2007 YZ450 Flywheel weight???

8 replies to this topic
  • alstar250

Posted September 10, 2007 - 11:18 AM

What's up guys...I live in Vegas and do a vast majority of my riding in the wide-open southwest desert and have been talking to a couple of guys out here that swear by flywheel weights for this application. Have any of you swapped out to a heavier flywheel and if so how heavy and what did you think of it? I noticed GYTR and Steahly weights from 4oz to just over 9oz. Those guys both raved about stalling not being an issue but for me it hasn't be thusfar. I do notice my bike blows up the rear tire easily in this desert hard pack and gets through the gears very fast...but I love power (gonna do cams/exhaust very soon) and I'm slighty worried about power loss, so if I do go that route maybe the GYTR 4.8oz weight. Whatchya guys think??? Thanks

• WB450

Posted September 10, 2007 - 11:31 AM

My first ride with my new heavier of the two GYTR flywheels was Saturday, and I Love it. I ride mostly single track in the woods and desert, and after Saturday I think it's just what I needed.

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2007 - 11:56 AM

There is no power loss with a flywheel weight. The explosiveness of the engine in low gear is dulled a little, but only a little. Welded weights are more effective than bolted ones.

http://www.thumperta...950#post5244950

• rexbond007

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:41 PM

got the gytr off road 9 oz little over a month ago, best money spent on my bike.

i ride tight bush trails. stalls less , less clutching, more control on hill climbs,
i can bog the motor and it will pick up with great throttle response.
and absolutly no power loss at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KAS

Posted September 11, 2007 - 06:12 AM

Interesting.

I tried a 9oz FWW on my YZ250 2t and hated it.

But the 450 could use a little help with stalling. My buddy has a Steahly flywheel that he's gonna let me try before I buy.

• alstar250

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:29 AM

There is no power loss with a flywheel weight. The explosiveness of the engine in low gear is dulled a little, but only a little. Welded weights are more effective than bolted ones.

http://www.thumperta...950#post5244950

Thanks gray...I was actually just going to replace the flywheel itself rather than just add weight.

• alstar250

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:30 AM

My first ride with my new heavier of the two GYTR flywheels was Saturday, and I Love it. I ride mostly single track in the woods and desert, and after Saturday I think it's just what I needed.

Is your bike stock (power wise)?

• WB450

Posted September 11, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Is your bike stock (power wise)?

I have the Zip Ty carb mod, stock pipe with PMB end cap, so I guess it is.

• rtgincnm

Posted September 11, 2007 - 06:23 PM

Only a couple of short rides on mine. Runs great in the sand. Still has good throttle response and wheelies good. Really notice the smoother power in the rocky, technical stuff.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.