WR450F vs KTM 300exc(05-06 models)

14 replies to this topic
  • TXOLDSCH

Posted September 11, 2007 - 02:42 PM

CRF450X vs KTM 300exc

Hello all,
I was wondering if some of guys have experiences with buddys(or other riders)that ride a late model KTM 300exc. I've have been trying to figure out if the KTM is what I'm looking for. I am specifically wondering how that bike stacks up against the 450X,WR450F in terms of ease of riding, capibilities, durability(I know KTM makes a durable,good bike)and general ownership.
I will be riding single track, woods fast play riding. I'm 50 y/o, decent rider, smooth-working on my conditioning. I'm currently on an 02 RM 250 set up for woods. This bike just requires too much rider input/correction-and BEGS to be cut loose!!!-Even w/ 11 oz fww and G2, it's a handful when I start to fatigue. It is not very tolerant of "whiskey throttle!"
I'm aware of the obvious differences of these bikes, but I'm looking for true riding tales/experiences.(ie I made it up, he couldn't type stories-all other things being equal).
I am thinking a 450X or WR450F or KTM 450exc is the ticket. But just maybe the 300 will be to my liking? Tell me your stories! Help me here.
Thanks, appreciate you feedback.
Roger
Yes...this is posted on the CRF450X section. I wanted to get all the Yamaha riders input as well.:thumbsup:

• TXOLDSCH

Posted September 11, 2007 - 04:44 PM

So NO Yamaha WR guys have any encounters/expereinces with KTM 300excs?!
C'mon.
Which would you rather be on up a long, steep, slippery hill?
Through the ditches, ravines and through the trees?

• dr x

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:04 PM

I do anything and everything on my wr, take the dog for walks, ride with my kids, enduro's, street, the only time i think about other bikes is when im on an enduro and im in tight woody sections with exposed roots and adverse cambers, its just a bit of a handful in that type of stuff.

Ive have'nt had a go on a KTM but i think something a bit lighter would be nice. Perhaps if i rode a 300exc i would be converted, my kids have got KTM's and i like the way there put together.

You need to try both bikes if you can and see what the differences are.....

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:17 PM

I own a wr450 but have ridden a few ktm300's.

The ktm is lighter. Not a little lighter, but a lot. The 450 will putt along nicely in any gear, but may wear you out faster.

I had (and still have) a choice and I choose to ride the 450 four stroke. Its heavier, but its tons more powerful and gets 40mpg.

If I were thinking like you (rm250 is too much), then I'd be looking at the wr250. Its smooth, easy to ride and plenty powerful.

• Tough Guy

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:36 PM

I ride with 3 guys that have 300's. They make excellent woods bikes. With what you are riding now you would prolly be more comfortable on the 300, that being said, I ride an 07 WR 450 and have been every where those 300's have been and feel much more at home on it...I am 6'2" and weight 225lbs geared up. I hate the "lag" of the 300 for the woods...the 450 is just super snappy and fits my riding style better.

Chris

• TXOLDSCH

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:37 PM

I own a wr450 but have ridden a few ktm300's.

The ktm is lighter. Not a little lighter, but a lot. The 450 will putt along nicely in any gear, but may wear you out faster.

I had (and still have) a choice and I choose to ride the 450 four stroke. Its heavier, but its tons more powerful and gets 40mpg.

If I were thinking like you (rm250 is too much), then I'd be looking at the wr250. Its smooth, easy to ride and plenty powerful.

Thanks,
I rode an 02 WR250F(different now?). Good low end grunt(I could lug/tractor up a hill!), but when it comes to opening her up on a whooped straight, or opened areas-forget it. Disappointment city. Just "ain't" there.

WR450F would cure that. And be MORE of a tractor on the grades, I know.

More stories?

• dr x

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:48 PM

I hate the "lag" of the 300 for the woods...the 450 is just super snappy and fits my riding style better.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Steep climbs with no run up there great, just crack the throttle and you know your going up there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CORider63

Posted September 11, 2007 - 08:07 PM

I have an '07 WR-450 and I have no problem riding the same trails as the KTM300's.

The one thing I have noticed with all of the KTMs I have ridden with is that they tend to be maintenance hogs. I've seen parts break or come loose on KTM's that I've never seen happen on any of the brands of dirt bikes that I've ridden for nearly 30 years. (Kickstands, Kickstarter, Rear Sprocket Bolts, Front Sprocket Guard, Brakes that need bled routinely, annual replacement of fork seals, etc.)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:20 PM

Thanks,
I rode an 02 WR250F(different now?). Good low end grunt(I could lug/tractor up a hill!), but when it comes to opening her up on a whooped straight, or opened areas-forget it. Disappointment city. Just "ain't" there.

