Which exhaust should I buy? XR650L

48 replies to this topic
  • heavyhitter

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:47 AM

I have a Q2 coming tomorrow Ill let you know what I think I got it new for $260!

• martinfan30

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:13 AM

I've had this system for three seasons now and it's bulletproof.

hows it sound? hows the finish now after awhile?

• martinfan30

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:14 AM

My bad. Its an '06 L.

it had a rack on it from the dealer? they must have put it on themselves. got any pics of it?

• flyin vee

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:43 AM

Trippinwilly, I am not sure how much power it added by itself. When I put on the Q2 I also installed an edelbrock carb, uni filter and some other assorted goodies. All of it together added several ponies. If you are going to add a higher flow exhaust you should also put in a higher flow air filter so they complement each other. Hope this helps, OZ :thumbsup:

• jonr3

Posted September 12, 2007 - 09:32 AM

I put on a ProCircuit T4. Gobs more power and response. It's pretty loud though, but I like it that way. Also has a removable spark arrester.

• trippinwilly

Posted September 12, 2007 - 09:54 AM

I have already completed Dave's mods, UNI filter, desmogged, uncorked, etc...... Now I am just looking for a nice slip on that looks good and adds some performance. I want a nice deep tone, but not too loud. Thanks for everyones replies, keep em coming!

James

• trippinwilly

Posted September 12, 2007 - 09:54 AM

I have a Q2 coming tomorrow Ill let you know what I think I got it new for $260!

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

James

• trippinwilly

Posted September 12, 2007 - 09:56 AM

I put on a ProCircuit T4. Gobs more power and response. It's pretty loud though, but I like it that way. Also has a removable spark arrester.

Is it that ping ping sound or is it a real deep thump thump sound?

• trippinwilly

Posted September 12, 2007 - 11:26 AM

What does everyone else think?

• jonr3

Posted September 12, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Is it that ping ping sound or is it a real deep thump thump sound?

It's the loud thump thump sound. If you want to know what it sounds like, watch the movie "Dust to Glory". It's the muffler Honda's A team was using. At one pit stop, you can even see the T4 sticker!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rideaide

Posted September 12, 2007 - 03:05 PM

The XR's Only pipe is the only exhaust available that you can also use a large diameter header. Both come in stainless steel. Check out this link for more info.

http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=77

• Whiteman

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:56 PM

This is from the XRsOnly web site above.

"The XR's Only Competition Exhaust includes a U.S. Forestry Service approved spark arrestor and includes XR's Only Performance Jetting Specifications, which you won't find any your average exhaust manufacturer. XR's Only Performance Jets are available below."

I guess I got my pipe from a bad patch. The first pipe they sent me the end cap would not sit flush on the end of the pipe and the packing flew out and clogged the screen. They did send me a second pipe which has a small leak on the end cap but it is OK. Performance Jetting Specifications is a joke too, I didn't get anything in the box with my pipe and told them. They told me 56/158 is all I needed to know. Their products are good but the customer service sucks. Seems like it maybe getting better but I would like a third pipe from them because mine looks like sh*% with burn markes on it.

• goblin127

Posted September 12, 2007 - 05:51 PM

hows it sound? hows the finish now after awhile?

Every thing is fine. It has a slight gold and bluish tinge to the header,but the rest is as it came. Its louder and it probably needs to be repacked. No leaks anywhere. And it does sound real good.

• Suikerland

Posted September 13, 2007 - 04:02 AM

Staintune.

Completely stainless steel, never needs repacking, beautifully made (looks hand-made), will outlast the bike.
Removable tip depending on how much airflow / noise you want. Performance is good.
IMO, best sounding thumper pipe I've ever heard, even better sound than Akrapovic and Pro Circuit.
Very deep bass sound, really barks when opened up. Gotta hear it to believe it.

http://www.staintune.com.au/

Another really good sounding pipe is Dam from Belgium, I have one on my KTM. Not as deep as the Staintune , but very nice sound. Also stainless, very well made. Very slim, compact pipe. Not sure if the make it for XR - check www.damexhaust.com

The site is in Belgian but they speak English if you call them.

• trippinwilly

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:17 AM

It's the loud thump thump sound. If you want to know what it sounds like, watch the movie "Dust to Glory". It's the muffler Honda's A team was using. At one pit stop, you can even see the T4 sticker!:ride:

Thanks for the response, I am going to check it out!

James :thumbsup:

• trippinwilly

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for everyones help the past couple days helping me decide on an exhaust. I think I have broken it down between the FMF powercore 4, the Pro Circuit T-4, and the Big Gun. What are the pro's and con's of these. I know all of the background info about them, specs, etc.... I just want to know your personal opinion, as I am sure it is different then what their websites say. Thanks,

James

• martinfan30

Posted September 13, 2007 - 07:37 AM

the staintune exhaust system looks tempting. i really like the header that it has split tubes.

• trippinwilly

Posted September 13, 2007 - 12:26 PM

Anybody else? I really want to get the right one and not be dissapointed?

• Suikerland

Posted September 13, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for everyones help the past couple days helping me decide on an exhaust. I think I have broken it down between the FMF powercore 4, the Pro Circuit T-4, and the Big Gun. What are the pro's and con's of these. I know all of the background info about them, specs, etc.... I just want to know your personal opinion, as I am sure it is different then what their websites say. Thanks,

James

Don't wanna hurt anybody's business, but this is just a fact - I've read a lot of negatives about Big Gun - they seem to have a very short life. Rivets popping out, end caps blowing out, etc. Do a search.

• Suikerland

Posted September 13, 2007 - 12:59 PM

the staintune exhaust system looks tempting. i really like the header that it has split tubes.

yeah header looks great, I got the muffler only though. I don't think I'll be shopping for mufflers ever again....
When i get rich I'll get the headers.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.