2005 450 case bolt

4 replies to this topic
  • Pukeballs

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:00 PM

I made a booboo and overtightend a bolt on the lower right side of my case.:ride: Now the bolt just kinda spins and never gets tight. I called my local bike shop and they said they didnt have that size in stock :bonk: and could get it for me by this weekend. But Im leaving out of town this weekend for a trip to Utah to do some riding and would like to have a fix for this before I go.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to either get a bolt shipped fast, or how to fix this quick?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2007 - 08:39 PM

The bolt is probably not the problem. Most likely, the threads ar stripped in the case, and you need to have a thread repair like a Heli-Coil or Time Sert done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pukeballs

Posted September 12, 2007 - 07:15 AM

Your right grayracer. I took the bolt out again to inspect it further and it already had the heli coil insert threaded on it. Didnt know they would ship it from the factory like that. I dont have a drill press to redrill the case and rethread it so maybe I can just find a new insert and rethread it on the bolt.

Thanks again.

• grayracer513

Posted September 12, 2007 - 07:40 AM

What you see on the bolt is the threads you pulled out of the case, not a Heli-Coil.

And you don't need a drill press. Which bolt is it, exactly?

• Pukeballs

Posted September 12, 2007 - 02:14 PM

What you see on the bolt is the threads you pulled out of the case, not a Heli-Coil.

And you don't need a drill press. Which bolt is it, exactly?

Sorry it took so long to reply. Its the bolt to the right of where the oil hose bolts on the bottom part of the right side case. I did a quick fix and bought a stripped thread repair kit from Napa auto. Its a compound that molds to the female threads. I cant torque it as much as it should be, but its in there and its not leaking oil like it was before. Hopefully it will hold.

I thought you needed a drill press to drill a straight hole into the case. I read it here on the net.
http://www.hotrod.co...ead_repair_fix/

Thanks gray:cheers:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.