output shaft oil seal problems

5 replies to this topic
  • metalmulisha

Posted September 12, 2007 - 12:30 AM

hey guys just after some assistance i had a leaky output shaft seal so i went to replace it and thought id do the right thing and pull the collar off and replace the oring but i cant remove the collar any ideas??
(the seal is already out) 2006 YZF

• grayracer513

Posted September 12, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Use a center punch in the center drilling hole in the end of the shaft and a hammer to tap the shaft fairly gently straight inward. This will slide the shaft back in the bearings 2-3mm and break the collar free. Then, pull the shaft back toward you, put the trans in gear, and grab the collar at right angles to the shaft with a pair of pliers. Rotate it on the shaft and pull outward.

• andy250

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:38 AM

Make sure you chain isn't too tight when you put it back together. If it is even marginally tight it will cause this seal to leak. A properly adjusted chain on these bikes looks WAY loose. Be sure to measure...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 12, 2007 - 09:28 AM

If chain tension produces a leak at the output shaft, the OS bearing is way beyond usable.

Excessive chain tension may break your hub, the chain itself, or even the crankcase, but it won't cause a leak.

• metalmulisha

Posted September 12, 2007 - 01:41 PM

thanks guys ill give it a shot

• metalmulisha

Posted September 12, 2007 - 02:03 PM

thanks gray worked a treat

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.