Chain Problems, link removal?

4 replies to this topic
  • Yz400Flyer

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Howdy,

So my chain is due for a change but the new one is in the mail for a couple of days. My current chain has a bunch of slack, even with the axle blocks moved way back. I have room to remove one link to make it tighter, turning it from a 114 to a 113. Will that hurt anything (sprockets mainly) if I do that for one or two rides (going to the track tomorrow). I am tired of having the chain flop around and hitting the frame once in a while, plus I don't want to kill my sprockets which are still in good shape.
So, one link out is ok?

Arno

Is it recommended to get new sprockets with a new chain? cause I know they say to get a new chain when you get new sprockets...

• rexbond007

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:44 PM

go ahead 113 links makes no difference.

it is a good idea to change your sprockets with the chain. if the sprockets show some wear then do it.

i'm running 113 links on my 450

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Metric Mark

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:21 PM

As long as the tension is right it won't matter. Better than having it flop all over.

• 642MX

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:29 PM

Howdy,

So my chain is due for a change but the new one is in the mail for a couple of days. My current chain has a bunch of slack, even with the axle blocks moved way back. I have room to remove one link to make it tighter, turning it from a 114 to a 113. Will that hurt anything (sprockets mainly) if I do that for one or two rides (going to the track tomorrow). I am tired of having the chain flop around and hitting the frame once in a while, plus I don't want to kill my sprockets which are still in good shape.
So, one link out is ok?

Arno

Is it recommended to get new sprockets with a new chain? cause I know they say to get a new chain when you get new sprockets...

If your chain is stretched bad enough to take a link out, then you probably need sprockets too. I always replace them as a set.

• Yz400Flyer

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the inputs.

I have a new chain and sunstar sprockets on the way :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.