24mm triple clamps for the 06 yz450f

46 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted September 13, 2007 - 05:47 AM

Boy, for someone who seems to know anything you sure are wrong on alot of points. As I have the article here in front of me, as if you read to the last paragraphs, they said and I quote " for rider who absolutely hate the YZ450F tendency to push in the center of the corner, the 17MM clamps are the viable option. " They later say "this is the offset we would recommend to the YZ450F haters". Boy they must really hat ethem to recommend them. They like the applied clamps but they stated that the benefits were small emough to be erased by bad bike set up, and to expensive for the difference.
Second of all, the Zipty Clamps are only $499.00 look on the web site.
Third, who makes doug dubach a god. Isn't he the one who developed the 450 that handles so badly. I would put Ty davis record to dubach any day. For a guy who has more AMA titles, Baja Wins, WORCS Championships, GNCC CHampionships than all the racers out there, and dubach has how many?
But to each his own, you like what you like, but would really like to know who's 17MM clamps you tried, as no other company makes them other than Zipty. Just don't rip things apart that you know nothing about.

Now Steve, you know I am a big supporter of Zipty Racing as you helped me out(knowledge, on the Carb mod kits) and taken my hard earned cash on several occasions....but admit it, you are a Honda pilot and when it comes to the reality of what us normal Yamaha owners that have no chance in hell of riding up to the standards of your man Ty at ZT, and or Doug at DRD for that matter, maybe a majority would not even notice a need for clamps on any bike for that matter. I am sure Ty luvs his 17mm clamps just as RC luvs his crazy bike set up. But what this means to us commoners is that what works for them may totally sux for us. According to the MXA article, The 17mm help with push in the center of a turn....ok....well I want help with push throughout the entire turn...and this is what the 24mm fixed for me. And YZ haters should sell their bikes before they even spend any money on fixing them IMO.....and you know what ...I do not care what MXA opinions are....they are flakey as hell any way on most every opinion they publish...The article was interesting never the less....especially if you own a 07.
My real world experiences with 06s and clamp offsets..and this took a while to accomplish....this is why my 06 just got clamps within the past 90days.
I rode another yami with the ZT 17mm clamp kit before I made a decision to even swap out clamps on my 06. I also tried the 22mm RG3s and 24s by RideEng and Applied all on yami 450s. For me and my ability the 24s made the biggest improvements on my 06. They help me go faster across the entire turn, as well as entrance and exiting apexes w/o any push. That article you so elloquently quoted is for the 07...agreed not that much difference between a 06/07 but still facts are facts and the 07 is not the exact bike as the 06. So I appologize for coming across a little cocky, and with inflated pricing, (although I thought I read that they were more than 499.00 on ZTs website when they first came out), but this whole clamp issue has been the subject of many thread debates for months on end. I do not think that there is a single best solution for everyone, but I do know that the best solution for me is now on my 06 yami. And it is 24mm....

Now to your point of Ty vs Doug......Records yea...ok, They both have records....but I would put money on Doug taking Ty in a motocross race. I would say it would be a darn close race. Ty is a great rider....but Doug is quick....he blistered at Lorettas. And it would be fun to watch....
To your point on Doug and his bad development skills.....not a good place to make this kind of statement....yea Doug is kinda King around here when it comes to yamaha, and some here may think of this as fighting words...excuse my Southern lingo...for a @$$ kickin.
Both Ty and Doug are yami kings to me....who is better at development?
We all know Doug is probably somewhat on Yamis payroll, but I would say Ty also influences Yami too...fair is fair right....

And by the way Sir Steven, :ride: ....as a endorser to ZipTy's Carb Mod(best 100.00 bucks anyone can spend to wake up any FCR)and the fact that I have helped sell at least 10 of these or more right here....and since I am not on the ZipoTy payroll....and my 2 carbs don't have the trick billet AP pump bracket.....you should send me a free gift. :thumbsup:

cheers...all in fun my friend :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2007 - 06:22 AM

Isn't (Doug Dubach) the one who developed the 450 that handles so badly.

