Baja Designs LED tail light and the 650L

33 replies to this topic
  • Rockjockey

Posted October 02, 2007 - 07:59 AM

They are 2002 CR forks resprung and revalved for my weight. I used the Emig Racing steering stem to fit them to the XRL and used the stock CR triple clamps and front wheel. Pretty simple job to do.

• BeeDub

Posted October 02, 2007 - 08:51 AM

They are 2002 CR forks resprung and revalved for my weight. I used the Emig Racing steering stem to fit them to the XRL and used the stock CR triple clamps and front wheel. Pretty simple job to do.

How much did it cost you? This thread is great, the forks and rear fender are the two things that bug me most about this bike!

• martinfan30

Posted October 02, 2007 - 10:09 AM

are the front brakes the same?

• Rockjockey

Posted October 02, 2007 - 12:13 PM

How much did it cost you? This thread is great, the forks and rear fender are the two things that bug me most about this bike!

I've got about $400 in the front end conversion and re-work.

• Rockjockey

Posted October 02, 2007 - 12:18 PM

are the front brakes the same?

I got the brake set-up with the forks but the XRL caliper bolt spacing was the same as the CR and it already had the brake light activation hooked up to it. The rotors are not the same, the mounting bolt pattern is different. I'm considering an oversized front brake rotor set-up maybe the Motomaster flame rotor.

• martinfan30

Posted October 02, 2007 - 01:26 PM

how much better is it now, braking? hiway? offroad?

• BeeDub

Posted October 02, 2007 - 01:26 PM

I've got about $400 in the front end conversion and re-work.

Well, that certainly doesn't sound too bad for this great a mod, huh? If and when I actually find my next bike, I'll be looking into this for sure, if it turns out to be a 650L. Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rockjockey

Posted October 02, 2007 - 02:25 PM

how much better is it now, braking? hiway? offroad?

I notice no difference in braking. Seems a little more stable at 70-80mph. I dont really use it offroad except for the occasional hit the median or shoulder to get out of traffic and it absorbs any of the unseen hazards in the grass there quite well. I bought it cheap and use it for cheap transportation around town or the occasional trip to work. I like plush suspension. Just trying to set it apart from the crowd of other 650L's. I've got an XR440 set up very similarly for offroad enduro work, I used 2004 CRF forks with Air Cells for that project. You can see it in the "My Garage" area.

• jbird710

Posted October 02, 2007 - 05:56 PM

So Emig Racing sells a steering stem for the XRL that will work with the CR clamps? Is there any modification to the clamps or the stem to make it work or is it simply pressing the stem into the clamps, add the bearing, and bolt it up?

Thanks,

Jay

• Rockjockey

Posted October 03, 2007 - 03:09 AM

So Emig Racing sells a steering stem for the XRL that will work with the CR clamps? Is there any modification to the clamps or the stem to make it work or is it simply pressing the stem into the clamps, add the bearing, and bolt it up?

Thanks,

Jay

It's just as simple as you described. They sell you a bushing that makes the hole in the upper clamp a little smaller that you put in also.

• gregman_1

Posted October 03, 2007 - 11:38 AM

I've also got the Maier MX style rear fender with the BD light on my XRL. Looks like it was made to go there. I left the Baja Designs bracket full length and bolted it on at the very front and very rear. Makes for a better light angle and stiffens the fender enough that vibration is not an issue.

• BeeDub

Posted October 03, 2007 - 11:48 AM

It's just as simple as you described. They sell you a bushing that makes the hole in the upper clamp a little smaller that you put in also.

Got part numbers? The Emig site didn't seem to get specific about anything to do with the XRL. Thanks! :confused:

• Rockjockey

Posted October 03, 2007 - 02:08 PM

Got part numbers? The Emig site didn't seem to get specific about anything to do with the XRL. Thanks! :confused:

Here you go:
http://www.emigracing.com/CRX46.htm

• BeeDub

Posted October 03, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Here you go:
http://www.emigracing.com/CRX46.htm

Thanks man! Okay, so now I know how to find it, now I just gotta find the bike to put it on...

By the way, it says there it's the stem conversion, so I'm assuming I have to find the triple clamp, which they have, the forks themselves, and a cr wheel. I'll get into sizing for it all when I have the bike. And now, I'm going to stop highjacking this thread with a completely unrelated topic, my apologies to the OP.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.