next mod- xr650r

13 replies to this topic
  • koldsimer

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:58 PM

I've had my xr650r for several months now and have really been enjoying it. (an 85 klr6oo was my last DS.. just a bit different than the xr!)I bought the bike with several good mods already done to it- applied tripples with cr high bend bars, t-4 slip on muffler, BD kit, gripper seat, eibach rear spring, uncorked and a few other minor things. I want to put another couple hundred bucks into it but I can't decide... i'm considering a new cam, header, oversize front rotor or maybe a gps unit. To be honest, i'm leaning towards the cam. Seems like a good bang for the buck mod.

So, if it were you, what would you do next and why?

Thanks in advance.

• hill5150

Posted September 12, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Cam stage II, it really opens up the powerband up top and mid, w/out a bottom end loss, If you have the extra $, go w/ the Edelbrock as well, starts are a snap, and it responds like magic...........

• Suikerland

Posted September 13, 2007 - 03:55 AM

If it was me.... Scotts damper and fork brace.

• weskc35k

Posted September 13, 2007 - 04:37 AM

Stage 2 best bang for buck,i know as i have one but a fork brace is a good deal too.
I've just sent off the cash to Ron at RSW for a Fork brace.
And my BRP is getting breathed on at the mo,decked head (12 to 1) match port and a lightened fly.
Sorry but at the mo it's all about me,this thread wasa just convenient.

• scalejockey

Posted September 13, 2007 - 05:10 AM

the best mod i've done is the oversized rotor from EBC now it stops like a new 450 150.00$

• hondacrf150f1

Posted September 13, 2007 - 06:34 AM

not trying to hijack just thought id ask the same question in the same thread.

ive got a 2007 XR650R completely uncorked with stock engine, i want more power outa it and im not sure if i should try holes in the airbox and bigger main jet, or a cam. Im kinda worried about doing motor mods cause i use the bike every day and i need the reliability to be there. I do around 1K miles a month. What kinda power will the cam, high comp piston, or edlebrock add?

• koldsimer

Posted September 13, 2007 - 11:31 AM

not trying to hijack just thought id ask the same question in the same thread.

ive got a 2007 XR650R completely uncorked with stock engine, i want more power outa it and im not sure if i should try holes in the airbox and bigger main jet, or a cam. Im kinda worried about doing motor mods cause i use the bike every day and i need the reliability to be there. I do around 1K miles a month. What kinda power will the cam, high comp piston, or edlebrock add?

From what I have heard, the cams are generally not a realiability issue. I recall hearing that the stage 2 cams may need different valvetrain components but that could just be the HRC cam.

From the suggestions so far, I think i'll be going with the cam. Time to do some research and see if I wanna go with a stage 1 or 2. The only thing that bothers me is that I still have the stock headpipe. Anybody have any experience using the cams with the stock header? Seems kinda like opening the engine up for high comp piston without ever uncorking it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR680RR

Posted September 13, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I really believe that there is no better money spent on the XR650R then on Suspension. Suspension, suspension, suspension! Then Pumper carb., Stage II cam, higher bars with less sweep, steering dampner, by now you need to upgrade the suspension again, then 680cc. Stay away from porting or polishing the head, if you ride in the dirt.

• koldsimer

Posted September 13, 2007 - 03:17 PM

I really believe that there is no better money spent on the XR650R then on Suspension. Suspension, suspension, suspension! Then Pumper carb., Stage II cam, higher bars with less sweep, steering dampner, by now you need to upgrade the suspension again, then 680cc. Stay away from porting or polishing the head, if you ride in the dirt.

Fork mods are definately down the road when I have a little more cash.

• BWB63

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Drill press, a few shims, 2.5wt fluid, make a few tools and you have the forks done yourself!

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

There are planty of pages here to get you started.

• weskc35k

Posted September 14, 2007 - 02:12 AM

Yep i have the stock headers with a stage 2 but my cam leads the crank by 3.4 degrees so with the stock headers and the cam timing my bike is good down low up to fairly high revs.
my porting and stuff will be going by next weekend time permitting so i will probably get a set of headers as the higher comp should help the bang from the bottom.

• BIGGITY

Posted September 14, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Steering Stabilizer. Thing has saved me many a times from some bad crashes:thumbsup:

• clreede

Posted September 15, 2007 - 02:39 PM

I have to say that the HRC Kit is the best bang for the buck, it is $1,200, but you get a lot more power and no reliability issues. The kit comes with everything you need, and since Honda designed it, you know it will last. If your only going to spend a couple hundred, the a dampener is the way to go though. You will be able to save a lot more energy, so you can keep going through the rocks and the woops. If it were me, I would just save the money until I could afford the HRC kit.

• weskc35k

Posted September 25, 2007 - 11:57 PM

Yep the HRC kit is $1200 and no worries.
The stage 2 kit is $200 and no worries,it's simple really.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.