WR450F would cure that. And be MORE of a tractor on the grades, I know.

More stories?

Understood... but the 450 would not be any "less of a handful" to ride in the woods. It would be more.

But if you ride some woods, some open areas, then a 450 would be sweet. I guess that there is always some sort of compromise. btw... I ride mine everywhere the ktm300 riders go.

• NavyNuke

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:25 PM

I have both, 2000 KTM 300MXC equals the exc now. is good for shorter rides, it eats more gas. tighter conditions, since it feels 50 pounds lighter, and does better on MX track ect.

The WR is more stabil especially at speed. has a much higher top speed(due to close ratio on the ktm) and takes a bit less maintance. part of the maintance is the short maintance by previous owner of the 300 though.

• ophir

Posted September 12, 2007 - 10:32 AM

I had a KTM 450exc 2005, just sold it and went BACK to a WR450. I have also ridden several KTM two strokes. Anyone you choose will be a good choice. I think the KTM off road bikes and the WRs and the best out there, besides my XR200R. I would not consider buying outside of Yamaha or KTM. My friend just came off of a KTM 200 and purchased a KTM 450. He rode it for about six months and sold it last night to go back to a two stroke, 300. Match the bike to your riding.

• TXOLDSCH

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:41 PM

"I hate the "lag" of the 300 for the woods...the 450 is just super snappy and fits my riding style better."

Now Chris, what do you mean "lag"? I would think that 300 would be plenty responsive.
Thanks!-R

• Tough Guy

Posted September 13, 2007 - 04:15 PM

"I hate the "lag" of the 300 for the woods...the 450 is just super snappy and fits my riding style better."

Now Chris, what do you mean "lag"? I would think that 300 would be plenty responsive.
Thanks!-R

From my experience....the 300 is no where near as responsive in low rpm situations as my 450...if you are riding in a constant state of preparedness and in the correct gear...sure the 300 is great. The WR 450 however has mad power at the blip of the throttle instantly...I like that. It suits my riding style better it makes jumping logs, holes and hill climbs easier for me...As I stated in my first post in this thread you would probably be well suited for the 300. I'm just not a big fan myself.

Chris

• jpfire

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Well I have a 2002 KTM 300 and a 2005 WR450. You really can't go wrong with either of these two bikes. I have always had a KTM 300 (this is my third one) I have also had A 2003 CRF450, A 2001 WR250, a 2005 WR250, too name a few.

The nickname 3-stroke really does apply to the KTM300. I find that it can do just about anything well. I have also had great luck with dependability with the exception of fork seals. (although my yami just started leaking!)

I loved the wr250 for the tight trails but it didn't have enough poop for me climbing big stuff. The WR450 is alot of fun but I wish it was as light as the KTM 300. All in all, if I could have only one bike I would most likely buy the new KTM 525 that is street legal but mainly a dirt bike. Just have a hard time coming up with 7 to 8 grand. Cheers JP

• ncmountainman

Posted September 14, 2007 - 04:16 PM

i'm guessing OK is fairly flat and open? the wr450 is a much better choice for that terrain,and if it involves tight stuff also then throw on a set of applied 22.5mm offset clamps and if thats not enough get a 05 yz shock (3mm longer) and the thing will turn better than any ktm i've ridden while still maintaining stability. my buddy rides/races a 05 300, and i help him with setup on occasion. i don't really like it at all....its twitchy,it needs linkage,it has no bottom end grunt even with the bottom mods we've done(probly the lag your speeking of) and its not comfortable to ride if your used to a jap layout;and probly a half dozen other things i can't think of. it DOES have excellent power delivery once you get it moving but thats about all the good i can think of....he likes it though:bonk: the WR 450 has so many more options for setup than the ktm its not funny;aftermarket parts abound (most anything from the 05 yz can be fitted) and parts are cheap and easily had (my buddy sometimes has problems with that with the ktm) the WR can be setup for MX or a offroad MX blend or straight offroad whatever you want it is heavier but can be easily lightened (8lbs easy,20lbs w/o estart) go blue you won't regret it:prof: either way you go the forks will need help over stock!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.