No. He's one of the people who developed the modification to the cam timing that was adapted and by Yamaha for '06, and further tweaked since then, which is responsible in large part for the uncanny, deceptive power delivery of the engine. He was one of the first to recommend an NFLR needle in the '06, which became standard in '07. He recommended a steeper head angle, which also came out on the '07. And the '08 that is said to handle so much better than its predecessors features the same steering geometry as an '07 with his 24mm clamp set (or a similarly equipped '06 with the forks pulled up).

Doug is and has been one of the all time best test riders/developers in any motor sport ever. That's a skill set that has far less to do with how fast one is, and a great deal to do with his ability to objectively observe and analyze.

Posted Image

....as a endorser to ZipTy's Carb Mod(best 100.00 bucks anyone can spend to wake up any FCR)

That mod may in fact be the best bang for the buck anywhere in the business. Compare the performance gains you get from the Zip-Ty mod at $100 to those from buying an $800 exhaust system. Hmm?

• adamdf

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:03 AM

WOW, this thread is interesting that's for sure. Thanks for all the good information Gray, GA426owner, and bigred.

• Wiz636

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:14 AM

So who can speak from experience how the different offsets work in offroad situations? Could it be assumed that a 17mm offset would be better for tight gnarly singletrack requiring extremely quick steering?

I was lined up next to Andy Jefferson from ZipTy at the Olympia WORCS race (which was rather intimidating) and I asked him if he was using a 17mm offset, he confirmed this and said it was great. He disappeared from my sight shortly after the start :thumbsup: We race in the same class only on paper! But I digress...

My point is that I have mucho respect for both Doug and Ty but my concern is for MY type of racing (A class offroad) and all the feedback on here seems to be MX oriented...have any offroaders here tried the different setups?

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I think that you'll find that for the most part, most OR racers tend not to give too much thought to steering geometry as being an element of their set up that they should concern themselves with. Not that it isn't important to them, I just think that's what people tend to do. As a result, there are probably far fewer riders who have decided to drop $400+ on a clamp set in the Off-Road realm then elsewhere.

MX guys, OTOH spend half their "life" in corners, and tend to put cornering issues farther up their list of stuff to work on.

• adamdf

Posted September 13, 2007 - 10:46 AM

I think that you'll find that for the most part, most OR racers tend not to give too much thought to steering geometry as being an element of their set up that they should concern themselves with. Not that it isn't important to them, I just think that's what people tend to do. As a result, there are probably far fewer riders who have decided to drop $400+ on a clamp set in the Off-Road realm then elsewhere.

MX guys, OTOH spend half their "life" in corners, and tend to put cornering issues farther up their list of stuff to work on.

+2 on this. Most mx riders will tell you, races are pretty much won in the corners, you have to carry good speed and be real aggressive in the corners if you want even half a chance at winning on an mx/sx styled course.

• djtroy

Posted September 13, 2007 - 03:10 PM

WOW, this thread is interesting that's for sure. Thanks for all the good information Gray, GA426owner, and bigred.

What about me, no props? Im the one who asked the question in the first place. I figure if it wasnt for me the entertainment and knowledge would not have been passed on to us. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, someone has to ask the tough questions:

Posted Image

• adamdf

Posted September 13, 2007 - 04:21 PM

What about me, no props? Im the one who asked the question in the first place. I figure if it wasnt for me the entertainment and knowledge would not have been passed on to us. :thumbsup:

Props to ya man, you have sparked quite a debate.

What i really think needs to be done by someone or some publication, is a real unbiased test with all the different offsets available. The purpose of the test should not necessarily be to pin point the best clamp (because everyone is different in what they may like in a bike), but rather to point out the result of using each clamp and what it has achieved, and ofcourse what the drawbacks were as well (if any).

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 13, 2007 - 05:05 PM

Not really to highjack WHOEVERS thread this really is, seeing how there is about 4 main people arguing over everything.

