Gps ????

20 replies to this topic
  • SteveDubo

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:38 PM

What GPS are you guys using.I have my handheld that i use for hunting.Which ones are holding up the best??Which ones can you see the best?? pics would be appreciated...Thanx...:thumbsup:

• wheelnut46

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:46 PM

I'll be getting the Garmin GPSmap 60CSX soon.

• walshdanielm1965

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:52 PM

+1 for the Garmin 60csx

• phazelag

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:55 PM

+1 for the Garmin 60csx

My favorite. I have a Map 60CS. This my choice for dirt bikes and MTN bikes. I did broke off my antenna in a severe crash and garmin traded me for a new refurbished one for $125.

• hill5150

Posted September 12, 2007 - 05:17 PM

Garmin E-trex legend, works awesome, easy to use, no failures even in 5th WFO in the Dez and very versatile w/ the Ram mount.....I get 10 hours plus of life w/ 2 AA Duracell......150.00 3 years ago, may be discontinued now

http://img.photobuck...xr6fiddy007.jpg

http://img.photobuck...vasu3-31018.jpg

• Whiteman

Posted September 12, 2007 - 05:23 PM

I just picked up a Garmin Quest from flea bay and seems pretty good. I can see how a slightly larger screen would be nice but I like the functions and seems very user friendly.

• T-Doshi9

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:17 PM

i have 2... i use the magellen sportrek pro just about every time. i also have a garmin pilot12 its kinda old but is a great one to track your fav trails and make your own maps.

• ezl_oo

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:33 AM

I have the Garmin GPS 5, it's old but works great!!

Posted Image

• SteveDubo

Posted September 14, 2007 - 02:34 AM

thats a sweet mount you got there...Thanx for all the info guys....

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 14, 2007 - 08:27 AM

My favorite. I have a Map 60CS. This my choice for dirt bikes and MTN bikes. I did broke off my antenna in a severe crash and garmin traded me for a new refurbished one for $125.

Can you use the 60CS in landscape mode?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThunderChicken

Posted September 14, 2007 - 08:28 AM

i.e. will it display the map sideways?

• HawkGT

Posted September 14, 2007 - 10:21 AM

I like my Garmin Foretrex 101. It does everything I need it to do. The only thing it doesn't have that most other models do have is store basemaps. The only thing my map page can display is my track and any waypoints I've entered.

It's proven very durable. Inexpensive and easy to swap among bikes too.

pic1
Posted Image

pic2
Posted Image

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 14, 2007 - 02:54 PM

I have a Foretrex 201 that's like your 101. I use it to lay out desert races. It's bitchen. I also zip tie it to the back of my chest protector to gank other club's layouts.

BTW, your cradle looks like it's twice the size of the unit... what gives? Is it just the angle of the photo?

• xrltim

Posted September 14, 2007 - 03:34 PM

I use a Garmin Rhino radio/GPS. It is a two way radio and GPS in one unit. I clip it directly to my back pack strap. It isn't good for on the fly navigation like that but it works great in radio mode. I can reach up and push the talk button and hear it no problem as long as I'm going a little slow. I'm planning on making a handlebar mount and a remote mic/headphone sometime soon. A few of my buddies have them as well, they work great.

• HawkGT

Posted September 14, 2007 - 04:29 PM

I have a Foretrex 201 that's like your 101. I use it to lay out desert races. It's bitchen. I also zip tie it to the back of my chest protector to gank other club's layouts.

BTW, your cradle looks like it's twice the size of the unit... what gives? Is it just the angle of the photo?

It's just the angle. It's a Garmin-made mount made to fit the unit.

The cradle slides off the part that's clamped to the bars. You can buy the bar camp separately so I've got one on each machine. I usually take a couple different machines with me on dune trips so it's real convenient to slip it on and off whatever it is I'm riding at the time. Also, when the cradle isn't mounted the bar clamp is super low profile and unobtrusive.

I use to just use the included wrist strap to mount it to my cross-bar pad. That worked really well except when dual sporting I didn't like leaving it on there while parked. It wasn't all that convenient to take it on and off all the time. With the bar mount it takes about 1 second to remove.

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Ditto, Garmin GPS V.

Yeah its old technology and a gray-scale screen, but its:
- very durable,
- has decent battery life
- takes battery or bike power,
- loads different maps, depending on where you're riding,
- has tons of programability.
- will give a vertical or horizontal map view
- I've used mine all over the US and Europe, never fails me.
I have a RAM mount for mine and the mount is pretty much bullet-proof.

One measure of the value of the GPS-V is that even though its been discontinued for about 18 months, eBay prices are still hefty.

(I also have a Garmin Zumo 550, but at $1000 it stays safely on my Harley Electra Glide.)

• phazelag

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:38 PM

i.e. will it display the map sideways?

I am not sure I will check. I liked the 60 because of the taller display. When you going slow the wide and short is OK, but when going fast, I prefer to see more map in front of me. You can turn off the data fields so you can see more map, but I am not sure about sideways. I will check and get back to you.

Z

• phazelag

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:48 PM

It doesnt look like it has landscape mode. You can have it with the track up or north up. I cant find a way to put in landscape in the menu or manual. I guess the only reason I would do that is to mount is sideways on the bars. I might not have broken my antenna if you could do that.

Z

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:51 AM

It's just the angle. It's a Garmin-made mount made to fit the unit.

The cradle slides off the part that's clamped to the bars. You can buy the bar camp separately so I've got one on each machine. I usually take a couple different machines with me on dune trips so it's real convenient to slip it on and off whatever it is I'm riding at the time. Also, when the cradle isn't mounted the bar clamp is super low profile and unobtrusive.

I use to just use the included wrist strap to mount it to my cross-bar pad. That worked really well except when dual sporting I didn't like leaving it on there while parked. It wasn't all that convenient to take it on and off all the time. With the bar mount it takes about 1 second to remove.

Yeah I have that same cradle from Garmin. That's why I thought maybe you had something I didn't know about. But yeah, it must be the angle.

I believe the difference between my unit and your's is mine is a solid state battery that's rechargeable. Your's takes AAAs, right?

I bought the 201 because I thought the unit wouldn't turn off due to vibration. It still turns off. I have to keep an eye on it and turn it on all the time.

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:53 AM

It doesnt look like it has landscape mode. You can have it with the track up or north up. I cant find a way to put in landscape in the menu or manual. I guess the only reason I would do that is to mount is sideways on the bars. I might not have broken my antenna if you could do that.

Z

Yeah, I want to get a unit for the dual sport bike I don't own yet (I also just bought a 7 gal. acerbis gas tank for the dual sport bike I don't own).

I'd like to find something that mounts horizontally but it makes sense to read the unit vertically.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.