WR450 okay in the tight single track found in the NW?

21 replies to this topic
  • brainwashed

Posted September 11, 2007 - 11:27 AM

I'm selling my very fun KTM 250SX that is setup for woods and going Yamaha.

I've decided to get a WR and was serious about an immaculate dual sported 2004 WR450. I'm only 5'9" and now I'm leary of the big bike after doing all of my review reading, and obsessing on the new bike search. :thumbsup:

After the 250SX with lowered woods suspension, I'm starting to get concerned that the WR450 will be a big tank in the woods. Should I perhaps be leaning towards the WR250 instead, even though I won't ever find a dual sported 250? It's hard to decide with out riding the bikes on the trail back to back and that will likely never happen.

Can anyone give me some insight/opinions between the two sizes for riding tight trails like the singletrack at Naches in Washington?

• erickdj

Posted September 11, 2007 - 11:38 AM

Don't worry, I'm only 5'5" and have no problem handling an 07 wr450f. You will be just fine being 5'9". I don't think there's any size difference between the 250 and the 450, it's just a different motor on the same frame.

• spanky454

Posted September 11, 2007 - 12:54 PM

Dude I'm 5'9'' as well and im riding the 07 wr 450. I have no problems with this bike. Yes its a little big but you get use to it and they handle great. Dont get me wrong the 250's are a good bike and you would be happy with it, but once you take a ride on a blue rocket you can never go back.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 11, 2007 - 01:01 PM

I'm selling my very fun KTM 250SX that is setup for woods and going Yamaha.

I've decided to get a WR and was serious about an immaculate dual sported 2004 WR450. I'm only 5'9" and now I'm leary of the big bike after doing all of my review reading, and obsessing on the new bike search. :thumbsup:

After the 250SX with lowered woods suspension, I'm starting to get concerned that the WR450 will be a big tank in the woods. Should I perhaps be leaning towards the WR250 instead, even though I won't ever find a dual sported 250? It's hard to decide with out riding the bikes on the trail back to back and that will likely never happen.

Can anyone give me some insight/opinions between the two sizes for riding tight trails like the singletrack at Naches in Washington?

Naches, Taneum, Cashmere, GPNF, Mad River.... the 450 will be just fine in these conditions. It is not a 2T 250, if you want a light nimble bike you will be disappointed........ I am 6'3" and often complain about it being too much bike during racing especially the tight and technical stuff like Gold Bar. If you are just going to trail ride it will be fine... the tighter Western WA stuff can wear you out on a WR450 but if it was easy why would we want to do it:excuseme: I just sold my 04'.... if you have a line on a plated one in good shape for a good price, I would not hesitate... you'll like it and if you really don't, the fact that it's plated in WA state means you won't lose money on it if you go to re-sell it:applause:

• brainwashed

Posted September 11, 2007 - 01:42 PM

I own an '06 YFZ 450 quad with the 450 motor in it, and I freaking love the motor but imagine what is in the quad is a little detuned compared to the WR.

The WR just feels super tall compared to the KTM I was on, so I'm a little intimidated.

If I get a link for the rear suspension to lower it, is there an 'at home DIY' or a low cost way to lower the forks beyond sliding them up in the triple clamps?

• ophir

Posted September 11, 2007 - 02:03 PM

I spent a couple of days riding my 450 WR atTaneum and found it to be a very good choice.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted September 11, 2007 - 03:04 PM

I am 5'8" and ride a 2003 WR450F in tight and technical East Coast woods and agree with SJMC_DON that the 450 will wear you out. Also the guys that have the 2007 WR450Fs they are benefiting from an engine that has a much lower center of gravity and improved suspension. A 450 will definitely feel more top heavy than a 250 even though the seat height is not different. Plus the 250 will corner more easily due to the centrifugal forces of the smaller and lighter engine. I was thinking of getting my suspension professionally lowered but am thinking that I will go for a 250 instead. Perhaps the new 2008 WR250R which is street legal but I am waiting to hear the reviews/tests. Also, like SJMC_DON said if you have a line on a plated WR for a great price then that is also a good thing too. Either way you face a win/win situation. Make a choice and never look back.