I want to add some more confusion to the issue. The (new) ProTaper 22.5mm offset. Would their offset be somewhere between the RG3 22mm and the Applied 24mm? If anyone has tried them, let everyone know (as long as your knowledgable)

http://www.protaper....amps/index.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:54 AM

That one I did not try......:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2007 - 08:21 AM

What i really think needs to be done by someone or some publication, is a real unbiased test with all the different offsets available.

When Applied Racing researched this issue in order to decide what clamps to offer for the '06 models, they conducted true blind tests using a group of Pro and A riders selected for their abilities as test riders. The riders were never told which offset they were riding, and their comments were taken separately from the rest of the group. The question was simply, "Which one corners better in your opinion?"

What came out of this was interesting because this group chose a 27mm offset for the YZ250F, and a 24mm offset for the YZ450F, and did so by a significant majority in both cases.

The test you suggest would be a little different, of course, because you would ask for a complete report on each one. It should still only be done "blind" to the extent that the clamp be covered so as to be invisible to the rider prior to and during the test, and prior to giving his opinion. In that way, preconceived expectations are not a factor.

• twenty34

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Yeah, someone has to ask the tough questions:

Posted Image

ROFL....Love that pic!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :worthy: :ride:

• todds924

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:30 PM

I race motocross so therefore I am going to ask the guys who race motocross. I am also going to go with Dubach over Davis because Dubach is faster on an MX track. LOL

I thought I was the only one getting dramatic on here. LOVE IT.

Is it possibole 22mm are too aggressive?

I have been using the RG3's in 22mm offset for a year now. It's what Rg3 recommended for racing motocross. The turn in is way better and the front wheel sticks WAAAAAY better from the middle of the corners out. High speed stability is still rock solid. The most noticeable thing about them is the rubber mounting system they use. They feel very nice on the hands compared to the stock solid mounts. The 4 post mounting system prevents twisting during a crash and I have slammed them hard a few times. As for the other offsets? I don't know because I've never tried them.

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 14, 2007 - 11:09 PM

I have been using the RG3's in 22mm offset for a year now. It's what Rg3 recommended for racing motocross. The turn in is way better and the front wheel sticks WAAAAAY better from the middle of the corners out. High speed stability is still rock solid. The most noticeable thing about them is the rubber mounting system they use. They feel very nice on the hands compared to the stock solid mounts. The 4 post mounting system prevents twisting during a crash and I have slammed them hard a few times. As for the other offsets? I don't know because I've never tried them.

thats where im having my issues. from the center out. it tends to jump out of the rut. what class do you ride? and also, as far as stabilty through whoops is concerned, how is that?

• todds924

Posted September 15, 2007 - 06:36 PM

thats where im having my issues. from the center out. it tends to jump out of the rut. what class do you ride? and also, as far as stabilty through whoops is concerned, how is that?

I race 40 intermediate every weekend. Stability through whoops feels the same as the stock clamps with the big difference being felt in the rubber mounting. I also run the Henry/Reed bend Pro Tapers. At one point I found it was my tendency to not look far enough forward when exiting rutted turns and that would also cause the front wheel to wan't to "jump out" of the ruts on exit. The 22 offset clamps are a definite/ noticeable improvment to me. The biggest problem I have now is whether to race my 06 or my 08.

• twenty34

Posted October 06, 2007 - 08:25 PM

:confused:
I tried a 06 with the 17mm and found the bike turn in is very strange compared to 24mm

Can I ask how long you rode with the 17mm's? When you say "strange" can you describe in more detail what you are referring to?

Thanks

• almostinvincible119

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:09 PM

dam, this thread it back again? theres a more recent one up here somewhere

• Ga426owner

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:40 AM

Can I ask how long you rode with the 17mm's? When you say "strange" can you describe in more detail what you are referring to?

Thanks

steering was very vague to me with them...they may work for others but did not impress me at all

• almostinvincible119

Posted October 07, 2007 - 03:22 PM

uhh oh, theres one more clamp combo someone hasnt tried yet
lets add some more confusion to this

http://www.redbaronr...Ti Dual Exhaust

this may solve everyones problem when they are hesitant on buying offset clamps

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.