High comp piston: any dynos or other data on differences?

12 replies to this topic
  • 78sharpshooter

Posted September 12, 2007 - 11:33 AM

I am thinking of putting a high comp piston in my '01 YA426F. I know it has been discussed before qualitatively that the high comp piston when fed race gas will have better low to mid but does anyone have any dynos to show the difference quantitatively?

• grayracer513

Posted September 12, 2007 - 01:28 PM

Looking at the peak power numbers doesn't tell the whole story. Increases in compression give the greatest gains in power at lower speeds, the gain tapering off as rpm increases. This is because there is more time to completely fill the cylinder at lower rpm than at high. Nevertheless, compression is a good way to pick up power across the board.

• 78sharpshooter

Posted September 12, 2007 - 02:38 PM

I see. So because I like to be in the lower half of the RPM's quite often then the high comp piston should suit me well, right?

• Birdy426

Posted September 12, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Absolutely...so would abig bore kit!

• 642MX

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:06 PM

Absolutely...so would abig bore kit!

Alright alright alright...... I'll send my extra cylinder off next week. :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:11 PM

I am thinking of putting a high comp piston in my '01 YA426F. I know it has been discussed before qualitatively that the high comp piston when fed race gas will have better low to mid but does anyone have any dynos to show the difference quantitatively?

The 13.5:1 piston makes a big difference in the low end power. Mid range has more snap too, but it doesn't make much difference on the top end.

I wouldn't rebuild mine without a 13.5:1 piston.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:38 PM

The 13.5:1 piston makes a big difference in the low end power. Mid range has more snap too, but it doesn't make much difference on the top end.

I wouldn't rebuild mine without a 13.5:1 piston.

Pump gas ok?

• 642MX

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Pump gas ok?

Yes it will run off pump gas, but I do use race fuel. The high compression isn't the only reason for my use of the race fuel.

• twenty34

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:51 PM

Yes it will run off pump gas, but I do use race fuel. The high compression isn't the only reason for my use of the race fuel.

Does it run OK on pump?

• 642MX

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Does it run OK on pump?

As long as its not pinging its okay to use pump gas. Lots of newer MX bikes come from the factory with 13.5:1 compression and a 91 octane recommendation.

• LPT1485

Posted September 13, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Does anyone have any helpful tips on installing a wiseco 13.5 to1 in their yz426?

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2007 - 05:50 AM

Use a ring compressor.

Avoid dislodging the front cam chain guide when installing the head (verify its position and correct as necessary before bolting the head down).

Pay attention to the details, like torque, lubrication, cleanliness.

• 642MX

Posted September 13, 2007 - 09:55 AM

Use a ring compressor.

Or a big hose clamp to compress the rings. (Thats what I use)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.