• cltrobd

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:54 PM

I came from an RM125 two stroke to an 06 WR450 and I have not experienced any difference in the feel between the two bikes when it comes to tight technical single track riding. If anything the 450 is easier to ride. The wide gear ratio of the WR makes it feel like I'm always in the right gear - it is very forgiving. The only time I ever notice the weight difference is when the bike is sitting still. It is difficult at times to get the WR on the stand.

• brainwashed

Posted September 12, 2007 - 07:53 AM

I am 5'8" and ride a 2003 WR450F in tight and technical East Coast woods and agree with SJMC_DON that the 450 will wear you out. Also the guys that have the 2007 WR450Fs they are benefiting from an engine that has a much lower center of gravity and improved suspension. A 450 will definitely feel more top heavy than a 250 even though the seat height is not different. Plus the 250 will corner more easily due to the centrifugal forces of the smaller and lighter engine. I was thinking of getting my suspension professionally lowered but am thinking that I will go for a 250 instead. Perhaps the new 2008 WR250R which is street legal but I am waiting to hear the reviews/tests. Also, like SJMC_DON said if you have a line on a plated WR for a great price then that is also a good thing too. Either way you face a win/win situation. Make a choice and never look back.

This is great feedback mtnman. It's true that I'm looking at a win/win here between the 250 and 450 and shouldn't stress the decision too much. I don't think I'll ever get a chance to get a plated 450 at this price for some time. Especially one that is set up as well as this one is with it's clean history.

When I think about the bike I imagine my next bike I imagine something that I can lug around and loft the front end at slower speeds and ride at lower revs. I think this sounds like the 450.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's been a help.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 12, 2007 - 07:53 AM

I came from an RM125 two stroke to an 06 WR450 and I have not experienced any difference in the feel between the two bikes when it comes to tight technical single track riding. If anything the 450 is easier to ride. The wide gear ratio of the WR makes it feel like I'm always in the right gear - it is very forgiving. The only time I ever notice the weight difference is when the bike is sitting still. It is difficult at times to get the WR on the stand.

I don't know what North Carolina has to offer for Tight and Technical but I have a YZ125 and a WR450 and they are night and day in terms of how they feel in the in the slow gnarly stuff.......:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Albie

Posted September 12, 2007 - 03:30 PM

Wow, I have a '05 KX 250 (9 OZ flywheel weight) and a '06 WR 450 and to me they are night and day differences. The KX is sooo much easier to ride in the tight stuff. But it does have it's pitfalls being a smoker.

• cltrobd

Posted September 12, 2007 - 07:06 PM

I hear people talk about whipping smaller bikes around easier vs. larger bikes all the time. I should have explained that I'm a large guy (6'5, 230) and that may be the difference in my experiences.

I really don't feel the weight of the 450 when riding. There is no doubt that there is a distinct weight difference on the scale. Though as I mentioned I really only notice when sitting still. Leaning it way over and pulling it back up to go the other way is made easier by the smooth power. On the two stroke, if I made a mistake and wasn't in the right place within a gear or didn't slip the clutch right, the full weight of the bike was felt. The 450 is much more forgiving. I'm definitely a believer in more power after owning a 450.

Taking a single track straight up the side of a mountain I'd much rather have the control and power of the 450. I blaze my own trails on private property in the mountains of NC so when I say technical, it is. I encounter rocks larger than my bike, fallen old growth trees, creeks where no person has ever stepped foot, let alone a bike. It just doesn't seem to matter what gear you're in, there is power in reserve.

I think riding style has a lot to do with how much you'll feel the weight between two bikes as well. If you ride watching every little obstacle right in front of your tire, you will be worn out in no time and will certainly feel the effects of the extra weight. Ride heads up and look a bit of distance out from your bike and you'll be less fatigued.

• brainwashed

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:12 AM

I'm leaning back towards the 250 now, if I can find a clean '04. I think I would even be happy with an old '00 era XR 250R to be honest.

I really just want a quiet, lightish bike with semi modern chassis and suspension and manageable power. The 450's feel monstrous to me on the showroom floor when I pick them up. The 250 feels tall, but manageable in it's girth. I'll be riding with my family on slow trail bikes poking around so I really don't a bike that will ever feel like a handful. The motor I'm sure will be awesome on the 450 but I won't be able to dictate the pace at all and I don't know which bike will be less of a headache puttering around.

