Baja Designs LED tail light and the 650L

33 replies to this topic
  • Rockjockey

Posted September 13, 2007 - 03:20 PM

I'm looking for examples of the rear fenders you guys are using to mount the BD LED tail lights to on the 650L's out there that are using this light. Has anybody got any pictures and/or tips on which fenders work best or which ones to stay away from? I going to do the LED conversion including turn signals and was just looking for input on this subject.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted September 16, 2007 - 08:58 AM

i have the baja designs kit with LED turns and brake light on my 650R, im sure the fenders are a little diffornt so it might not help you much. The kit is great through! works wonderfully and the LED's show up way better.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 17, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Another place to check for lighting kit products is Procycle:

http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

Geo

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:48 AM

click to enlarge.
xr400 front/crf450 rear. since these pics i raised the tip of the rear. looks really good.
Posted Image
Posted Image

the xr400 front not on in these pics either.

• Marooned_in_Kansas

Posted September 17, 2007 - 09:34 AM

How clean an installation is this (wiring, modifications to stock or aftermarket parts)? Did you have to mess with the subframe to install the CRF450 fender?

Thanks!

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:03 AM

no. its very clean if done with patience. all i had to do was reroute the harness along the subframe tube, no biggie here. then just start cuttin, test fit, cut some more and retest fit until it looks right and bolt er up! lreally improved the pigs looks. the xr400 front fender was really easy. just have to shim down the fender at the 2 rear bolt holes to clear the header. no more sat in the sun too long looking front fender!

• Denn10

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:17 AM

search theres a guy that had one on here about a month ago with pics it looked really nice check this here it is. i think thats a great TL and i need to do my pig

http://www.thumperta...light=taillight

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 10:29 AM

looks better than stock, but i'm not a big fan of the broke dick fender look!LOL

• Denn10

Posted September 17, 2007 - 01:09 PM

looks better than stock, but i'm not a big fan of the broke dick fender look!LOL

LOL u mean the stock one HEHEH why do they put such hideous looking fender/license plates on about every bike stock??

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 01:29 PM

ya. you seen any of the china bike fenders??? PUKE!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbird710

Posted September 17, 2007 - 05:28 PM

With a Maier rear fender:

Posted Image

With a Cemoto rear fender:

Posted Image

There's some more pictures in "My Garage"

http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=5587

I don't know where to get the Cemoto fender any more. XR's Only carried it but have discontinued it. THe rear fender for a XR600L will fit on the XR650L.

• Shinyboat

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:23 PM

I have the stock 650r fender and got an LED replacement for the incandescent bulb. It is a brake/tail combo and is incredibly bright for how small it is. It came from wheelin cycle supply online. It totally eliminated the need for a big ugly fender add on.

• stepho

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Here is a BD kit on a CR500 fender on my bike check it out. Let me know what you think.

http://www.thumperta...hicle&vid=11272

• martinfan30

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Here is a BD kit on a CR500 fender on my bike check it out. Let me know what you think.

http://www.thumperta...hicle&vid=11272

like it, may do a cr fender if/when i have to replace my crf fender.

• stepho

Posted September 17, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Wasn't too hard to do fit through the middle of the frame. Going to get a new seat to rid of the gap. Or maybe a new tool bag. Cheaper:thumbsup:

• Rockjockey

Posted September 18, 2007 - 08:08 AM

jbird, is that just a maier universal mx fender or what is it called?

• jbird710

Posted September 18, 2007 - 09:03 AM

jbird, is that just a maier universal mx fender or what is it called?

I'm pretty sure it's this one:

http://denniskirk.co...4&mmyId=8800296

I did have to take my Dremel tool to the back side. There was a lip that hung down and covered part of the tail light and I ground it down. Very easy to do and hard to mess up. It's not visible because you look down on top of the
fender when it's installed and the tail light covers it up.

You can probably get the fender cheaper than Dennis Kirk from the TT store or another place. I like dealing with DK and don't mind paying a little more for their excellent service.

• Rockjockey

Posted October 01, 2007 - 05:09 PM

I spent the weekend putting on the Maier and the BD led tail light as well as some cateye signals and an LED flasher. Then I put on the Krause Racing TiMoly sprockets and Smartring chain. I remedied the no speedometer problem encountered with the inverted front end with an ICO VRL dualsport speedo/odo also. Quite a productive weekend for me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• gearloos

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:17 PM

Wow thats funny, I just put the same setup on mine last Saturday. Maire Fender and BD led lamp. Ill post pics as it looks EXACTLY like yours RockJockey. I even hid the top 2 bolts under the Honda bag and the same placed back 2 bolts.

• jbird710

Posted October 02, 2007 - 04:46 AM

Awesome looking job Rock! How did you do your front end? What forks are those and how did you do the triple clamps?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.