Rm 450 Vs Yz450

12 replies to this topic
  • HANDSOME

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:27 AM

I had an 03 yz 450 and sold it now I'm looking at an 07 RM (great rebates) and ther are no yz450's left around. I am not a racer nor brand loyal to anything but I did cherrish my YZ. OPINIONS PLEASE.

• Ranger18

Posted September 12, 2007 - 09:02 AM

The yzf is very reliable, and is very easy to ride. It is true that it requires good rider input, but that's because it is very sensative to rider movement. I love my 06 and will not sell it until it gets very run down. I've never riden the rmz but I hear it has some hard hitting low end power. So I guess if you are a very agressive rider who likes tones of power than the RMZ is the way for you. If you like a controled, smooth, & Fast ride, with no reliability issues then the yzf is for you. Bikes now adays are pretty evenly matched, it just depends what bike you feel more confertable on, and what color you like.:thumbsup:

• greentyler

Posted September 12, 2007 - 09:33 AM

^agreed.

but i will always ride blue... my blood runs blue in my veins!

look at the veins on the underside of your wrist... if you see blue blood in them that means you should by the yami!

• Ga426owner

Posted September 12, 2007 - 10:26 AM

^agreed.

but i will always ride blue... my blood runs blue in my veins!

look at the veins on the underside of your wrist... if you see blue blood in them that means you should by the yami!

now that is a first....I have not heard that one before....:thumbsup:

• HANDSOME

Posted September 12, 2007 - 11:57 AM

Are the RM's not reliable ?

• NorCal

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Are the RM's not reliable ?

If you like adjusting valves and rebuilding top ends prematurely, buy the RM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cnorton

Posted September 12, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I have an 05 RMZ450 with 93 hours on it, installed new rings at 57hrs just to see what was going on inside, everything looked new, no kidding, I mic'd everything out and all within spec, so to say that isn't an accurate statement, however I recently purchased a new 07 YZ450f and love the bike.

• USED YZ426F

Posted September 13, 2007 - 05:29 AM

If you like adjusting valves and rebuilding top ends prematurely, buy the RM.

Not trying to start a flame-war here - but is don't think that this is necessarily true.

All of the 450s are pretty evenly matched with regards to reliability. Sure, some may require a bit more regular maintenance than others, but if you maintain your bike properly (as per the manufacturer) you should have relatively few problems.

Of course, just as in all things in life, there are exceptions................

• NorCal

Posted September 13, 2007 - 04:55 PM

Not trying to start a flame-war here - but is don't think that this is necessarily true.

All of the 450s are pretty evenly matched with regards to reliability. Sure, some may require a bit more regular maintenance than others, but if you maintain your bike properly (as per the manufacturer) you should have relatively few problems.

Of course, just as in all things in life, there are exceptions................

I don't know about that. I think Yamaha has their 450s pretty figured out as far as reliability is concerned. The Yamaha tech that does side work for me, and many others, out of his garage is always rebuilding Honda's, Suzuki's, and Kawasaki's because they have blown up. I just had him check the valves on my 2006 YZ450 at 80 hours (hour meter on my bike) and they were still in spec.:thumbsup:

• HANDSOME

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:41 PM

What happened to the RM's that blew up ? How much is an hour meter ?

• USED YZ426F

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:13 AM

I don't know about that. I think Yamaha has their 450s pretty figured out as far as reliability is concerned. The Yamaha tech that does side work for me, and many others, out of his garage is always rebuilding Honda's, Suzuki's, and Kawasaki's because they have blown up. I just had him check the valves on my 2006 YZ450 at 80 hours (hour meter on my bike) and they were still in spec.:thumbsup:

I agree that Yamahas are pretty well designed and built. I got my 426 with an unknown number of hours on it, but it still runs like a champ and everything is in fine working condition. This winter I will take the time to go through the whole engine / tranny with a fine tooth comb and see what is going on.

All I am saying is that many problems encountered with bikes are direct results of how they are maintained / ridden. If you change your oil, lube stuff and check tolerances as recommended by the maker, then you will more likely have fewer problems.

Incidentally, what are the main problems that your buddy is seeing with the other bikes? Broken valve train? Seized pistons? Tranny/clutch problems?

• NorCal

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:31 AM

All I am saying is that many problems encountered with bikes are direct results of how they are maintained / ridden. If you change your oil, lube stuff and check tolerances as recommended by the maker, then you will more likely have fewer problems.

Incidentally, what are the main problems that your buddy is seeing with the other bikes? Broken valve train? Seized pistons? Tranny/clutch problems?

Yeah, I agree one 100% with whole staying on top of all the maintenance stuff. But even when you keep up both a Yamaha and any other brand of bike, I'm convinced the Yamaha will outlast and have less problems than the others.

When I get my bike from my buddies, he usually has the whole motor out of the bike and doing something with the cylinder and valves. I'm not sure what exactly it is that he's doing. All I know is the bike that is getting ripped apart isn't blue.

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2007 - 08:37 AM

I agree, but only up to a point. Certainly some things might be avoided with better maintenance, but a YZF that is ignored to the point of abuse will prove more reliable than most other bikes that are maintained religiously. Some of the problems encountered by other brands, frankly, are inexcusable.

As far as the RMZ450 goes, I haven't honestly paid enough attention to how well they've been holding up, or what specifically they've had trouble with. You might search their forum for crank, piston, valve, etc., problems or failures to see what exactly you find.

Handsome, you remember your '03. The '06-'08 takes the same reliable basic package, updates it, and puts it in a totally different bike. There's only really 1-3 pounds difference between them, but it feels like 30 when you ride it. And the suspension is better than anything stock. Night and Day doesn't begin to cover it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.