rk chain junk

23 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:03 AM

If I adjust my bike to where it's correct and then put it on the stand, the chain looks horribly loose.

There are only two ways to set the chain tension that are correct. One is with the bike on the stand according to the manual. The other is to compress the rear suspension by some means (remove the spring, have a fat guy sit on it, whatever) so that the centers of the output shaft, swing arm pivot, and rear axle are aligned with one another. This is the tightest point in the swing, and at that point, you need 1/2" of true slack (up and down).

Any other method is wrong, because it isn't repeatable. The method outlined in the manual is how the chain will measure on the stand when it's been set by the second method (which is ultimately the single most accurate method), and is the recommended procedure because it's simple to do, and reliably repeatable.

• loudarbs

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:05 AM

I've used RK chains for 5-6yrs now with great success. Both on my roadrace bike and my MXer. Misalignment and/or a tire rubbing on the chain are a guarantee for early failure on any chain especially one with steel sprockets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the advice grey, i edited my post and included a better pic of the sprocket. There is some wear on the drive side of the sprocket but i'm not sure if its enough to prematurely wear a new chain...

When u say measure the slack in the chain from the rear slider screw, should it be from the top of the slider to the bottom, middle, or top of chain?

Also..the chain should touch the swingarm when pushed down BEHIND the slider correct?

The sprocket looks fine. Use it.

The manual is a bit vague, so I measure to the pins of the chain. I also generally keep toward the loose end of the spec.

Yes, you can actually push the chain down against the swing arm just behind the slider when it's set right. Check it out after you measure out your adjustment.

• Type Gendy

Posted September 24, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Alright, guess i'm gonna order up the onr6 and a narrower back tire as well. Put it back to the factory 110 width...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.