Honestly the TTR 250 would probobly work great, I just can't bring myself to buy one as my only dirt bike even though I'm sure it's practical.

I guess what I want is a bike that is quiet and mellow like a TTR but can once in a bluw moon be allowed to go to a practice day at a MX track or 'go ride with the guys' with out the family. Does that sound like a WR 250 to you?

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 13, 2007 - 08:33 AM

want it to be a dual sport, go with 450! As far as weight I think the BS about the four 450 being to heavy is for whiners. I'm 5'8" weigh 155lbs. If it works you to hard, you just need to get in better shape. My 450 is plated and I find the 450 to be pretty tame on the road and it will lug around at lower RPM when going through a neighborhood. I can do 55mph and not be vibrating as bad.

• Albie

Posted September 13, 2007 - 12:24 PM

It's all relative. A buddy who's about 6'5" and around 260 sold his WR and bought a YZ 450 because he wanted the lighter,easier handling bike. He races X country and hare scrambles. We ride out at a place that I reckon is pretty technical, they hold a race there called the Last Man Standing. You may have heard of it. It's the race that so far a 4 stroke has never finished. :thumbsup:

Out there I almost always ride the KX because the lighter weight and quicker handling makes a difference at the end of the day. I can ride longer and of course have more fun on that bike compared to my WR, DRZ, and even my EXC 450. Just a fact of life. Has nothing to do with being in shape or not, it's a matter of physics. Maybe because I'm an old school 2T rider I'm just more comfortable on them in the hard stuff.

• Bandit9

Posted September 13, 2007 - 01:51 PM

I'll second that! My KTM450exc was pretty good on the trails, but when I wanted to go racing, I hated it. It wore me out. To me there is a HUGE difference b/t two. Now I'm on the "two bikes" plan. Going to keep my 250 2 stroke for racing or serious trailriding, and get another 450/510/525 DS for trail riding and exploring and overnight stays.

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 13, 2007 - 02:00 PM

would you guys Dual sport your 2t? I think he said he wanted a dual sport wr.

• Bandit9

Posted September 13, 2007 - 02:57 PM

I would dual sport a 2 stroke just to be legal jumping out of the woods and on to a fire road. I wouldn't use it as a Dual Sport bike though. That is what the 4 stroke would be for.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 13, 2007 - 03:18 PM

would you guys Dual sport your 2t? I think he said he wanted a dual sport wr.

He lives in WA state, he is very lucky to have a line on a plated WR..... we are governed by tree hugging retards up here:banghead:

• brainwashed

Posted September 14, 2007 - 08:27 AM

Yep I'm in WA state, and it's very difficult to get a dual sported WR. I'm lucky I have a line on one.

I just sold the KTM 250 SX. I'm actually sad to see it go. It was close to being perfectly set up, but just too fast for me right now.

Looks like I'm down to three bikes. I should be looking at them tonight.

1. Plated '04 WR450F - this bike is owned by a buddy and in such good shape it's better than new for $4500 obo

2. very low hours '03 WR250F - know nothing about it other than it's stock with no mods done $3300 obo

3. a low hour '04 250X with 400mi on the odo and all stock $3300 obo

I'd love to get the 450 due to the plate, but I don't think I can talk to wife into letting me dip into savings for it. I'm $1800 short after the sale of my KTM for $3100 and to be honest, I think it's too burly for me and how I want the bike to ride.

I'll probobly end up on the WR250 after talking to the owner, but I've yet to see the bike in person.

The 250X model in general sounds incredible on paper, but I'm really happy with the durability of the Yamaha motor and know nothing about the 250X's durability - but it's a Honda so I imagine it will be a good generic choice and hard to go wrong with it if this particular bike been taken care of. The AL frame on the X would be great as I plan on having the bike for the long term.
The '04 X vs. the '03 WR also seems to have the Honda fitting my 5'9" frame better stock. The WR feels tall to me.

I might end up going red when comparing the two 250's in person.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.