Chain Question

8 replies to this topic
  • brightman

Posted September 12, 2007 - 03:07 PM

im sure this has been covered, so...the final verdict...650L,all the mods without going in the motor,,do any of you guys use a clip style masterlink or am i just paranoid.want to get TATtrail prepared,and i value your experience. thanks.

• cleonard

Posted September 12, 2007 - 03:25 PM

im sure this has been covered, so...the final verdict...650L,all the mods without going in the motor,,do any of you guys use a clip style masterlink or am i just paranoid.want to get TATtrail prepared,and i value your experience. thanks.

On my 600, I've never had a problem. There are three kinds of chains. The old style non o-ring chain. The master link just slips on and is held by the clip. Never used this kind. All the ringed chains that I have used were press fit. It took a LOT of pressure to get the side plate on. They have a clip too, but I don't think it does much. One time when replacing this type of chain I found the clip missing. It may have been gone for a year. The third type is the true riveted type. This requires a special tool for installation, and should never come undone.

• LeadDoggy

Posted September 13, 2007 - 05:20 AM

Clip type is all I ever used. Never had any problems....

• Denn10

Posted September 13, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Clip type is all I ever used. Never had any problems....

same here always used clip masters.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • heavyhitter

Posted September 13, 2007 - 06:12 AM

Ive always used clips and never had an issue I been riding for 22 years. I had a buddy lose a clip but the chain stayed on and he only knew it was off from lubing the chain, dunno how long it was off.

I just got a new chain and went with a clip, they work great :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:54 AM

The Oring chains I've gotten, the instructions say to make sure the plate is tight against the back of the clip.

If you press the plate on a bit too far, I guess there could be a small gap behind the clip, making it easier for the clip to come free.

I press the plate on a little at a time, just enough to get the clip on, then after the clip is fully seated I use the chain breaker to pull the plate out against the clip to make sure its tight.

Dave

• YetiX

Posted September 13, 2007 - 12:32 PM

Clip master here too.

• brightman

Posted September 14, 2007 - 12:36 PM

thanks,i got a new gold kmc i think it is,just wondeing if there was any horror stories about the clip style.you guys have eased my mind:thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted September 14, 2007 - 12:54 PM

http://www.kneedragg.../masterlink.jpg
Just make sure you clock it right, have the end of the clip, the open ends, pointed towards the right if its on the top. Know what im saying, that way when it goes through the chain guide the ends cant accidently grab and knock it off. Thats what ive always done

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.