and it quicky re-ignited the "Bug". I went out and bought a 2002 YZ 450F took to the trails and my first thought was "This is WAY to much bike for me" took it out again and same thing. We ride single track with some ATV trails. I did some research on gearing and it had a 48 tooth rear sprocket, I put on a 52 and i could actually get it out of 2nd on the trails. BIG differance. I rode that bike for 2 seasons and when it was time to purchase a new ride I went with the 2007 WR 450F and piped, jetted, air box and grey wire as soon as it was broke in. There was just no way I could step down to a less powerfull bike after getting used to such a power house. So long story short if in the long term you want the big bike go for it, although my opinion might be differant if I had bought a 250 instead. I am 5' 10" 205 lbs

What ever you decide the learning curve will be greater on the 450 but you will be having fun either way.

Good Luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HollywoodMX

Posted September 14, 2007 - 08:54 AM

I had been out of riding for several years having owned a couple of older 250 2 strokes. A friend loaned me his extra bike one day and it quicky re-ignited the "Bug". I went out and bought a 2002 YZ 450F took to the trails and my first thought was "This is WAY to much bike for me" took it out again and same thing. We ride single track with some ATV trails. I did some research on gearing and it had a 48 tooth rear sprocket, I put on a 52 and i could actually get it out of 2nd on the trails. BIG differance. I rode that bike for 2 seasons and when it was time to purchase a new ride I went with the 2007 WR 450F and piped, jetted, air box and grey wire as soon as it was broke in. There was just no way I could step down to a less powerfull bike after getting used to such a power house. So long story short if in the long term you want the big bike go for it, although my opinion might be differant if I had bought a 250 instead. I am 5' 10" 205 lbs

What ever you decide the learning curve will be greater on the 450 but you will be having fun either way.

Good Luck!

Thanks, actually thats a good point. I could actually hook up the grey wire as a way to detune it. And a change of the spokets to reduce the acceleration, leave in spark arrestor, would be the way to go to make it more tame.

• Maddeh

Posted September 14, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Well I'd say the 450 is fine. If you could make it back to stock specs, it is detuned enough in my opinion that it would be ok. Just don't immediately go out and try to do some aggressive or technical riding... take it somewhere easy and get used to it a few times, work your way up to the harder riding slowly.

The 03 did have a problem with the starter, but seems like there is a fix for it that's not too difficult. Maybe the guy you're buying it from already did it. I know there's info on TT about it, just don't know where exactly.

• clark4131

Posted September 14, 2007 - 09:58 AM

Is there no mechanical way I can tame the bike?

You can buy an '05 WR throttle stop that will only give you 1/2 throttle range. Change to a 15 tooth front sprocket. You can put a more restrictive exhaust on it. Reconnect the grey wire...SC

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 14, 2007 - 11:08 AM

You can buy an '05 WR throttle stop that will only give you 1/2 throttle range. Change to a 15 tooth front sprocket. You can put a more restrictive exhaust on it. Reconnect the grey wire...SC

Thanks man. The throttle stop is just a screw according to the parts guy, $24... I guess I can find any screw as long as it fits...

• erickdj

Posted September 14, 2007 - 11:37 AM

Thanks man. The throttle stop is just a screw according to the parts guy, $24... I guess I can find any screw as long as it fits...

not just any screw will fit, the part that goes into the carb is thinner than the threaded section, look up other posts about the throttle screw and you'll see what I mean, there are other posts with pictures on the forum.

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 14, 2007 - 12:06 PM

not just any screw will fit, the part that goes into the carb is thinner than the threaded section, look up other posts about the throttle screw and you'll see what I mean, there are other posts with pictures on the forum.

Thanks I looked at it. A fully threaded screw would work fine. Yamaha's oe is is a littel more fancy with the threads stopping since they did not want people to be able to use more thread length. Well I'm off to go look at this 450. I will report my conclusions.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 14, 2007 - 12:11 PM

a 450 is a BIG step up, you'll be better off on the 250. The 450 has enough power to scare the $%#@ out of you, even if you're Italian.

Come on Erick, don't give riders the impression that the an uncorked WR is some kind of uncontrolable monster :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• dustinw

Posted September 14, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Honestly, if you're an adult, an act like an adult (meaning using the grey stuff between your ears on a regular basis), the 450 would work fine I'm sure.

Sounds like a 250 would be the right bike for you though.

• erickdj

Posted September 14, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Come on Erick, don't give riders the impression that the an uncorked WR is some kind of uncontrolable monster :thumbsup: :bonk:

Sorry Joe, I forgot you're Italian. :thumbsup: :ride: The uncorked WR is a monster that you can put on a leash, but that leash will be near the braking point if not handled right. :thumbsup: :bonk: :worthy: But if even I can handle one, anyone could. :eek: :bonk:

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 14, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Sorry Joe, I forgot you're Italian. :thumbsup: :worthy: The uncorked WR is a monster that you can put on a leash, but that leash will be near the braking point if not handled right. :thumbsup: :ride: :thumbsup: But if even I can handle one, anyone could. :bonk: :bonk:

Ok just got back. Rode both the WR450 was fine, 250 was ass, had to wind it out way more. I can touch with both feet to the ground "tippy toes" so that part was fine too. I could pick up both bikes. This one was rejetted and titanium exhaust which I will put back to stock for now. I was told by the 250 guy in Canada there is no throttle stop or grey wire that it was only a US thing....

In the end I think because of the Italian factor I was fine, hahaha. I just have to be more careful with it, and like buddy said just use my head.

But man the wr450 is a nice ****ing bike for sure!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.