WR450 How many km's you doing before a top-end rebuild?

11 replies to this topic
  • dazzabb

Posted September 12, 2007 - 12:31 AM

Guy's,

I'm curious to know how many km's I should be looking at before needing to change the piston / rings on an 05 WR450 used for trail riding?

Had to rebuild the :thumbsup: after a main bearing failure and have a new cylinder /piston/ rings so now being extra cautious with the upkeep.

Cheers

• dazzabb

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:22 PM

So nobody out there has done a top end rebuild on their WR450?!!!!

• sidewinder2

Posted September 14, 2007 - 12:48 PM

Not yet, But mines an 06 with 41 hours.:thumbsup:

• dr x

Posted September 14, 2007 - 02:28 PM

The manual says inspect the top end every 1000 km's

• ckulzer

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:49 AM

I did valves, springs, cam chain, piston, rings. etc. after 132 hours of racing/trail riding.

The valves were starting to mushroom and all other parts looked worn. It was time.....

These bikes are not like a TT500. They will not last forever.

• face_plant

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:58 AM

9000 miles and she is making "a little noise" P
parked til i can adjust the valves
no performance problems just noise 1st kick or 1 push of the button and off i go

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted September 24, 2007 - 01:08 PM

I did valves, springs, cam chain, piston, rings. etc. after 132 hours of racing/trail riding.

The valves were starting to mushroom and all other parts looked worn. It was time.....

These bikes are not like a TT500. They will not last forever.

What was the maintenence schedule like? Oil changes? Air filter cleanings? Valve clearance inspection?

• w00dsRider

Posted September 25, 2007 - 04:52 AM

What was the maintenence schedule like? Oil changes? Air filter cleanings? Valve clearance inspection?

Good question! I know of a WR400 whose top end has never seen the light of day and has had only one oil change in the last two years! Not mine! I have 2000 miles on mine (06WR450) with no noise at all, but I change my oil after every other ride, no racing.

A buddy of mine has an 07WR450 that has around 1000 miles on it and it has developed a "tick". Due to new engine design?

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 25, 2007 - 08:16 AM

A buddy of mine has an 07WR450 that has around 1000 miles on it and it has developed a "tick". Due to new engine design?

The clutch on the 07 is really noisey especially when its engaged in neutral, but a "tick" is not normal. Mine has 500 miles, valves in spec, and no tick.

Tell your bud to break out the feeler gauges:thumbsup:

• ckulzer

Posted September 25, 2007 - 08:17 AM

Sythetic oil and new filter every 10 hours of trailriding. More often when raced.

I have 3 air filters and I rotate them based on physical inspection.

Valve clearance checked twice a year - middle intake valve tightened up slightly but within spec before the rebuild.

None of the motor parts looked like they were on the edge of failure, they just looked worn. I wanted to replace worn parts before old blue gave up the ghost. Pay now or pay later.....

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 25, 2007 - 08:28 AM

Sythetic oil and new filter every 10 hours of trailriding. More often when raced.

I have 3 air filters and I rotate them based on physical inspection.

Valve clearance checked twice a year - middle intake valve tightened up slightly but within spec before the rebuild.

None of the motor parts looked like they were on the edge of failure, they just looked worn. I wanted to replace worn parts before old blue gave up the ghost. Pay now or pay later.....

Sounded like a healthy top end. Did you loose compression? IMHO 10 hrs. on oil is a long time on these bikes even if it is trail riding. These transmissions shear oil like no other. Usually the yamaha valves go a long time after the first adjustment unlike the honda CRFs

• Mutu

Posted September 25, 2007 - 09:41 AM

I changed mine out for a high comp at about 4500kms I think from memory.
The piston and rings were still in great condition (although covered in carbon)!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.